Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Where would Mills go in a 2015 hindsight draft?

Was taken pick 3.

2015 draft had:
Jacob Weitering
Josh Schache
Callum Mills
Clayton Oliver
Darcy Parish
Aaron Francis
Jacob Hopper
Harry McKay
Wayne Milera
Charlie Curnow
Eric Hipwood
Daniel Rioli
Tom Doedee
Jade Gresham
Ryan Burton
Brayden Fiorini
Josh Dunkley
Marcus Adams
Bailey Williams
Jordan Dawson

Possibly would slide a few spots from a draft order perspective.

From our perspective most of those players were taken before our first live selection had we not bundled picks to be able to take Mills out of the Demons hands at 3.

So the only outcome is that the Demons in hindsight would have potentially rated him differently but we would have taken him with the bundle of picks when selected by someone else. If the Demons were to still bid at 3, even with current hindsight, we still would have taken him with the bundle of picks.

(* for Dunkley as we in theory could have taken him but could have had Mills too but may have lost Dawson).

Possibly would slide a few spots from a draft order perspective.

From our perspective most of those players were taken before our first live selection had we not bundled picks to be able to take Mills out of the Demons hands at 3.

So the only outcome is that the Demons in hindsight would have potentially rated him differently but we would have taken him with the bundle of picks when selected by someone else. If the Demons were to still bid at 3, even with current hindsight, we still would have taken him with the bundle of picks.

(* for Dunkley as we in theory could have taken him but could have had Mills too but may have lost Dawson).

That’s probably the more relevant question isn’t it, though not relevant to this thread.

Dunkley or Dawson?

That’s probably the more relevant question isn’t it, though not relevant to this thread.

Dunkley or Dawson?

Right now probably Dunkley but I personally think Dawson will be better.

His stats have been better than ever but he is playing pretty much the exact same way as Lloyd with lots of chipping and switching kicks.

Need a nickname for that pairing.

His stats have been better than ever but he is playing pretty much the exact same way as Lloyd with lots of chipping and switching kicks.

Harry and Lloyd

lol ... we will all get into trouble with posters Bedford and M Oxlong. Nonetheless I suggest "Cake and Jallum" or "Llills" for short.

Otherwise I think Mills is doing very well. His opponents are not kicking goals and he is gathering possessions at will.

Inside mid, good with his hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Pendlebury running through the middle, give him a go there Horse
imo.. Horse will give him a go as soon as the backs are settled. This year, Grundy, Smith and McVeigh have been injured (and Malbaum). We missed both Langdon and his mate in the trade last year, and Thurlow hasn't quite worked.
Mills is needed down back. Expect Ling, Stoddart, McInerney and probably a trade to free Mills up for the midfield next year

imo.. Horse will give him a go as soon as the backs are settled. This year, Grundy, Smith and McVeigh have been injured (and Malbaum). We missed both Langdon and his mate in the trade last year, and Thurlow hasn't quite worked.
Mills is needed down back. Expect Ling, Stoddart, McInerney and probably a trade to free Mills up for the midfield next year
Not holding my breath but let's hope so. Could've played mid so many times over the past three years when there wasn't such an issue down back.

Not holding my breath but let's hope so. Could've played mid so many times over the past three years when there wasn't such an issue down back.

Agree. I think an excuse will always be found. I do not think he will ever have a sustained opportunity to show what he can do in the mids.

Personally, as of three weeks ago I have put a heavy red line through any hope this will happen.

Agree. I think an excuse will always be found. I do not think he will ever have a sustained opportunity to show what he can do in the mids.

Personally, as of three weeks ago I have put a heavy red line through any hope this will happen.
Why three weeks ago?

Do you guys think Longmire has explicitly outlined the reason Mills isn't playing midfield just to * with you all, or? He's clearly aware Mills is capable of midfield time, it was clearly something being prepared for this year with trade targets and training.

Do you guys think Longmire has explicitly outlined the reason Mills isn't playing midfield just to fu** with you all, or? He's clearly aware Mills is capable of midfield time, it was clearly something being prepared for this year with trade targets and training.
No idea how any of us would know what John had planned for Mills this year, do you have any info? Tried him there for a couple of pre season games for a bit. What about 2017, injured last year.

No idea how any of us would know what John had planned for Mills this year, do you have any info?

Apart from him saying he wanted to move Mills into the midfield on multiple occasions, no.

Tried him there for a couple of pre season games for a bit. What about 2017, injured last year.
This year he trained with the midfield group, during the trade period players who play his role were approached and he played midfield time in the preseason.

2017 he'd come off an incredible year in his role and there wasn't an urgent need to rush him into the mids.

Apart from him saying he wanted to move Mills into the midfield on multiple occasions, no.

This year he trained with the midfield group, during the trade period players who play his role were approached and he played midfield time in the preseason.

2017 he'd come off an incredible year in his role and there wasn't an urgent need to rush him into the mids.
Ok, dont agree but hey. 2017 he should have been given a go, maybe then we would have an alternative body in the middle now, pure speculation of course as I havent spoken to Horse about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back