Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's the quality of defender that troubles Stewart it's the different requirements of the role .
Disagree. He was fine at it when he and Daniher were the two talls.

Yeah and once Daniher was gone he was asked to spend more time deep and be that long option which he isn't suited to.
And he was getting the #1 defender.

Disagree. He was fine at it when he and Daniher were the two talls.

Exactly. Stewart just lost some form and his goal kicking had become a problem. He was still one of our best players in two of his last five matches (i.e. Hawks and Cats games).

The talk of playing roles makes no sense when it's Brown that has replaced Stewart and he's no more suited to playing as a key forward. His numbers do not indicate that he is getting to more contests, on average, which is consistent with what we see.

Brown's also gotten the benefit of playing in three wins and funnily enough he was at his worst during our worst performance of the three (when he was basically just waiting for touches out the back).

Last edited:
He can not be left as the main man at FF. Is not a strong enough contested mark to play that role. This has been proven in the VFL where he has been better further up the ground leading at the ball.

If he's not playing FF then i wonder where he fits in?
Stringer depth? Or does he push to CHF and Daniher plays deep FF

He can play 'FF' he did at at the start of the year. He also kicked 4 against Freo doing it last year.

His strengths are best suited to playing a higher role.

He'll regain his form and then fight it out with McKernan for a spot.

Not every week he wasn't. Mckernan definitely shared some of the load.
He copped Astbury and Taylor. Not sure who he was against vs Carlton

Was back to his good form yesterday. Playing on as much as he could and beat them with his run and strength he be back in next week
While he played well for the most part, he still needs to fix his goalkicking. Once he does that he'll be knocking down the door.

Seems to be a victim of playing a role he isnt best suited to.

No coincidence his best football was played in a side that included Daniher and Stringer playing up forward.

With Hooker going back and Daniher out injured he was having to play closer to home and getting the opposition's number 1 defender.

When he has the opportunity to play as a 2nd/3rd tall that provides a link between the 50s he is able to then push back hard and get involved i50.

Worth signing on for 2yrs i reckon and seeing how he goes next year with daniher back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No coincidence his best football was played in a side that included Daniher and Stringer playing up forward.

With Hooker going back and Daniher out injured he was having to play closer to home and getting the opposition's number 1 defender.

When he has the opportunity to play as a 2nd/3rd tall that provides a link between the 50s he is able to then push back hard and get involved i50.

Worth signing on for 2yrs i reckon and seeing how he goes next year with daniher back.

Just like Lynch for the crows really

Is being good enough to play on the #1 defender really considered to be a role though? The fact is that injuries happen and list changes are necessitated throughout the season (like right now with our two most talented forwards out through injury) so treating Stewart as a niche player who can only thrive in the right environment is going to be a detriment to the team and to himself. He needs to get better at playing with more attention and at playing close to goals, which is why he was sent back to the VFL.

Is being good enough to play on the #1 defender really considered to be a role though? The fact is that injuries happen and list changes are necessitated throughout the season (like right now with our two most talented forwards out through injury) so treating Stewart as a niche player who can only thrive in the right environment is going to be a detriment to the team and to himself. He needs to get better at playing with more attention and at playing close to goals, which is why he was sent back to the VFL.
Thats fine. In fact it really isnt mutually exclusive to what i just said.

I just said we havent seen the best of him because he is playing a role that he isnt necessarily suited to and that he wouldnt play normally if we had our full compliment.

He has shown an ability to play close to goal this week. Hopefully that keeps going. Hisnset shot kicking needs work though.

Does he get a reprieve? Or do we go small?

Our public enemy number 1 in Franklin for our defence next week. I don't think we can bring in Hartley. Hooker has to go back back.

Our public enemy number 1 in Franklin for our defence next week. I don't think we can bring in Hartley. Hooker has to go back back.
Hooker wouldn't play on Buddy and neither would Hartley (although he did play well against him last year). Hurley is really our only match up for him, Hooker would get burned on the lead. We need Hooker forward, especially if Grundy is back this week. Plus Stewart really only has had the 1 good game in the VFL.

That being said, I would bring both in and drop Colyer to allow the flexibility of Hooker going into defence.

I'd bring Stewart in. He was really excellent a week ago in the VFL and we are kind of running out of options now. If Brown and Stewart just work really hard leading up at the ball and bringing it to the ground in the air I can see it working as long as we have Fantasia up and running.

Hurley will play on Buddy. Hooker will be a big help down back standing in front of balls and intercepting though.

Yeah agree. I think Stewart has to play. We need someone to relief ruck too which Stewart can do.

I don’t think Stewart was actually going horribly when dropped anyway. He was certainly out of form, but there’s been players on worse runs who haven’t been dropped. We just had another option in Brown so there was selection pressure. I think Stewart can give a decent account of himself in the seniors.

Yeah agree. I think Stewart has to play. We need someone to relief ruck too which Stewart can do.

I don’t think Stewart was actually going horribly when dropped anyway. He was certainly out of form, but there’s been players on worse runs who haven’t been dropped. We just had another option in Brown so there was selection pressure. I think Stewart can give a decent account of himself in the seniors.
And Hooker can't? In fact I'd say that Hooker is a better ruck than Stewart honestly.

Of course he can. But as per the post I quoted - hence the “I agree” - I think we should leave Hooker in the backline.
Sorry, just interpreted it as that you didn't think he could be the chop out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back