Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably should show yourself the door 🤣
Haha this was a gimme - we were favourites FFS.. To be honest this is probably the best chance we will have to win the premiership.. We play the Gabba extremely well and we got the soft side of the draw (Brisbane at the Gabba) and then likely Port at the Gabba. The issue is this year will always have an asterisk next to it given covid etc We should not have got to this point - we SHOULD have won a premiership on our own terms without any excuses before this if not for poor coaching defensive minded finals football. Chris Scott outcoached himself way too many times and put the boys under pressure with defensive instructions.

Haha this was a gimme - we were favourites FFS.. To be honest this is probably the best chance we will have to win the premiership.. We play the Gabba extremely well and we got the soft side of the draw (Brisbane at the Gabba) and then likely Port at the Gabba. The issue is this year will always have an asterisk next to it given covid etc We should not have got to this point - we SHOULD have won a premiership on our own terms without any excuses before this if not for poor coaching defensive minded finals football. Chris Scott outcoached himself way too many times and put the boys under pressure with defensive instructions.
You’re all over the shop Cobretti.

The best teams are defence first.

Leave your badge and your gun on my desk on your way out.

LOL at not understanding the difference between having a good defence and playing defensive football. A good defence is good because they ATTACK and move the ball forward. Chris Scott went into too many finals with a defensive possession based game plan that our players could not implement (his job as coach is to know our limitations). Tonight from the outset we were attacking minded, took chances and played free flowing football and look what happened. This is exactly what we have been screaming about for years - when Scott lets the team go we play well. When he tries to be intelligent and 'coach' and play 'keepings off' we go to shit because we aren't good enough. It's not a difficult concept to understand my friend and time and time again I and others have been proven correct in our assessment. Chris Scott has had nearly a decade of finals to prove us wrong (even when we were favourites and knocking teams out in the H&A season) and he failed - multiple opportunities to make us look stupid and he couldn't do it. We were proven correct. This year is our best chance if he doesn't **** it up again and go back to defensive/negative minded football. Under pressure it cracks.

Collingwood didn’t show up. Next week is the real yardstick. I hope we go into the game realising that brisbane aren’t going to roll over like the pies did. Going to be a real arm wrestle.
Pretty sure we will.

The thing I really liked about the game - there was a moment in the fourth where they kicked 3 goals in a row. Selwood comes off the bench, adjusts the Geelong players at the stoppage with a few words. Wins a HTB, gets 3 possessions, steadies the ship, then goes forward, intercepts and kicks a goal.

My point being that this team looks like it’s got some steel in its spine.

LOL at not understanding the difference between having a good defence and playing defensive football. A good defence is good because they ATTACK and move the ball forward. Chris Scott went into too many finals with a defensive possession based game plan that our players could not implement (his job as coach is to know our limitations). Tonight from the outset we were attacking minded, took chances and played free flowing football and look what happened. This is exactly what we have been screaming about for years - when Scott lets the team go we play well. When he tries to be intelligent and 'coach' and play 'keepings off' we go to sh*t because we aren't good enough. It's not a difficult concept to understand my friend and time and time again I and others have been proven correct in our assessment. Chris Scott has had nearly a decade of finals to prove us wrong (even when we were favourites and knocking teams out in the H&A season) and he failed - multiple opportunities to make us look stupid and he couldn't do it. We were proven correct. This year is our best chance if he doesn't fu** it up again and go back to defensive/negative minded football. Under pressure it cracks.
I really like your thoughts on how Scott ‘lets them go to play well’ when we win and he ‘coaches’ them when they lose. You’re right, we don’t need a coach.

My suggestion?

Write a letter to the coaching department ASAP. They’ll want to hear from you and ‘others’ and your assessments before it’s too late.

I really like your thoughts on how Scott ‘lets them go to play well’ when we win and he ‘coaches’ them when they lose. You’re right, we don’t need a coach.

My suggestion?

Write a letter to the coaching department ASAP. They’ll want to hear from you and ‘others’ and your assessments before it’s too late.
It's called 'overcoaching' and it's a real thing - it kills creativity and players abilities to do what comes naturally (and what they do best). Deny it all you want. The team is more than capable to win most games if they are allowed the freedom. I just hope Scott learnt from tonight and it continues into the next game and finally the grand final.. I REALLY hope he does not revert back to 'too smart Chris' and goes back to defensive mode. We have fallen short in previous finals for that exact reason - remember when we blew Sydney off the park at the MCG in finals and then followed it up with an absolute putrid defensive minded performance? Lets not do that again please Chris. Stick to what works.

It's called 'overcoaching' and it's a real thing - it kills creativity and players abilities to do what comes naturally (and what they do best). Deny it all you want. The team is more than capable to win most games if they are allowed the freedom. I just hope Scott learnt from tonight and it continues into the next game and finally the grand final.. I REALLY hope he does not revert back to 'too smart Chris' and goes back to defensive mode.
Nah, it’s a professional sport. The team is well drilled and very well coached and they demonstrate that they’re more than capable time in and out. It’s a matter of execution, nothing else.

Save your novice/basic analysis to the little chats you and the ‘the others’ do together.

The acid seeping from the bitterness of those not liking the win is amazing.

And this illustrates the "on a hiding to nothing" and thus subsequent invalidtion of posters credibility.

And by that - I mean the posts are exeactly the same with a 68 point win vs a SF straight sets loss: the team and in this case coach get no credit when its earned. Instead of admitting and enjoying the win, the goal posts move to become anything else.

The points of criticism are well earned over the journey but if you cant enjoy a 68 point SF win then nothing will make you haopy.

GO Catters

My suggestion?

Brilliant.

The acid seeping from the bitterness of those not liking the win is amazing.

And this illustrates the "on a hiding to nothing" and thus subsequent invalidtion of posters credibility.

And by that - I mean the posts are exeactly the same with a 68 point win vs a SF straight sets loss: the team and in this case coach get no credit when its earned. Instead of admitting and enjoying the win, the goal posts move to become anything else.

The points of criticism are well earned over the journey but if you cant enjoy a 68 point SF win then nothing will make you haopy.

GO Catters
I think you'll find a win next week will shut all the pessimism up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called 'overcoaching' and it's a real thing - it kills creativity and players abilities to do what comes naturally (and what they do best). Deny it all you want. The team is more than capable to win most games if they are allowed the freedom. I just hope Scott learnt from tonight and it continues into the next game and finally the grand final.. I REALLY hope he does not revert back to 'too smart Chris' and goes back to defensive mode. We have fallen short in previous finals for that exact reason - remember when we blew Sydney off the park at the MCG in finals and then followed it up with an absolute putrid defensive minded performance? Lets not do that again please Chris. Stick to what works.
What are your credentials to comment on CS overcoaching and learning lessons from wins and losses?
Stick to what works...?
Do you have any acceptance of the opposition in these assessments?
The team that just beat the mighty Tigers?
We have no idea about the impact of prolonged hub life and maybe Collingwood's use by date was this week. Something Brisbane does not have to deal with.
CS does not need advice from us keyboard warriors on how to coach- it frustrates me reading comments like yours as if we have the answers he is looking for.

I think you'll find a win next week will shut all the pessimism up.
Why on earth is there any pessimism after last night?
We know there will be anger next week if we get done, and the same pathetic comments about not keeping it simple, not learning about previous losses, will abound, but prelims against an opposition at THEIR home are very hard to win, and the Lions have hardly put a foot wrong since we showed them up for contested footy.
We should not be favourites, and it is 2 v 4.
I think we are in a great position, and just hope that Stanley is indeed right to go- he is critical for us, and just saying that is a concern, because he is so injury-prone.
Clearly, CS has shown yet again that he and his panel can get this team up.
Do we have another week or 2 left in us?

We know there will be anger next week if we get done, and the same pathetic comments about not keeping it simple, not learning about previous losses, will abound, but prelims against an opposition at THEIR home are very hard to win, and the Lions have hardly put a foot wrong since we showed them up for contested footy.
I think we are in a great position, and just hope that Stanley is indeed right to go- he is critical for us, and just saying that is a concern, because he is so injury-prone.
Well let's just win then and you won't have to read about it :cool:

Don't have to win IMOO. Just be really competitive. Kind of like the Port game last week. That will do me anyway.
Hopefully some fun footy like last night.

Don't have to win IMOO. Just be really competitive. Kind of like the Port game last week. That will do me anyway.
Hopefully some fun footy like last night.
Btw, IMOO, is that meant to be IMHO

anyone who goes on about attack being the best teams just doesn’t know much about footy tactics.

Richmond are extremely defensive, grimes just went on about Richmond’s defensive structures needing adjustment when reflecting on the port loss. Nothing at all about attack. They prioritize defense first and foremost like all the best sides do.

the bottom 8 sides are often the quick teams and have a more instinctive attacking flare

anyone who goes on about attack being the best teams just doesn’t know much about footy tactics.

Richmond are extremely defensive, grimes just went on about Richmond’s defensive structures needing adjustment when reflecting on the port loss. Nothing at all about attack. They prioritize defense first and foremost like all the best sides do.

the bottom 8 sides are often the quick teams and have a more instinctive attacking flare

When Dangerfield tackled Madjen and won his free, one the commentators said - “the tv view doesn’t show it, but the Cats defensive press has given the pies no options to kick it to”.

Essentially, On the camera we see Rohan, Miers and Danger running around like madmen, but what we don’t see is how the mids and defence (coached, taught, drilled and trained by the coaching team) are in positions (a zone) that reduce all options on the field for the kicker. This in turn makes it more predictable for our team where the outlet kick would be and either halve or win the contest or knock or out of bounds.

We see the reverse happens when we bring the ball from defence. Leads are made, players move into positions that allow the opposition zone to be picked apart or spread and then ultimately break down.

Luckily, because we were so clinical last night, we got to see how our team operates in multiple almost perfect execution scenarios.

It is not possible for our players - or any teams players really- to play this way - in harmony and synergy- without being coached, trained or drilled. They don’t just suddenly decide to do something different in a final because they may as well try it. When we win, we see the team execute the coaching that they’ve had effectively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back