Review "1989 - The Great Grand Final"

Remove this Banner Ad

first qtr i think... on the mcc wing... camera just misses it.. platts head over the ball, dishes it out & in comes hocking. few minutes later platts is on the bench away with the fairies. he comes back on after but is cooked at half time.

fair play to hocking, dipper knocked his teeth out but he just grabs the ball from the free kick & gets on with it. never liked him much tho.
Always hated Hocking but he was a tough *er and if he was in Brown and Gold he would’ve been a fan favourite.

I watched the Rd 6 clash of that year just the other day, and I'll be damned if that game wasn't even better than the grannie. Absolutely scintillating footy.

Want some excellent iso viewing, check this out....

How can this game not get voted in the Fox Footy top 50? Fox must have lost the game and rigged the vote.

Just finished the book, well devoured it would be more accurate - great Easter fare.
Easy reading and thoroughly enjoyable if you're a hawk fan.
To be honest, there isn't any great revelations in the book; much of it we already knew as it is one of the most discussed, analysed and critiqued game's in the sport's history. We knew about Dipper's toughness, Ablett's freakishness, Yabby's passion to go back to back etc (the bit about Yabby's pay the price speech at half time I did find very interesting. He was shouting "pay the price, pay the price, pay the price!" so often that some players thought he either went too far with it or they thought he was going to have another stroke!).
Still, fantastic read, highly recommended.
I did like the discussion in the book around Geelong's playing the man tactics. Did it cost them the chance of genuinely winning the game or was it a Blight masterstroke? On the one hand they were so intent on going the knuckle in the first quarter that by the end of it they were 39 points down as we kept our focus on the ball.
On the other hand, by mowing down so many of our players it worked well enough for them to get as close as they did.

Oh and my respect and admiration for Dipper is even more immense after reading the book. As Langers says, "he wasn't just physically tough, you couldn't hurt him". Remember it's Dipper with his busted ribs and deflating lungs that jumps on the ball in those last, desperate moments. Love that man.

It would have been a travesty if we had lost that game.

Last edited:
Rated as the 3rd best game in the top 50 .......cant wait to see what comes in at 1 and 2 , they must be incredible

Rated as the 3rd best game in the top 50 .......cant wait to see what comes in at 1 and 2 , they must be incredible

they did a top 50. I always wonder why 2005 and 2006 grannies make these lists. They had close results because they were very average teams. I reckon of 2010 had a result on the day, it’d be right up there

they did a top 50. I always wonder why 2005 and 2006 grannies make these lists. They had close results because they were very average teams. I reckon of 2010 had a result on the day, it’d be right up there
They had close results because they were very defensively oriented teams. There were no real highlights in those games (sure, apart from that mark), just dour, down the line defensive stuff.
The thing that strikes me about the ‘89 granny was the “let ‘er rip” mentality. It was a shootout and how good was that. After ‘89 coaches worked out that if they just focused a little more on defense they wouldn’t need to score so much.
Thus the modern game began.
To paraphrase Blight, “our forwards are better than yours so we’ll back ourselves in. The highest score wins right, it’s not golf where the lowest score wins”.
His problem was he had no defenders of any note.

Last edited:
How can this game not get voted in the Fox Footy top 50? Fox must have lost the game and rigged the vote.
I watched the Rd 6 clash of that year just the other day, and I'll be damned if that game wasn't even better than the grannie. Absolutely scintillating footy.

Want some excellent iso viewing, check this out....

Agree, not only was it better than the '89 gf but it was the best game of footy ever played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know who writes the puns on the HFC web site but this made me laugh.

Dunstall's pressure into Brereton's goal:
Not typically known for his forward pressure, Jason Dunstall laid a massive tackle on the Cats' last line of defence to set up a bustling Brereton goal.

Obviously this person never saw bung hole play.
He thrived on forward pressure in fact I'd go as far to say he may of been the first KPF who practiced the art!

How good was Pritchard. Judd like the way he'd explode and run away from packs and congestion at pace.

Obvious difference was that he'd nail a long 50m pass to someone lace out rather than be "uncharacteristic".
Not being a smartarse - but when i lived in Melb for 3 years in early 2000s, my family (and I) got to be friends with Darrin and his crew. He has to be one of the most low key relaxed blokes you could ever meet. (his first 5 years at the club were 4 GFs for 3 premierships) - I would grill him for ages on everything from pre-game prep, to yabbys speeches, training and anything else. Even going skiing up at Mt Baw Baw for a day trip (which we just took for granted) was taboo back in playing days.
I asked him one time, "hey remember in 89 GF, how tough was Dermie after getting smashed and then taking that mark to kick a goal - it set the G on fire" as casual as you like he says "yeah, i kicked it to him"....

Don't know who writes the puns on the HFC web site but this made me laugh.

Dunstall's pressure into Brereton's goal:
Not typically known for his forward pressure, Jason Dunstall laid a massive tackle on the Cats' last line of defence to set up a bustling Brereton goal.

Obviously this person never saw bung hole play.
He thrived on forward pressure in fact I'd go as far to say he may of been the first KPF who practiced the art!

Does anyone else remember that game in the 90's on a cold wet night at Waverley where we had a great win against the Blues.. SOS made one of his regular forays forward but Dunstall went with him and pinged him htb in their forward line, really stuck with me!

There is an article from Wilson about the 1989 grand final that was published years ago. I highly recommend it! Link bellow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back