12 stadia named on Ch 10's Sports Tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
Still not fully resolved but at least we now have a stadia list leaked out of the FFA (Bonita Mersiades I think was the woman on being interviewed by Neil Cordy).

Existing FIFA compliant: MCG, Etihad, ANZ, SFS and Suncorp

New: Western Sydney and Canberra

Upgraded: Adelaide Oval, New Perth/Subiaco, Carrara, Newcastle and Townsville

Main issue in the technical bid book due in May to still be solved is the stadia especially surrounding the 5 upgraded stadia.

Queensland Government questioning the validity of upgrading Dairy Farmers in Townsville to 45k when it'll be too big to maintain financially after the WC.

WA still up in the air in what they will do. If it ever goes ahead it's still yet to be decided if the stadium will be a upgraded revamped Subiaco or a totally new stadium.

For all the AFL-hating Soccer-only deluded zealots you can forget about new freebie rectangular stadia in every state and territory. All those stadia's main tenants after the WC will be either the AFL and/or NRL.

When it really comes down to it if the bid is successful do we really need 12? South Africa is only using 10.

Surely a couple of these white elephants will be never get off the ground. FIFA don't like 3 stadia in the one city and there's just not the long term demand in WS for a new 40k+ stadium so I think that could be one of them. Out of Newcastle, Canberra and Townsville you would think Townsville would also be one as it has the smallest population and the Qld govt don't seem keen about it.

Cheers MT.

And now the real fun begins.....every state government will be talking down their respective contributions now.

I'm not sure they could, especially as several have already indicated their financial contribution would be zero.

Is the Western Sydney an expansion of the proposed upgrade of the Showgrounds suitable for AFL & T20 or is it a new Rugby/Soccer stadium in an as yet undetermined location.

And the Perth Stadium would not be an upgrade it would be a new stadium.
Just repeating the Ch 10 report. They had the Perth stadium under the "upgraded" category.

The new Western Sydney stadium I think would be rectangular based on past reports in Sydney's press. Campbelltown was mentioned as one of the options with Wests Tigers and the new A-league club Sydney Rovers as tenants. 45k sounds to big IMO to maintain after the WC but they may downsize it. A multi-purpose oval would make more sense IMV. More tenants (NRL, AFL, RU, AL, T20) would make it more viable after the WC.

If they are going to have a stadia out in Western Sydney, why not just upgrade at Parramatta? They already have existing stadia for league. Wouldn't it be cheaper to refurbish an existing location? Sure, the dimensions might have to be changed, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Seems silly to build some white elephant that no one will use, or will have to abandon an existing stadium for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not fully resolved but at least we now have a stadia list leaked out of the FFA (Bonita Mersiades I think was the woman on being interviewed by Neil Cordy).

Existing FIFA compliant: MCG, Etihad, ANZ, SFS and Suncorp

New: Western Sydney and Canberra

Upgraded: Adelaide Oval, New Perth/Subiaco, Carrara, Newcastle and Townsville

Main issue in the technical bid book due in May to still be solved is the stadia especially surrounding the 5 upgraded stadia.

Queensland Government questioning the validity of upgrading Dairy Farmers in Townsville to 45k when it'll be too big to maintain financially after the WC.

WA still up in the air in what they will do. If it ever goes ahead it's still yet to be decided if the stadium will be a upgraded revamped Subiaco or a totally new stadium.

For all the AFL-hating Soccer-only deluded zealots you can forget about new freebie rectangular stadia in every state and territory. All those stadia's main tenants after the WC will be either the AFL and/or NRL.

IF you could convince FIFA to accept 3 stadia in sydney and 2 in melbourne then this would be the most sensible as far as other infrastructure (Hotels Airports etc.)

Drop off the two least likely to be needed after - townsville canberra or newcastle.

Causes a problem for AFL and NRL, but the contra deal would be to also provide some modest multi purpose stadiums in regions - for these sports to use during the world cup - and perhaps one in the far east of melbourne

Not likely I admit, but a more sensible solution

But what does that mean?

I think it means finalising this bid by the end of February is a pipe-dream.

AFL & NRL are just about to to fire up their seasons - they've got more important things to worry about than coming to a hasty agreement with the FFA about all these stadium deals.

Four weeks they've got - FOUR WEEKS!

What's the go with Sydney and Western Sydney? Are they to be considered as separate cities now? Does Hindmarsh count a s being in Sydney or Western Sydney?

Don't forget that you can add stadia after the bid is won. You aren't tied to using only the 12 listed stadia in the bid, you are free to build new ones or redevelop other stadia.

But if you don't, you are stuck with the original 12 in the list. I thought we've been through all that already.

If they are going to have a stadia out in Western Sydney, why not just upgrade at Parramatta?

In the last few years the capacity of Parra Stadium has been reduced with seats replacing the hills behind the goals (as it were) and with the Eels not regularly filling the stadium by more than 2/3rds it seems pointless.

After looking at the 12 stadia proposed for the bid, I'm just mind-boggled at how people think Australia is the favorite to get the 2022 bid. There is just so much uncertainty regarding the bid, and it all has to be solved by May.

First off there are huge issues still to deal with in Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra. The bid needs these three cities, and its no guarantee that they'll build or upgrade their stadia. Secondly, I'm unbelieveably skeptical about FIFA being ok with Sydney having 3 stadia hosting games. Finally there's the issue about what to do about appeasing the AFL and NRL, who both will no doubt be throwing punches if they're set to lose money from all this.

Honestly all Australia has going for it is that they've never had the World Cup in this part of the World Before. The USA has a market FIFA would rather develop more, they have a practical infinant amount of world-class stadia to use, and they don't have the problems interfering with other sporting seasons. Combined that with the confederation infighting in the AFC, and I don't see a good outcome for Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back