Player Watch #19: Griffin 'Gus the Goose-stepper’ Logue - recovering well from ACL injury

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the only Logue that matters.

89739893_3436545569694439_285959532453036032_n.png

Former Fremantle Docker Griffin Logue impresses in North Melbourne intra-club​

Former Fremantle swingman Griffin Logue has recovered from an interrupted pre-season to make a big impression in North Melbourne’s intra-club match at Arden Street on Saturday.

Logue was among the best players in the opening half before being put on ice, racking up the intercept marks and forming an exciting key-defensive duo with Ben McKay.

The Swan Districts product, who was traded to the Kangaroos on a five-year deal last year after 64 games in six seasons at Freo, was on managed minutes and wore a Quinten Lynch-style glove on his right hand as he continues his recovery from a dislocated finger.

North Melbourne assistant coach Jordan Russell praised the former top-10 pick on his aerial prowess and leadership.

“Him and ‘Buckets’ McKay, the combo of them is pretty damaging in terms of aerial prowess and marking the footy point of view,” Russell said.

“His leadership already, he’s only been here for three or four months but he’s actually only been on the track for a couple of weeks, and you can see how quickly he’s slotted into the system which is great.

the west.com

1676778375041.png

AFL pre-season intel: Griffin Logue pushing past groin issues to play season opener​

New Roo Griffin Logue is still managing a groin issue through the pre-season, but is battling his way to round 1. Plus he reveals who’s impressing on the track. Jon Ralph spoke to the recruit.

Jon Ralph
https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun
February 20, 2023 - 3:55PM

North Melbourne’s star recruit Griffin Logue says he will be underdone as he recovers from osteitis pubis, but believes he can hit round 1 fit enough to take on a full AFL season.
Logue arrived from Fremantle on a long-term deal and while he played only a half of Saturday’s intra-club match, he was totally dominant in a sign of his immense promise.

Logue revealed he battled that debilitating groin complaint during last year’s finals series in a year where the Dockers’ decision to play him forward saw him move on.

A nasty pinky finger injury, where the bone broke through his skin, was another recent setback, but by round 1 Logue should be ready for a clash against West Coast at Marvel Stadium.

He told the Herald Sun he was thrilled with the welter of defensive options at North Melbourne as the Roos prepare to release free agent Ben McKay in an intercepting role.

“I am on the other side of it, touch wood. I had a bit of OP leading into the finals and was managing that and slowly building my loads,” Logue said.

“A lot of it has been about strength work with my hips and adductors so at this stage I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You never know with groin issues, they can be prevalent. I am a bit underdone compared to a lot of my pre-seasons leading into this time of the year but it seems like I have timed it well enough if I can keep on track.”

The finger injury meant Logue was sporting a protective glove on Saturday that he hopes to ditch when he plays three quarters against Richmond on Friday.

“I went to mark or spoil a couple of weeks ago and it ended up an open-handed spoil. It popped the finger out and it came through my skin. It was just a dislocation but it was weird it didn’t break. It was just my right pinky so it looked pretty manky. It was a bit of a spooky look with a shaved head and black boots and a glove but it’s going all right,” he said.

While ex-teammate Rory Lobb had already bought an inner-city Melbourne house before his move to the Bulldogs, Logue was in uncharted territory.

The cheerful, no-fuss Swan Districts product is living with Darcy Tucker and the midfielder’s partner Ellie and has already honed in on Melbourne’s best baristas.

“I am a big time coffee snob. I am spoiled for choice. Leaps and Bounds is the best coffee joint so far in Albert Park. Have a cuppa and grab some chilli scrambled eggs while you are at it and I reckon that will sort you out,” he said.

The cascade effect of slotting Logue in as a brilliant stopping defender will trickle all the way down North Melbourne’s back six in a side that suddenly has an array of options.

“We are spoiled for choice at the moment,” he said.

“Everyone is so fit and healthy, we have a few talls to choose from. Myself, Aidan Corr, Benny McKay, your mid tier defenders like Aiden Bonar and Lukey Mac (McDonald), Josh Goater and Jackson Archer who have wicked pre-seasons and then guys like Flynn Perez and Aaron Hall, they both impress me with how they go about it. Johnny Blakey is pulling it all together well and we have a pretty well credentialed bloke overseeing it all in Clarko (Alastair Clarkson) so we are in a good space.”

Track watchers saw No. 3 overall pick Harry Sheezel’s brilliant best on Saturday and while he is a round 1 lock the tantalising glimpses of No. 4 pick George Wardlaw have also been enticing.

“There are a fair few to choose from,” I love the look of Harry Sheezel. His foot skills are incredible and he has done everything right,” Logue said.

“Wardlaw has had an interrupted summer but what we have seen of him is incredible as an inside mid, at his size as an inside mid to be able to power around like he does. Will Phil (Will Philips) has been good and Tom Powell is the other one who stands out to me. I love the way he goes about it so I hope he gets a go. He is exciting to watch.”

Leaps and Bounds is the best coffee joint so far in Albert Park. Have a cuppa and grab some chilli scrambled eggs while you are at it and I reckon that will sort you out,” he said.

5 minutes in Melbourne and he's already doing plugs. Impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL pre-season intel: Griffin Logue pushing past groin issues to play season opener​

New Roo Griffin Logue is still managing a groin issue through the pre-season, but is battling his way to round 1. Plus he reveals who’s impressing on the track. Jon Ralph spoke to the recruit.

Jon Ralph
https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun
February 20, 2023 - 3:55PM

North Melbourne’s star recruit Griffin Logue says he will be underdone as he recovers from osteitis pubis, but believes he can hit round 1 fit enough to take on a full AFL season.
Logue arrived from Fremantle on a long-term deal and while he played only a half of Saturday’s intra-club match, he was totally dominant in a sign of his immense promise.

Logue revealed he battled that debilitating groin complaint during last year’s finals series in a year where the Dockers’ decision to play him forward saw him move on.

A nasty pinky finger injury, where the bone broke through his skin, was another recent setback, but by round 1 Logue should be ready for a clash against West Coast at Marvel Stadium.

He told the Herald Sun he was thrilled with the welter of defensive options at North Melbourne as the Roos prepare to release free agent Ben McKay in an intercepting role.

“I am on the other side of it, touch wood. I had a bit of OP leading into the finals and was managing that and slowly building my loads,” Logue said.

“A lot of it has been about strength work with my hips and adductors so at this stage I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You never know with groin issues, they can be prevalent. I am a bit underdone compared to a lot of my pre-seasons leading into this time of the year but it seems like I have timed it well enough if I can keep on track.”

The finger injury meant Logue was sporting a protective glove on Saturday that he hopes to ditch when he plays three quarters against Richmond on Friday.

“I went to mark or spoil a couple of weeks ago and it ended up an open-handed spoil. It popped the finger out and it came through my skin. It was just a dislocation but it was weird it didn’t break. It was just my right pinky so it looked pretty manky. It was a bit of a spooky look with a shaved head and black boots and a glove but it’s going all right,” he said.

While ex-teammate Rory Lobb had already bought an inner-city Melbourne house before his move to the Bulldogs, Logue was in uncharted territory.

The cheerful, no-fuss Swan Districts product is living with Darcy Tucker and the midfielder’s partner Ellie and has already honed in on Melbourne’s best baristas.

“I am a big time coffee snob. I am spoiled for choice. Leaps and Bounds is the best coffee joint so far in Albert Park. Have a cuppa and grab some chilli scrambled eggs while you are at it and I reckon that will sort you out,” he said.

The cascade effect of slotting Logue in as a brilliant stopping defender will trickle all the way down North Melbourne’s back six in a side that suddenly has an array of options.

“We are spoiled for choice at the moment,” he said.

“Everyone is so fit and healthy, we have a few talls to choose from. Myself, Aidan Corr, Benny McKay, your mid tier defenders like Aiden Bonar and Lukey Mac (McDonald), Josh Goater and Jackson Archer who have wicked pre-seasons and then guys like Flynn Perez and Aaron Hall, they both impress me with how they go about it. Johnny Blakey is pulling it all together well and we have a pretty well credentialed bloke overseeing it all in Clarko (Alastair Clarkson) so we are in a good space.”

Track watchers saw No. 3 overall pick Harry Sheezel’s brilliant best on Saturday and while he is a round 1 lock the tantalising glimpses of No. 4 pick George Wardlaw have also been enticing.

“There are a fair few to choose from,” I love the look of Harry Sheezel. His foot skills are incredible and he has done everything right,” Logue said.

“Wardlaw has had an interrupted summer but what we have seen of him is incredible as an inside mid, at his size as an inside mid to be able to power around like he does. Will Phil (Will Philips) has been good and Tom Powell is the other one who stands out to me. I love the way he goes about it so I hope he gets a go. He is exciting to watch.”

No thrills, just get on with it kind of attitude

Has anyone checked out the new "Show Me The Money" that's just come out, little bit about Logue and his deal to North, didn't show much of him but cool to see a bit of the deal getting done with him and Tucker.
Just watched it.
Colin Young: "we had 9 or 10 clubs who were interested in him, it was extraordinary, MORE THAN I'VE HAD FOR ANY OTHER PLAYER"

We've snagged a beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back