Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of you insisting we bring him in on the back of 3 - 4 big marks. Make sure you look at his overall impact on the game.

He showed all the glimpses in the world early, the run at the ball, the jump, the lift off. Took a couple of big intercept marks but come quarter 4 and he was spent. Absolutely busted his gut early but the gas ran out quickly as one would expect.
Still, great to see him run out more than 5 minutes here and there and with another (minimum) 2 games at VFL level before coming into senior consideration, will allow Aaron time to build on that tank.

For those of you insisting we bring him in on the back of 3 - 4 big marks. Make sure you look at his overall impact on the game.

He showed all the glimpses in the world early, the run at the ball, the jump, the lift off. Took a couple of big intercept marks but come quarter 4 and he was spent. Absolutely busted his gut early but the gas ran out quickly as one would expect.
Still, great to see him run out more than 5 minutes here and there and with another (minimum) 2 games at VFL level before coming into senior consideration, will allow Aaron time to build on that tank.
Do you think we have made it clear to Aaron what he needs to achieve in order to make it into the senior team? Ie. if he plays the next three games with suitable performances as told to him by the coaches after every game, he'll be given a chance to play senior football? Seems like keeping players in the lurch with no set timeline for return or promotion isn't doing a lot of good.

Do you think we have made it clear to Aaron what he needs to achieve in order to make it into the senior team? Ie. if he plays the next three games with suitable performances as told to him by the coaches after every game, he'll be given a chance to play senior football? Seems like keeping players in the lurch with no set timeline for return or promotion isn't doing a lot of good.

Ok. So he’s got the same issue as 80% of the senior side.

The kid looked damn good imo & I think he should be given a crack after two more games on the VFL..

Play him the way we play Gleeson. He is such a talent & has made up a fair bit of ground. Clearly working harder than ever before.

I reckon he could be special

The talent is there. It's the fitness that will be letting him down.

Perhaps the club can maybe reduce it's expectations on what he should b doing (gps numbers).

The kid looked damn good imo & I think he should be given a crack after two more games on the VFL..

Play him the way we play Gleeson. He is such a talent & has made up a fair bit of ground. Clearly working harder than ever before.

I reckon he could be special
Even though he did run out of puff at the end he never stopped trying which is what was really impressive. The question is still forward or back?

The talent is there. It's the fitness that will be letting him down.

Perhaps the club can maybe reduce it's expectations on what he should b doing (gps numbers).
I'd let him sit deep forward all game, obviously he'll still have to run for leads but if he's not having to push up the ground he won't run out of steam as quick.

I'd let him sit deep forward all game, obviously he'll still have to run for leads but if he's not having to push up the ground he won't run out of steam as quick.

Nah, I'd stop throwing him around for a while. His natural game is in defence, build his confidence for a long time.

He is a deep defender (hb/fb lines)

In todays day and age, you simply can't carry blokes who are less than 80% to which he is

Nice to see him named in the bests in the VFL - would this be the first time that has happened? I don't recall him having many big games - lots of possessions or influence - that would have him feature in the best players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also had a minor niggle towards the end of the game. Nothing serious as it was not iced.

As you say he is not their fitness wise yet but it was the best I have seen him play for the longest period for a long while.
He needs to just play some good footy and be enjoying it right now. They have changed his training. He told the club he thought he was too bulky and struggling to get around so they have backed of the gym and are doing more aerobic work and he has slimmed down and is moving a lot better. If they take their time and get him right he can be the Brendan Goddard who also take contested marks and defends as well.

Maybe the TV is deceiving but he seems a bit bigger than last year - Though Francis was in very good shape in July 2017 - Think we need to be patient and have him play after the bye - The one quality he has which we lack as a group is hardness at the ball - And with Gleeson still in a moon boot it's unlikely he will feature in 2018.

Based on his game today I'd say that he's continued progression in form and a fortnight away from senior selection.

He was flying for everything and taking some marks and he'll take even more. He still looks really sharp.

He was more involved throughout the whole match today and dominated the second quarter.

He was probably legitimately in the bests though he was robbed a bit in the last quarter, thrown forward and Sandi controlled most of the last quarter.

This week was an improvement on last. We should be thinking that Franga will come good.

Based on his game today I'd say that he's continued progression in form and a fortnight away from senior selection.

He was flying for everything and taking some marks and he'll take even more. He still looks really sharp.

He was more involved throughout the whole match today and dominated the second quarter.

He was probably legitimately in the bests though he was robbed a bit in the last quarter, thrown forward and Sandi controlled most of the last quarter.

This week was an improvement on last. We should be thinking that Franga will come good.

He keeps up this form and he will debut (for this season)after the bye for sure.

There's a saving grace in Francis not being an immediate senior hit. He's actually being tasked with playing key defence and not just as an unfettered floater. He's bossing the VFL backline at the moment and it's probably teaching him more than floating around a back flank in the seniors picking up cheapies.

There's a saving grace in Francis not being an immediate senior hit. He's actually being tasked with playing key defence and not just as an unfettered floater. He's bossing the VFL backline at the moment and it's probably teaching him more than floating around a back flank in the seniors picking up cheapies.
Also playing in a team that has spirit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back