Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

This was the kid that was rated as a top 3 kid as far out as a 15 year old.

Absolutely destroyed Collingwood tonight.

isnt it amazing what can happen when naturally gifted players are allowed to play on instinct?..

This form was incredibly rare and more often than not was in patches in games when Scott was at the helm.

Whatever system he had Jy working under or role, it simply isn't working.

The bloke knows how to play footy, just let him play.

At the start of the year I was wanting him as a crafty fwd didn’t feel he had the pace or the head to be a mid but geez he’s excelled in the last month, was everywhere tonight, already looks like a veteran mid, definitely doesn’t need that blistering pace with his clearance ability. Fk I haven’t been this excited about our youth since 1993.

Same here, I had his best position as a small forward kicking 25-35 a year. Happy to say I was wrong is an aggressive prick when he doesn't have it and is class when he does. Has responded perfectly since being dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jy has the potential to become an AWESOME inside mid. His evasive skills are terrific. He has progressed more in the last 4 weeks under Shaw, than he did in the previous 4 years under Scott.

Let’s not let the fact that this is his 3rd season get in the way of a very well made point
He was always going to be a very good footballer, was rated very highly going into his U18 year. All that was missing was some patience. Might just get to elite status in two or three years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jy has the potential to become an AWESOME inside mid. His evasive skills are terrific. He has progressed more in the last 4 weeks under Shaw, than he did in the previous 4 years under Scott.

Horseshit

He and Cunnington combined for 10 centre clearances tonight. It was like Tango and Cash in there.
Collingwood midfielders had 6 for the whole game. Absolute belting.
This is the point though - if LDU and Sympkin can develop as mids they provide a real point of difference to the usual Cunners/Jed/JZ.

Having Simpkin in the middle from the first bounce (and Hayden) provided a much different look - one Collingwood wouldn't have planned for.

Under Bard we were so predictable in the mid4 set up - already under Shaw we can see different combinations being used which is great.

Just a reminder; we are sponsoring Jy Simpson this year and player sponsors can win his signed jumper!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back