Retired #16: Tayte Pears - Has announced his retirement - 8/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we all saw this one coming but as has been said, still upsetting all the same.

His first couple of years were hugely promising. He had all the potential in the world and I'll forever fondly recall the match where he absolutely dismantled Fevola. Sadly the injuries began to mount up shortly thereafter and he never truly got the opportunity to recover and cement himself back into the senior squad. We tried trialling him as a forward for a while in the VFL but nothing ever eventuated and it was clear his confidence in his body and ability was shot.

There was actually a time there when Pears was seen as a far better player and prospect than Hooker. What could have been... Thanks for everything you've brought to the club, Tayte. Best of luck for the future and keep that body healthy!

Last edited:
More upset than I expected to be about it.

I am glad he got the chance to retire though. Delisting him after his great start, horrific injury run, frustrating last few years and then a return from suspension wouldn't have felt right. Even if he did play on next year battling his way through to the end.

All the best Tayte.

More upset than I expected to be about it.
Me too. We've all expected it for a while, let's face it, but I think it's the combination of a few factors. He's the first and probably only one of the 12 to say he's basically just had enough; of course the whole issue of inflexibility around being a firefighter plays a part too, but still.

And this suspension was particularly savage timing for him. I know for a fact that a year ago, he didn't think he was likely to get another contract so the one year deal was a real last chance for him. And then it was just ripped away from him, and on top of all the injuries he's had, it was a particularly savage blow for him.

I know from a rational list management perspective, there was no place for him next year, but the guy really was cursed and that's upsetting. He's a nice guy.

Not Ambrose too, won't someone please think of the children?

In all seriousness, good luck to Tayte!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a better idea? I suppose I could just make some s**t up and post it like it's fact.
Have you been reading Brians how to post on the Saints board guide again?

To SEN's credit, they called it on the radio for exactly what it is; something to the effect of:

"Banned Bomber Tayte Pears has decided to retire from Footy to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a Firefighter. Jobe Watson remains the only Banned Bomber to commit to the club"

I remember when Pears arrived at EFC how genuinely excited Tim Watson was on the SEN about him. I went out to training and he was a beast of a prospect, one of the biggest blokes there and looked really athletic. Showed some glimpses of what might of been until injury cut him down. Pity. All the best Tayte and thanks for your efforts.

I should be surprised but really, I'm not. Clearly too busy falling over themselves to get the BANNED DON QUITS headline up.

All the best Tayte. Thanks for signing my jumper and being such an amiable chap. Really wish it could have ended differently but 70 games is more than many get I guess. Best of luck fighting fires and saving lives.

Eerily similar to them totally twisting Hurley's words of 'the main reason I want to come back is for my mates' into 'Hurley will forever hate the Essendon Football Club but he has a few friends playing there so he decided to sign up for a meager five more years'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back