Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally on Friday night we started to look for him on the lead, rather than bomb it on his head...

He marked a couple, a couple got intercepted, but he started to look dangerous...

I love Jack, but * me he looked soooo slow on Friday night...

I said the similar in a different thread but got shot down, The end comes quickly for key forwards just look at the final playing years of guys like Roughead (only played 8 games) and it comes to a point where keeping them in the side hinders the development of the next wave of players
If CCJ leaves it’s due to lack of opportunity because Jack is playing again next year

Would rather see Jack go out on top like the champion he is instead of slowly losing his touch
Its a little off topic but i dont think CC-J is the answer as a KPF. Too slow and a real lack of agility. Would hope like hell a KPD a KPF and a clearance machine mid and a big contested mid are at the top of our shopping list.

Watching Jeremy Cameron tonight you realise how good we had it with Lynch. Geelong gave up 3 first rounders and hes hardly gotten on the park.

We got Lynch for free, yeah hes on crazy contract, but the only first 22 player to leave for more money was Ellis. Lynch is 6-0 in finals and the only final he didnt play in, our forward line was a debacle against Brisbane and we lost.

Whatever happens in the next 4 years, I hope the criticism is kept to a minimum, we would only have the 17 flag if he didnt choose us.

Watching Jeremy Cameron tonight you realise how good we had it with Lynch. Geelong gave up 3 first rounders and hes hardly gotten on the park.

We got Lynch for free, yeah hes on crazy contract, but the only first 22 player to leave for more money was Ellis. Lynch is 6-0 in finals and the only final he didnt play in, our forward line was a debacle against Brisbane and we lost.

Whatever happens in the next 4 years, I hope the criticism is kept to a minimum, we would only have the 17 flag if he didnt choose us.

I actually thought similar last night. Been worth every penny so far.

Unfortunately, both Jack and Lynch function best as the 'Key one-on-one' forward.
Jack, because a)he's a good mark, and b) when the ball spoils, he's excellent on the ground and will beat most key defenders there.
Lynch, because he's just about the best 1-1 contested mark in the game.

Both excellent players - but we still haven't quite got the game-plan/balance right. I don't think we've ever had it right since Lynch arrived - sure, it's been pretty good (2019:p, 2020:D), but you can see the potential for something even better.

Maybe lose a few kg to take some weight off the knees. Need to change our forward structure so he becomes the no1 dominant forward we know he can be.

Enough of this 'playing a role' dimma bangs on about. Let's get this bloke moving and leading like the dogs game
agreed. I'm willing to accept the 'playing a role' argument when we're winning games. When our second half of the year was in spoon contention and we're kicking 5 goals a week it's surely time to unleash our gun FF

Question: Is Lynchy best employed up the ground playing the CHF role where he can burn off his bloke up to the wing then beat his bloke back and where his contested marking is valuable rather than being one on one deep where he's often double or triple teamed ?

With Jack in the twilight, is he better left the deepest kpf where his smarts close to goal are so important, allowing Lynch to roam ?

Of course you mix things up depending on match ups and to be a bit unpredictable in big games etc but I think Jack is best employed around goal and Lynch could use a freshen up being the marking target our around the 50 and up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question: Is Lynchy best employed up the ground playing the CHF role where he can burn off his bloke up to the wing then beat his bloke back and where his contested marking is valuable rather than being one on one deep where he's often double or triple teamed ?

With Jack in the twilight, is he better left the deepest kpf where his smarts close to goal are so important, allowing Lynch to roam ?

Of course you mix things up depending on match ups and to be a bit unpredictable in big games etc but I think Jack is best employed around goal and Lynch could use a freshen up being the marking target our around the 50 and up the ground.

maybe, I am not sure but what I did see on many occasions was we couldn’t get he ball past wing position and we were crying out for a big tall forward to move up the ground and take a contested mark so we could break the wall and get the ball into our forward 50. For whatever reason Lynch rarely did this. Meant our defence was under constant pressure and we weren’t scoring.

maybe, I am not sure but what I did see on many occasions was we couldn’t get he ball past wing position and we were crying out for a big tall forward to move up the ground and take a contested mark so we could break the wall and get the ball into our forward 50. For whatever reason Lynch rarely did this. Meant our defence was under constant pressure and we weren’t scoring.
Always been our weakness...
We got around it with chaos ball movement...and counter attack...just got harder to make work with SHocking's 'stand rule' and our collective injuries...

Only issue is whether Jack can take the bashing he'd get. But I reckon we can use our forwards much better, more dynamically. I suspect that the club realises this was an issue and that's why we got Teague.

I'd actually like to see Jack moving around more, using his smarts and skills. Be happy if Tom ran some long leads and we left Dusty/Caddy/RCD?/Nank/Soldo/someone else that can mark/Lambo deep. Dusty and Cads are good one on one deep. If we can spice it up a bit and move the defense around we have enough weapons to cause some real damage.

Lynch has played six finals for Richmond, we've won them all and he's been BOG in two of them. We wouldn't even have made the finals without him in 2019, let alone win the flag.

He had a much better 2021 than most give him credit for, with a crook knee.

Lynch has played six finals for Richmond, we've won them all and he's been BOG in two of them. We wouldn't even have made the finals without him in 2019, let alone win the flag.

He had a much better 2021 than most give him credit for, with a crook knee.
And that Port game as well...❤

Remove this Banner Ad

Back