Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hocking on Foxfooty just said that the 16 minute quarters and other changes are for this year only as they need to remain flexible for anything that could happen. Hopefully this remains the case.
I can see where AFL is coming from if just for this season. Very unusual prep for the players with 2 month break then short training period. The German soccer league which returned last week has recorded 200% jump in injuries more so in soft tissue.

I can see where AFL is coming from if just for this season. Very unusual prep for the players with 2 month break then short training period. The German soccer league which returned last week has recorded 200% jump in injuries more so in soft tissue.

Fair post Great. But did The AFL bring in the 16 minutes to lessen injuries due to upside down season. Leave the game alone and take out a couple of the stupid newer rules.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No doubt for this season shorter games and more interchange. Fly in/fly out wont be easy for travelling teams. Also with no reserves footy it makes more sense to give more players a chance in the seniors by having 6 on the bench. The worry is if the change in game time becomes permanent. With no fans at the games 16 min quarters is ok. They just need to reassure us it will return to normal.

Lloyd is spot on. We have to deal every week with whinging media tools who spend all weekend clearly watching a lot of footy and therefore are bound to see some uninspiring games. This leaves them with the game is broken, change all this attitude.

Fans don’t want to see less footy. Sure some of us watch a lot of footy and some games drag on but you switch them off. Making all these games shorter isn’t going to magically make the game perfect. It’s a game after all. Find me a sport anywhere that has amazing games to watch all the time. It doesn’t happen.

16 minute quarters were awful in round 1. By the time quarters started getting a bit of momentum they were over. There were some good games, some s**t games. Absolutely no evidence that it is some big game changer.

Eddie McGuire says families don’t have hours to spend at the footy these days. Based off what exactly? The flog has done nothing but talk out of his arse the last few weeks. I’m sure Eddie bases his opinions off all the normal families he knows that go to the People haven’t stopped going to the footy. If people want to make the commitment to going to the footy I daresay they want it to be worth their while in terms of game length.

Us fans spend months waiting for the footy to start. Compared to some other sports it really isn’t a great amount of games 22. Cricket is on all year, basketball, soccer etc you see heaps as well. To make the games even shorter, depriving us of more footy because of some whinging media flogs is absurd.

Gee there are some absolute tools in the media.
McGuire is full of s**t. Apparently we all have "short attention spans" which means the game needs to be shortened. What a pile of horseshit.

He works for broadcasting networks who have a vested interest to shorten the game, just in the same way they want to change the time of the Grand Final. Conveniently, McGuire is also in favour of changing the timeslot.

I think I heard David King say 'the young people want shorter games so they can go out afterwards" or something like that. What the hell, who are these young people. I have a couple of young people in my house, they dont bloody go out until at least 11pm for a night out. They need longer quarters.
King is talking BS.

I'm 26 (is that defined as "young people"), and I want the length of the game to remain the same.

Not sure who I'm more sick of, Maguire or Dangerfield, just wish both of them would STFU.

Dangerfield comes across as an entitled tosser.

If the game time is reducing by 20% then fans are getting 20% less viewing of actual footy but you can bet there will be more ads jammed in there somewhere. If we are getting 20% less game time then players should expect to get less $ and we should get a 20% reduction in membership fees and gate prices.

What/who is driving this? I thought 20% reduction in game time was to allow lots of 4 and 5 day breaks so they could jam in more games. Now that we have the standard breaks being programmed going forward, leave the game time at 4 x 20 mins. This is very much like products that stay the same price but there's new packaging with less product in the packet/bottle.

Oi, AFL, leave OUR game alone, stop your effing fiddling!

The media have been talking about shortening games for a few years now. My opinion is channel 7 want to shorten games to fit in a 2 hour window on tv, can have games all weekend with no crossover between games and makes it easier for Thursday/Monday night games and possibly even Friday doubleheaders.

It's all driven by the broadcasters, players have now jumped on it as they see an opportunity to lessen their workload.

Media mouthpieces do whatever their media bosses and AFL tells them but also get bored of all the footy they paid to cover (games on weekends then never-ending discussions during the week on tv/radio and print) so are more than happy to push the barrow.

My 2 cents

I have no problem with it for this season. But as of 2021 it needs to revert back. Don't see the need for additional interchange though and no rationale was given in the article on AFLs website today.

I am saying, we should hold off our judgments and see how 16 minute quarters play out. If it does result in more open attacking footy at the expense of congestion/repeat stoppages/pressure footy, we should consider keeping it beyond this year.

You seem to be operating under the illusion that there will be some sort of transparent assessment process undertaken at the end of the year. Lol.

Let’s be clear: the AFL have made their decision and most here know that. They’ve used this particular crisis to (once again) push through change that pretty much nobody was calling for.

You seem to be operating under the illusion that there will be some sort of transparent assessment process undertaken at the end of the year. Lol.

Let’s be clear: the AFL have made their decision and most here know that. They’ve used this particular crisis to (once again) push through change that pretty much nobody was calling for.
Someone was calling for it. AFLPA executives, that is the older, so-called superstars who want to prolong their careers and channel7 who want shorter quarters and shorter breaks between. Why would anyone who makes the effort to get to the ground want shorter quarters? We don’t.

Now can anyone tell me why the AFL would even consider 6 on the bench when they have already reduced game time by 20% (and thus the chance for commercials too)?

6 on the bench will mean fresher players, greater defensive effect and lower scores. Add this to shorter quarters and the same IC cap would would only be compounding the issue.

I thought they wanted to speed up the game. 🤔

Not to mention they are increasing the likelihood of a player catching C19 by 10% too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now can anyone tell me why the AFL would even consider 6 on the bench when they have already reduced game time by 20% (and thus the chance for commercials too)?

6 on the bench will mean fresher players, greater defensive effect and lower scores. Add this to shorter quarters and the same IC cap would would only be compounding the issue.

I thought they wanted to speed up the game. 🤔

Not to mention they are increasing the likelihood of a player catching C19 by 10% too

Agree with all the above - the only thing i can think of is:
1. Gets more players playing and less not playing - thus match ready
2. They are expecting quite a few soft tissue injuries due to layoff and need coverage.
and lastly, and most likely:
3. No reason what so-ever, tey just make s**t up for the sake of it (or its what the fans want...... 🤷‍♂️ )

McGuire is full of s**t. Apparently we all have "short attention spans" which means the game needs to be shortened. What a pile of horseshit.

He works for broadcasting networks who have a vested interest to shorten the game, just in the same way they want to change the time of the Grand Final. Conveniently, McGuire is also in favour of changing the timeslot.

Effectively 16 minute quarters means games will become shorter than a soccer match. AFL wants to implement shorter games, and more goals as if to say that AFL fans are a bunch of bone heads with no attention span.

Its funny the AFL make rule change after rule change to 'improve' the game, none of them work, in fact most have negative effects and now they want to shorten the game as we are supposedly bored of the game. :think:
Yeah when we haven't had footy for 3 months, they want to make the game shorter because we are bored with it.

#afllogic

The media have been talking about shortening games for a few years now. My opinion is channel 7 want to shorten games to fit in a 2 hour window on tv, can have games all weekend with no crossover between games and makes it easier for Thursday/Monday night games and possibly even Friday doubleheaders.

It's all driven by the broadcasters, players have now jumped on it as they see an opportunity to lessen their workload.

Media mouthpieces do whatever their media bosses and AFL tells them but also get bored of all the footy they paid to cover (games on weekends then never-ending discussions during the week on tv/radio and print) so are more than happy to push the barrow.

My 2 cents
100% spot on. 16 mins is such an arbitrary number as well. They've done the maths and know that they'll be able to fit games into a nice 2 hr window

Effectively 16 minute quarters means games will become shorter than a soccer match. AFL wants to implement shorter games, and more goals as if to say that AFL fans are a bunch of bone heads with no attention span.
More players + shorter games = more goals

Maybe Steven Hocking was too busy making up crap changes to the game to watch any footy last year

This season is going to be borderline AFLX - just when I thought my interest level in this season couldn't get any lower

Back