Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we really think Francis was that good yesterday?

He was okay. Did a few nice things and also had claims to being worst on ground in the first half.

He looks to me to be the player that played the first couple of games on return at the end of last year. Low on confidence.

Clearly he just needs time to get used to the pace of the game. He doesn't have the run to chase the game so he really needs to be super confident about his positioning.

I'd give him 5/10 yesterday.

He was okay. Did a few nice things and also had claims to being worst on ground in the first half.

He looks to me to be the player that played the first couple of games on return at the end of last year. Low on confidence.

Clearly he just needs time to get used to the pace of the game. He doesn't have the run to chase the game so he really needs to be super confident about his positioning.

Well if he keeps up a 5/10 level performance for the rest of the year he’s probs our Crichton Medalist at this rate.

Lead the side for contested marks as a backman.

Him, Hurley and Ambrose saved our ass far to often for my liking.

He's like a 20/20 cricketer right now playing test matches against the West Indies pace attack of the 80's. While he may show flashes and go for a quick 20-30 the net result is a loss.

He was borderline yesterday but needs to keep getting played until he develops a tank. There is nothing stopping anyone developing the tank. All it requires is effort and the will to push yourself.

Francis improved after half time & showed what he can do when he's on but along with the rest of them, was mostly poor in the first. I suspect Francis is easily dragged down to the level of those around him. The 2nd quarter play where the Saints player marked in front of goal & Francis along with Parish & McGrath just walk away & allow the Saint to play on & run into goal still has me grinding my teeth. Really poor stuff equally as bad as Langford running off the ground.

Yesterday was his 12th game.

12th.

He’s going extremely, extremely well.

His game is being talked about as though it was one of his final 3 last year. Why do we need to overrate his performance because he is an emerging player?

Clearly he is getting used to the pace of AFL again. He can't just canter through matches so it's no surprise that he's looking like he did in his first few matches last year, as I said.

It's not like his position would be under threat. He's going okay. He's going to get a s**t load better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's like a 20/20 cricketer right now playing test matches against the West Indies pace attack of the 80's. While he may show flashes and go for a quick 20-30 the net result is a loss.

He was borderline yesterday but needs to keep getting played until he develops a tank. There is nothing stopping anyone developing the tank. All it requires is effort and the will to push yourself.

If Jeremy McGovern can do it, I have no doubt Francis can. At this point I don't even think it would be his tank. I reckon it would just be the confidence to "hurt himself". No doubt his endurance will improve but he's not playing a super high intensity running role so he'll be fine as he is, though he's not going to be in a position to play on a Membrey/Tom McDonald who would run him into the ground.

I mean, if Francis gets a 5, what are you giving Baguley or Zaharakis? Because he was at least 5x better than those guys.

Francis played a good, solid game and took some really good marks

I mean, if Francis gets a 5, what are you giving Baguley or Zaharakis? Because he was at least 5x better than those guys.

Francis played a good, solid game and took some really good marks
5/5=1
so they get 1.

so about right.
Francis was in the top 5 yday. had a very solid game.

Love this - mainly because of how hawks fans would feel reading it.

Along with toughness and his precision left foot, Hodge's leadership is a massive chunk of what he offered.
For mine Francis is a very different type and it's hard to compare the two.

However - I do reckon he could emerge as a real hard nut. Hoping so - we need a few.
Very much a Hodge clone.
Bigger and better I think.

What does it matter? He was okay. It doesn't matter that we had players worse. It doesn't make his performance any better.

You not providing an answer shows that you know why it matters, it shows relativity in your rating.

Ten blokes get a 1/10 if you’re giving Francis a 5, he played well

You not providing an answer shows that you know why it matters, it shows relativity in your rating.

Ten blokes get a 1/10 if you’re giving Francis a 5, he played well

I didn't realised my assessment was standardized.

I'm concerned with performances of footballers on a scale of what I perceive to be good generally which doesnt change week to week in conditions at Etihad. If he played that game in pouring rain then yes I'd weight it.

But if you want to have an argument about semantics fine. There's nothing like getting to the point.

Controversial opinion, but I like Bruce's pronounciation of 'Frarncis.' Don't @ me.
You South Aussie or something?

EDIT: Although, I guess because Frang is South Aussie, Frarncis is the correct pronunciation as that's how his family would pronounce it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back