Ranked 18th in the AFL for total clearances
Ranked 14th in the AFL for total turnovers
Ranked 3rd in the AFL for total clangers
Ranked 10th in the AFL for total centre clearances
Ranked 1st in the AFL for clangers per game
Ranked 12th in the AFL for clearances per game
Ranked 7th in the AFL for turnovers per game
Ranked 10th in the AFL for centre clearances per game
Career high disposals in a game (42, versus Carlton in round 6, 2019)

Standout

Round 6, 2019 (versus Carlton): Dragged Hawthorn across the line against the struggling Blues with a career best 42 disposals. During the first half, it almost seemed that it was O'Meara against the Blues midfield, as the Blues built a 31 point lead by half-time at York Park. However, with O'Meara cajoling and pushing his teammates all the way, the Hawks fought their way back to beat Carlton by five points.

Shocker

Round 7, 2019 (versus Melbourne): From chocolates to boiled lollies, it seemed that the Hawks believed their own hype too much as they slumped to a shock five point defeat to the Demons at the MCG. O'Meara had limited influence over the contest, with 19 disposals and seven tackles, although he did have five clearances. It was a loss that would prove crucial in Hawthorn's fortunes at the tail end of the season.

10 - Jaeger O'Meara (2018)

Great to see him fit. Hope to see him with more time and space next year, putting on those jets we know he has.

Has all the moves and the ability to become our best player.
Some yucky disposal stats (turnovers & clangers etc.) in the original post but as you say, an extra half-second to break away or steady his disposal & he'll be massively damaging next season. Looking forward to him hitting the scoreboard more as well

Everyone has been rightly excited about Worpel's year but it's worth remembering the three Hawks nominated by their team mates for MVP this year we're Hendo, Macca and Jaeger

Didn't see as much explosiveness from him in the second half of the year, but he did manage to play the whole season. Perhaps he might've benefited from a rest or two in the back half of the year if we'd had the midfield depth to allow it, which of course we didn't. Will be really interesting to see the role he plays next year with Tom taking over more of the inside midfielder duties.

Didn't see as much explosiveness from him in the second half of the year, but he did manage to play the whole season. Perhaps he might've benefited from a rest or two in the back half of the year if we'd had the midfield depth to allow it, which of course we didn't. Will be really interesting to see the role he plays next year with Tom taking over more of the inside midfielder duties.
O'Meara was a big reason Wingard and Worpel were able find some space in the middle. His defensive efforts were great and have been overlooked by most. Watch some of the highlights of Worpel and Wingard getting the loose ball with a bit of space and driving it forward, O'Meara (and sometimes Shiels) was the one putting his body between the ball and the opposition. He was rarely afforded that luxury by our other mids which often meant he was trying to spin out of traffic or get tackled by 2 players.

Mitchell returning will automatically give O'Meara more space. Add in Worpel, Wingard and Shiels and we have a very dynamic midfield (ball hunters, class, ability to hit the scoreboard and defensive efforts).

Hoping he can resume the trajectory he was on in 2018 once Titch returns. He was starting to regain some of that burst and class that he made his name for at GC before he had to go full inside and carry such a big load this year. Remember that Brisbane game where he kicked 4 goals? I think Titch will free him up to play that role more and his body will benefit from having another full season under his belt.

Pre-knee he looked like he was going to be the next Judd. He may never get to that level now but if he can get anywhere near it, with Titch and Worpel doing the grunt work, then our midfield will be hard to stop.

As a thought they may of changed his kicking biomechanics to put less strain on the patella. Who knows but let's hope it's on the improve in 2020

Has all the moves and the ability to become our best player.
Signed after reading for awhile to see if this post is actually serious?

Poor mans Liam Shiels, at this stage. Long way from being our best, long way.

Just because he might be considered hansom by some doesn't mean he's in our best players or capable of being in our best or that he should be bloody captain. Injury has most likely robbed of him that. He is a role player now. If he gets better then being our 4th or 5th best mid then fantastic.

As for being captain, what about a bloke called Mitchel? After that Worpel.

I believe it was this trade that made our footy department, and a certain individual, to no longer promise to get the deal done no matter what - lesson learned. But the lesson may have bitten too far, since Hill is about to slip through our fingers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because he might be considered hansom by some doesn't mean he's in our best players or capable of being in our best or that he should be bloody captain. Injury has most likely robbed of him that. He is a role player now. If he gets better then being our 4th or 5th best mid then fantastic.

I believe it was this trade that made our footy department, and a certain individual, to no longer promise to get the deal done no matter what - lesson learned. But the lesson may have bitten too far, since Hill is about to slip through our fingers.

This is possibly the worst take I’ve ever seen on this forum.

Some weird takes both ways in this thread.

He is a very good player. An absolute professional and a leader, possibly the best one we have. I’d make him captain next year.

But he’s not Judd and he’s not the best player on the list. He will benefit greatly from having Mitchell back. If Worpel continues his trajectory and Wingard gets fit enough to play long midfield minutes, he will be part of a strong, accountable midfield group, especially at the stoppages

The fact he has played two full seasons now and has become a very good player and leader should be celebrated.

Youre right, I have no right be optimistic about his next few years at our club. He keeps missing games through injury and besides he was never touted to have the ability of someone like Liam Shiels, let alone Judd or Ablett.

Youre right, I have no right be optimistic about his next few years at our club. He keeps missing games through injury and besides he was never touted to have the ability of someone like Liam Shiels, let alone Judd or Ablett.
Mate, you've misread it.

I can't lose. If he develops further we have the best midfield in the comp. If he doesn't he ain't to bad as the last banana in the bunch.

As for captain: Impy showed more on the field this year from a "follow me" type of attitude, which is what we've lacked since the greats departed. Everyone has different perspectives on what traits a captain should have. Just maybe I'm taking the piss about his looks?

But who knows, as I said I can't lose. If I'm wrong Hawthorn win, so I'm happy as hell to be wrong. I'll take being wrong everyday for another flag. Hell yeah.

It's not personal Bud, it's an opinion.

Mate, you’ve misread it.

It's not personal Bud, it's an opinion.
Your ‘opinion’ is that he’s a “poor man’s Liam Shiels”.

And you have the gall to ask me if my post was serious. Perhaps next time you think about signing in to reply to one of posts, don’t.

Some weird takes both ways in this thread.

He is a very good player. An absolute professional and a leader, possibly the best one we have. I’d make him captain next year.

But he’s not Judd and he’s not the best player on the list. He will benefit greatly from having Mitchell back. If Worpel continues his trajectory and Wingard gets fit enough to play long midfield minutes, he will be part of a strong, accountable midfield group, especially at the stoppages

The fact he has played two full seasons now and has become a very good player and leader should be celebrated.

Never said he was Judd. I said before he did his knee he looked like he could have reached those heights. He won’t now.

Your ‘opinion’ is that he’s a “poor man’s Liam Shiels”.

And you have the gall to ask me if my post was serious. Perhaps next time you think about signing in to reply to one of posts, don’t.
Yes Sir :poo:

Facts are mate he can't run out games because he runs out of puff early on and his disposal by footy is horrible, so yes Liam (battle hardened) Shiels is a better player atm. So is Worpel in his second season.

But how dare I have a different opinion hey. :)

Yes Sir :poo:

Facts are mate he can't run out games because he runs out of puff early on and his disposal by footy is horrible, so yes Liam (battle hardened) Shiels is a better player atm. So is Worpel in his second season.

But how dare I have a different opinion hey. :)
You posted on bigfooty for the first time just to contradict me, why do you think it's me that has the problem with other's opinions?

If you want to find other geniuses like you who think Jaeger is our worst midfielder, try the Essendon board.

Strappingyounglad, you're either a troll or got on the booze after work and had a bit of time on your hands. Or maybe its both!

Yeah bud, I was sitting under a bridge dressed in a troll suit enjoying a couple of Teachers, after finishing scaring for the day and thought you know what, the comment about O’Meara having all the tools to become our best player deserve to be called into question because I was a drunk troll with nothing better to do.

It had absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact he’d have to do the following to become our best player, all while managing a injury for the rest of his life:

Over take the current Brownlow Medalist abilities
Over take Sicily’s marking and kicking abilities
Over take Breust's evasiveness and nous
Over take Wingard's explosiveness, footy nous, tricks, skills and downright cheek of being a freak
Over take a second year player on a upward trend in Worpel - who thinks quick and so reacts quicker (awareness), if you’ve noticed

His square jaw ain’t going to help him achieve any of this, but it does seem that is what he is judged for on here at times, rather than his actual football ability, which is limited due to injury, sadly.

Should I go on with other players on our list or are people going to keep playing the man, rather then allow a difference of opinion?

Yeah bud, I was sitting under a bridge dressed in a troll suit enjoying a couple of Teachers, after finishing scaring for the day and thought you know what, the comment about O’Meara having all the tools to become our best player deserve to be called into question because I was a drunk troll with nothing better to do.

It had absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact he’d have to do the following to become our best player, all while managing a injury for the rest of his life:

Over take the current Brownlow Medalist abilities
Over take Sicily’s marking and kicking abilities
Over take Breust's evasiveness and nous
Over take Wingard's explosiveness, footy nous, tricks, skills and downright cheek of being a freak
Over take a second year player on a upward trend in Worpel - who thinks quick and so reacts quicker (awareness), if you’ve noticed

His square jaw ain’t going to help him achieve any of this, but it does seem that is what he is judged for on here at times, rather than his actual football ability, which is limited due to injury, sadly.

Should I go on with other players on our list or are people going to keep playing the man, rather then allow a difference of opinion?
Mate you are the only one bringing up his looks... A lot... Nothing wrong with being a little jealous, most of us are.

You said he is a poor mans Liam Shiels

Last season he averaged more disposals, clearances, contested possessions while copping regular attention from opposition teams. He was huge to start the year and started to slow down in the second half probably from carrying such a heavy load but he is 100% a better player than Shiels currently.

So you're jealous are you.

I ain't.

Sorry, but I don't swing that way.

I watch him as a football player playing for the Hawks, nothing more. I think my assumption that some on here judge him more highly for reasons other then football has just been proven. Thanks.
Omg dude you have to be trolling... it was a light hearted jab at the fact you keep going on about his looks.

You said Jaeger is a poor mans Shiels, that tells me you are a poor judge of football or don’t particularly like Jaeger for whatever reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back