Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going where the topic in thread is brought up by you...
Identity crisis of Port Power happening for some but trying to claim another club is having an identity crisis too and jealous that Port Power only formed in 1996?

Oh dear - what does this have to do with Essendon denying a racist moniker or club sanctioned PED program?

One match ? Turn it up.
But it all happened in the 1920's.
Trying to dismiss it when it about a club playing at Essendon itself is a lot more than just about one match.
The history of North Melbourne and Essendon rivalry in all this and what happened in this period is way too interesting to try to dismiss.

Oh dear - what does this have to do with Essendon denying a racist moniker or club sanctioned PED program?
You talked about identity crisis that your club happens to have and tried to claim another club having a genuine 150 year anniversary soon having one itself but now deflecting away from the amusing irony of you trying to claim another club having an identity crisis.

So an East Melbourne based club caused the death pf the real Essendon town club and also took North Melbourne based players too? :p This North and Bomber tension has a lot of history involved.
So 2022 the 100th anniversary of that clubs death?

No, they had to move out of east melbourne because the ground was closed. It's not there anymore, they built train tracks where it used to be.

The 150 years of Essendon failings are the topic of this thread. If you can’t stay on topic on the main board, go hide in the Essendon echo chamber board and deny Bomber Thomson is a drug peddling criminal.

Back to 150 years of rubbish please

Bomber Thompson was one of my childhood heroes and one of the bravest smallish players you’ll ever see play the game.

Yeah he ****ed up later in life..but during his playing days he was epitome of genuine guts, courage and mental toughness.

3 time Premiership player..one as captain

2 x Crichton Medalist

An ordinary lad from Airport West FC who made something of himself.

And you’ll never hear him blame anyone but himself for the trouble he’s been in over the last 10 years.

He takes full responsibility for his actions.

Last edited:
You talked about identity crisis that your club happens to have and tried to claim another club having a genuine 150 year anniversary soon having one itself but now deflecting away from the amusing irony of you trying to claim another club having an identity crisis.

Its not an exclusive jacket only one entity can wear. I’ve never bought my club into this discussion on the topic of Essendon’s 150 year reflection - that is you. Stop deflecting from the topic at hand being Essendon’s 150 years.

No, they had to move out of east melbourne because the ground was closed. It's not there anymore, they built train tracks where it used to be.
I get that. but a club was killed off in this period, was it not and 2022 will be the 100th anniversary of the death of the club that played out of Essendon town before this, so it an interesting twist in this whole history of football in this period.

I get that. but a club was killed off in this period, was it not and 2022 will be the 100th anniversary of the death of the club that played out of Essendon town before this, so it an interesting twist in this whole history of football in this period.

Not really, they merged with North.

Its not an exclusive jacket only one entity can wear. I’ve never bought my club into this discussion on the topic of Essendon’s 150 year reflection - that is you. Stop deflecting from the topic at hand being Essendon’s 150 years.
You brought up a claim of identity crisis. What I brought up about you typing that was the irony of a Port Power person trying to claim Essendon having an identity crisis. Pot calling kettle black..

Bomber Thompson was one of my childhood heroes and one of the bravest smallish players you’ll ever see play the game.

Yeah he f’ed up later in life..but during his playing days he was epitome of a genuine guts, courage and mental toughness.

There was a little overlap at the start of Bombers career, but Paul Vander Haar was one of bravest and cleanest players you could ever watch.

Your brought up a claim of identity crisis. What I brought up about you typing that was the irony of a Port Power person trying to claim Essendon having an identity crisis. Pottle calling kettle black..

Far out - does that mean posters can’t comment if a side they don’t support kicks a point as their side also kicks points?

Stop derailing this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Essendon town club is actually part of North Melbourne Football Club history?
The Essendon and North rivalry has some fascinating history.
North originally Hotham Football Club too I think.

Not originally. The club was founded as North Melbourne, changed its name to Hotham in 1877 because the name of the suburb changed, and then changed back to North Melbourne in 1888 when the suburb changed back.

Are you suggesting you cannot post?
rofl
Are you having some type of crisis.
Torn apart a bit here?

What are you cooking?

What exactly did the ‘chosen ones’ chose?

When will you arrive if you are coming? And where is you destination?

There was a little overlap at the start of Bombers career, but Paul Vander Haar was one of bravest and cleanest players you could ever watch.

Vanders was yes. A true ball player.

Bomber and Mark Harvey were chucked in the senior side by Sheedy when both were 18 years old. Bomber especially was tiny and handled the heat very well in his debut season.

Harvey was 19 in the 84’ GF flag win and Bomber was 21 years old. Both contributed very well that day.

Awesome. Explains that well. Never knew the suburb itself had a name change.

It's actually a little bit more complicated, the NMFC disbanded in 1876 and all its players joined Albert Park (which would then be known as Albert Park cum North Melbourne) and then re-established in 1877, now named Hotham. Still the same club. The suburb was technically called Hotham for the club's entire history before 1877, but for whatever reason they named the club North Melbourne.

This is off the top of my head, from a childhood obsessed with AFL history from a long time ago:

The 150 club, in order, would be:
Melbourne
Geelong
Carlton
North Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Essendon

Did I nail it?

It's actually a little bit more complicated, the NMFC disbanded in 1876 and all its players joined Albert Park (which would then be known as Albert Park cum North Melbourne) and then re-established in 1877, now named Hotham. Still the same club. The suburb was technically called Hotham for the club's entire history before 1877, but for whatever reason they named the club North Melbourne.

Yeah North have a very interesting history that not many are aware of..

North Melbourne Football Club was founded in North Melbourne in 1869 by local cricketers desiring to keep fit over the winter months. One thought is that the club was connected to the St Mary's Church of England Cricket Club, now the St Mary's Anglican Church North Melbourne, whose colours – blue and white – are reflected in the club's colours today.[2] The association between the St Mary's Church of England Cricket Club and the establishment of the North Melbourne Football Club is believed to have been an informal gathering to play some competitive sport. Information on the club's first ever match is limited, but it is known that it took place in Royal Park, which also served as the club's home ground until 1882. The ball used in the match was purchased by a local resident called Tom Jacks, who sold some roofing iron to pay for it.[citation needed] James Henry Gardiner is considered the founder of the club. He continued an active role with North Melbourne until his death in 1921.[citation needed]

Regular premiership matches of Australian Football commenced in Victoria in 1870. Although North Melbourne was a part of this, it was classed as a "junior club". The Australasian noted them as being "one of the best of many junior clubs".[3]

The club continued to develop, graduating to senior ranks in 1874, finishing 4th. Along with the promotion, the club adopted its first uniform of blue and white horizontal stripes.[4]

In 1876, North Melbourne disbanded, and many of its player and members joined Albert-park,[5] giving the club such a strong North Melbourne character that many described it as "Albert-park cum North Melbourne". In 1877, the club was re-established as a stand-alone club under the new name of "Hotham".

I remember watching John Kennedy talk about the 75’ flag and the emotion he had in his eyes talking about the old North supporters who came up to him and thank him for coaching the premiership.

It was an extraordinary long journey (50 years) to win a flag after joining the VFL

FWIW the East Melbourne Cricket Ground where Essendon used to play was located where the townhouses are now, with the goals running north/south parallel to Jolimont Rd.

Corner Jolimont Road & Wellington Parade South - Barak Bridge in the distance down Jolimont Rd, MCG away to the left, Wellington Parade Sth leading to Flinders St and the city.

1631974677494.png

Hosted 225 VFL matches including three finals.

This thread isn't a home final yet you seem to be choking badly.

Did I play in the home final? Did I choke?

Are you one of those guys taking credit for a success a team of complete strangers to you achieves as though you are one of them?

You strike me as one of those ‘stolen valour’ types.

I remember watching John Kennedy talk about the 75’ flag and the emotion he had in his eyes talking about the old North supporters who came up to him and thank him for coaching the premiership.

Are you thinking of Ron Barassi? Kennedy never coached a flag at North

Did I play in the home final? Did I choke?

Are you one of those guys taking credit for a success a team of complete strangers to you achieves as though you are one of them?

You strike me as one of those ‘stolen valour’ types.
I wish i stole your valium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back