1999 SOO: Victoria V South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior Analyst

Senior List
Feb 15, 2007
with friends
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi - does anyone have the stats from this game? In particular, how many goals did Brent Harvey kick? I understand it was 5 however a work colleague thinks it was 8.

Thanks.
SA

I thought the AFL were going to make an annoucement on SOO by the end of this month. We all know it's going to be Victoria vs. Australian All-Stars at the 'G but want it made official already.

I hope the non-Victorian players take a stand against this concept and boycott the match. The whole idea is an insult to the rest of Australia.

5 goals 3. He was buggered at the end of the game from running his arse off and couldn't kick it from 30 metres. Could have had 8.

Was interviewed about SOO the other day, he was an emergency for this game, but because of so many players having "soft" injuries in the week leading up to the game, and a massive push from one selector (Dipper). He got the gig, didnt find out till the night before at which point he was close to passing out at a mates 21st, was massivly hung over but played one of the best games of his life, at a young age. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

South Australia and Western Australia would be stronger than the Victorian team IMO anyways. Having Vic vs the rest (assuming everyone played) would be a joke, 'the rest' would win by about 30 goals !! As it stands SA and WA would probably win by 5 - 10 goals as it stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Australia and Western Australia would be stronger than the Victorian team IMO anyways. Having Vic vs the rest (assuming everyone played) would be a joke, 'the rest' would win by about 30 goals !! As it stands SA and WA would probably win by 5 - 10 goals as it stands.

your kidding right. Victoria would be allmost unbeatable if eveyone played.

the depth they can draw on is much greater. Full strength if they put out two Vic Sides Vic country and Vic Metro.

In fact that would allow both WA and SA to play.
WA v Vic country
SA v Vic Metro.

Yeah Judd may be injured, but J.Brown, G.Ablett, Brent Harvey and Sam Mitchell arn't, these 4 are arguably the best players in the competition at the moment, you'd have to get the ball into the WA and SA forward line (which btw would get killed by the VIC backs anyway) first to even contemplate kicking a goal.

Vic would beat all comers by 6-10 goals.

... you'd have to get the ball into the WA and SA forward line (which btw would get killed by the VIC backs anyway) first to even contemplate kicking a goal.

Assuming every South Australian-eligible forward is fully fit come gametime:

FF Brett Ebert ~ Warren Tredrea ~ Scott Welsh
HF Alan Didak ~ Matthew Pavlich ~ Brett Burton

Midfield from: Shaun Burgoyne, Simon Goodwin, Chad Cornes, Kane Cornes, Scott Burns, Tyson Edwards, Scott Thompson, Corey Enright, Adam Cooney, Danyle Pearce, Sam Butler, Nic Fosdike, et al.

Defence from: Ben Rutten, Tom Harley, Nathan Bock, Nathan Bassett, Graham Johncock, Andrew Mackie, Jared Rivers, Michael Wilson, Beau Waters, Shannon Hurn, Sam Fisher, Brian Harris, Ryan Griffen, et al.

Rucks from: Brendon Lade, Brad Ottens, Dean Brogan, Will Minson, Rhett Biglands, Cam Wood, et al.

It's far from the one-sided thrashfest you think it would be.

Australian All-Stars? Give me a break.

Make it Victoria vs Australia and be done with it - that's the ultimate concept. I can't wait for it.

I can and it would be boring as bat droppings. I'm Tasmanian by birth, I don't care if Tassie gets a SOO team or not, but if you're going to do SOO as a celebration of XXX amount of years of the game then do it properly by having proper state teams.

I'm prepared to objectively say that at the MCG, Victoria would win a match against Australia by in between 30 and 50 points.

I don't think Victoria would beat a full strength SA or WA by that much.

Yes Victoria has the best depth of quality, but at the end of the day it's still 22 vs 22 (or with an extended bench, 24 vs 24).

WA and SA's first 18 is comparable to Victoria's at the very least.

I don't think Victoria would beat a full strength SA or WA by that much.

Yes Victoria has the best depth of quality, but at the end of the day it's still 22 vs 22 (or with an extended bench, 24 vs 24).

WA and SA's first 18 is comparable to Victoria's at the very least.

I was going to say the opposite - I reckon Australia would have better depth, but Victoria would have the absolute cream, in midfield (Judd, Bartel, Ablett, Dal Santo, West, Hodge) defence (Scarlett, Fletcher, Lucas, Wirrpunda) and attack (Lloyd, Fevola, Johnson, J Brown)...

I mean, seriously, any team with Judd and Jon Brown would be nearly unstoppable. It's an incredibly salivating prospect.

Perhaps in the ruck Australia would have an edge...certainly with Cox, anyway. But I'd be comfortable with any number of Vic ruckmen being able to nullify him, which is something you can do to a ruckman moreso than other positions. Cousins, Kerr, Black, S Burgoyne and Kane Cornes would provide some stiff midfield competition, no doubt.

However, I wouldn't hesitate in nominating it as possibly the strongest 22 players ever assembled to play in a team in a competitive match (not such a really big statement, when you think about it).

It's the best feasible match Australian football can possibly put on - can't think of a better way to celebrate 150 years of footy.

I was going to say the opposite - I reckon Australia would have better depth, but Victoria would have the absolute cream, in midfield (Judd, Bartel, Ablett, Dal Santo, West, Hodge)

SA: S. Burgoyne, Goodwin, Kornes, Cornes, Thompson, Cooney, Edwards

WA: Cousins, Kerr, J. Carr, S. Black, Wells, Embley, Hasleby, Corey

defence (Scarlett, Fletcher, Lucas, Wirrpunda)

SA: Rutten, Bassett, Johncock, Harley

WA: Glass, Clement, Hunter, Hayden

and attack (Lloyd, Fevola, Johnson, J Brown)

SA: Pavlich, Tredrea, Didak, Burton

WA: Lynch, Franklin, M. Williams, Farmer

in ruck (Everitt, Fraser, White)

SA: Lade, Ottens, Brogan

WA: Cox, Sandilands, Seaby

The above exercise highlights my base point. Forget your rotten 'Australia' concept.

Each of the individual main states has a division in each part of the field that makes you salivate. All-Australians and accolades galore - no need to merge SA and WA into some bloated Allies concept whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back