Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Just me or does he cause a number of a *s up that lead directly to goals? Mainly numerous freekicks in a one on one, but just has a tendency to do some real uncomposed dumbshittery

Rather have Hartley or Mitch brown down back than this spud better yet bring Courtney johns or jay neagle back and play then at Fullback and we wouldn’t lose much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be the defensive version of Shaun McKernan.

Would genuinely rip the arse out of the league in the 90s but has no real concept of how to position himself and how to approach it without just manhandling his opponent.

Yet he is above average for contested one on one . Francis below average.
Not saying he was great but until we can stop easy transition through the middle of the ground we are going to look dodgy in defense .
For a bloke who has played only 15 odd games as a key defender he has held up pretty well. Not even Fletcher could defend defend effectively with the way we let the opposition move the ball at times. Would be handy if we could do what the Swans did and have a spare tall defender to lend a hand .

Absolute circus. If this wasn’t the shameless efc it would be embarrassing watching this kpf get smacked week in week out in the backline. Utter shambles

Yet he is above average for contested one on one . Francis below average.
Not saying he was great but until we can stop easy transition through the middle of the ground we are going to look dodgy in defense .
For a bloke who has played only 15 odd games as a key defender he has held up pretty well. Not even Fletcher could defend defend effectively with the way we let the opposition move the ball at times. Would be handy if we could do what the Swans did and have a spare tall defender to lend a hand .
For me, his ability to defend one vs one isnt the problem.

His issue is when we move into a zone or scrambling in defence, he loses his spatial awareness too quickly.
Now the large part of that will be how green he is as a defender and also how easily other teams transition against us, but it has been exposed as he can often find himself woefully out if position with a quick/chaos ball in.

Not ready to give up on him, but today wasnt great either.
He also has a calamitous error in him with ball in hand, but he isnt Robinson Crusoe there....

For me, his ability to defend one vs one isnt the problem.

His issue is when we move into a zone or scrambling in defence, he loses his spatial awareness too quickly.
Now the large part of that will be how green he is as a defender and also how easily other teams transition against us, but it has been exposed as he can often find himself woefully out if position with a quick/chaos ball in.

Not ready to give up on him, but today wasnt great either.
He also has a calamitous error in him with ball in hand, but he isnt Robinson Crusoe there....

I will say again. Until we learn to defend as a team it will be an issue for anyone in defense . Take a look at Weitering . Elite defender but when the Blues do not defend up the ground even he has issues. Was the same with Rance when he played. Expose him in the back half and you could beat him. Not saying he is a star but I refuse to agree with a lot of the critics given we are one of the poorest team defensive sides in the comp and have been for over 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back