Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that he’s shown he can accumulate I have no doubt he’ll be a gun mid. Could be a star

Now he has broken out when he nails the first spin and snap goal like that one GR posted up the page the media frothing will begin. and once it starts it'll take a while to go away.

Now he has broken out when he nails the first spin and snap goal like that one GR posted up the page the media frothing will begin. and once it starts it'll take a while to go away.

Don’t think we’ve had anyone quite like him. He’ll give us loads of highlights over his career. Can’t teach what he has. North are building a pretty unique midfield. Nothing blue collar about our midfield.

Except their attack on the ball. :thumbsu:

Jy already has a highlight reel that most players would kill for over a career.

Imagine our midfield when Cunners is 30 - 35 (even if he doesn't play that long)? Are we dreaming or this genuine? It feels like it could be very dominant anything.

At the start of the year I was wanting him as a crafty fwd didn’t feel he had the pace or the head to be a mid but geez he’s excelled in the last month, was everywhere tonight, already looks like a veteran mid, definitely doesn’t need that blistering pace with his clearance ability. Fk I haven’t been this excited about our youth since 1993.

I thought the opposite for a year and a half. He doesn't have the pace for a forward so his traffic work is much more suited to the middle.

I am surprised by how tough and aggressive he is; he looked rather frail when he arrived and I was imagining a Brett Allison type but he is more like Jed Anderson

Don't you remember him giving it to Sicily in his first few games or hurting his shoulder then charging whoever hurt his shoulder again with the sore shoulder? He was injured for a while because of it but it showed he was a tough bastard.

There is a photo somewhere probably early in this thread of Sicily right in his face trying to intimidate him and Jy just laughing. Its in his first few games. You can see in Jy's eyes he knows he's already tougher than Sicily. Its a great photo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you remember him giving it to Sicily in his first few games or hurting his shoulder then charging whoever hurt his shoulder again with the sore shoulder? He was injured for a while because of it but it showed he was a tough bastard.
Sicily is nothing, this bloke takes on microphone booms and motorcycles.

yeah, he is hard as anything and a pretty powerful unit these days. what about in the forward pocket when he sent that bloke flying .

He'll be hitting as hard as Jed in a couple of years.

He'll be hitting as hard as Jed in a couple of years.

I reckon Jed inspires some of these young kids. That gif GR posted of Jed going "Woooo"... you can see how much Jy looks up to Jed at a couple of different points during it. It'd have more of an effect with Jy too cos they're both blackfellas. He'd want to impress Jed as much as anyone.

I reckon Jed inspires some of these young kids. That gif GR posted of Jed going "Woooo"... you can see how much Jy looks up to Jed at a couple of different points during it. It'd have more of an effect with Jy too cos they're both blackfellas. He'd want to impress Jed as much as anyone.
I think there was an interview on the club site last year around the time of the Indigenous jumper reveal where both Jy and Pauly said that Jed is an incredible leader among the indigenous boys. I can't remember the exact context or what was said, but yeah, something about Jed taking the young indigenous boys under his wing. I think you can see it too, and to be fair, our entire playing group seems tight, but there seems to be something a bit extra in the bond between those three, Tarryn, and you could see they were the first to get around Hayden in that group celebration after Shaw told the group he was debuting. And honestly, I reckon that kind of legacy and be directly traced to LT, whose influence at the club will be around for a long time in that respect imo.

Another thing that stood out (don't know if it has been mentioned) is that he actually looks for a target when breaking from the center and kicks to advantage rather than a 30m high bomb into the 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back