Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

geelong_crazy26 - "Scott is the best coach because he has 70+% win percentage"

Why did he consistently bomb out in finals for 8 years?
geelong_crazy26 - "Oh its because our team isn't good enough - they are good enough to smash teams off the park in H&A and have the best win record of teams ever but in finals the team suddenly gets bad. But Scott is still the best coach and its nothing to do with his coaching approach - its just a random that we happen to have one of the worst finals records going around over an 8 year period given our ladder position."

So basically when we win games you call him the best coach ever but when we were getting our asses handed to us in finals for 8 years its the players fault and the team is actually not good enough lol...

Suddenly this year the team is now good enough (Has nothing to do with Scott changing tactics because he has been the best coach ever for 8 years apparently). And Blicavs must be lying out his teeth when he directly said that Scott instructed the group to play more attacking football after half time compared to the Richmond game last year. Yep clearly you know more than Blicavs. At least you are aware you're crazy lol...

what’s with this odd obsession with blicavs saying Scott Said to attack more?? Do you think mark blicavs at half time of a prelim final on live television is going to give away intimate details of scotts game plan? Of cause not. They just s**t out generic liners for the media then jog off.

once again, Scott came up with a game plan good enough to belt teams through the finals on his way to a second grand final in ten years, you said he wasn’t capable of coming up with such a plan.

you literally don’t make sense. The game plan that has gotten us to the grand final is scotts game plan. Nobody else’s. Something which you claimed he wasn’t capable of doing.

are you Now admitting he is capable as a coach of coaching us to a grand final?? Which is admiring you were wrong all this time.

2 grand final appearances, 4 prelim finals, 3 finals appearances, all in ten years and potentially x2 flags after Saturday.... is a bloody impressive ten years.

Ive never been anti chris scotts capabilities. Ive been anti his choice of game plan, choice of structure, selection of certain players (lets not go there on the players point this week) and perceived stubborness/concerns of moral hazard. My opinion on the latter point has slightly lessened somewhat in the past two weeks. My opinion on the right game plan has only been futher confirmed. Thankfully scott might finally be seeing some of the light on that one.

I’m not anti scott, I’m just anti his game plan, selection, structures and personality...

Lol. Nah your not anti Scott at all

A bit of what you have said this year.

Look at you hedge your bets both ways, you get to claim Scott is a sh*t coach if we don't win the GF and even if we win you leave it open that the year has an * next to it because of covid. You have already shifted the goal posts, you have said in the past it depends how we go in finals, well here we are, we haven't shat the bed, we achieved what you thought Scott wasn't capable of.

lol yep made fools of themselves all year then want to squeeze out of it like a turd escaping through the sewerage.

at least own up and say I got it wrong then move on.

what’s with this odd obsession with blicavs saying Scott Said to attack more?? Do you think mark blicavs at half time of a prelim final on live television is going to give away intimate details of scotts game plan? Of cause not. They just sh*t out generic liners for the media then jog off.

once again, Scott came up with a game plan good enough to belt teams through the finals on his way to a second grand final in ten years, you said he wasn’t capable of coming up with such a plan.

you literally don’t make sense. The game plan that has gotten us to the grand final is scotts game plan. Nobody else’s. Something which you claimed he wasn’t capable of doing.

are you Now admitting he is capable as a coach of coaching us to a grand final?? Which is admiring you were wrong all this time.

2 grand final appearances, 4 prelim finals, 3 finals appearances, all in ten years and potentially x2 flags after Saturday.... is a bloody impressive ten years.
The more you type the less sense you make (which is hard to imagine) lol... My position from the start has been that our TEAM has been good enough to win multiple premierships (at the minimum make a few grand finals) given our performance during the home and away season. My issue with Scott has ALWAYS been his defensive/passive tactics during finals that has caused the team to crack like an egg and get blown to s**t in games we SHOULD be winning. This year Scott has finally accepted his weakness and become aware of it (even though we have been screaming at him for years telling him he needs to change how we approach big games) - there is only 1 game left for him to re-enforce the attacking mentality and not defensive/passive which is directly what Blicavs said they were told to do against Richmond last year at half time (and subsequently caused our pants to be dropped below our knees).

How else could you explain being way on top and then getting the absolute s**t kicked out of us *hint hint the players didn't suddenly turn to s**t - the issue was Scott tried to get them playing defensive/passive (direct from Blicavs mouth). This is the reality. One game left to win and then geelongcrazy can finally be quiet (had to read his s**t for 8 years straight where he gets proven wrong time and time again). He has been telling us for 8 years the reason for our wins is the coach and then when we lost in finals its because the team is not good enough (this year again proved he has no idea what he is talking about - the issue was tactics (and some selection blunders) - not the players)

Thank god Seeds took over and coached Geelong to a grand final.

appparently Chris Scott read his Bigfooty posts and that’s our new game plan in 2020, and we had the exact same unchanged one from 2012-2019 (scotts original never once changed game plan).

2011 bombers game plan
2012-19 scotts game plan
2020- seeds game plan

lol yep made fools of themselves all year then want to squeeze out of it like a turd escaping through the sewerage.

at least own up and say I got it wrong then move on.
We have been waiting 8 years for you to admit you have no idea what you are talking about - you think Scott is a better coach than Thompson lol.. You have been telling us for 9 years our team is not good enough to win a premiership and the only reason we make finals is because Scott is the best coach to ever live and the list is average. Hopefully this year again proves you wrong for the 999th time.

Experts in here "Experience means nothing - Brisbane are going to smash us"

Stocks_go_up: Experience means a lot in big finals - we will smash Brisbane by 20+ points

Result: Selwood "We saw the opportunity early on - we are a mature group in age and experience" + Cats by 40 points + egg on geelongcrazy's face

The more you type the less sense you make (which is hard to imagine) lol... My position from the start has been that our TEAM has been good enough to win multiple premierships (at the minimum make a few grand finals) given our performance during the home and away season. My issue with Scott has ALWAYS been his defensive/passive tactics during finals that has caused the team to crack like an egg and get blown to sh*t in games we SHOULD be winning. This year Scott has finally accepted his weakness and become aware of it (even though we have been screaming at him for years telling him he needs to change how we approach big games) - there is only 1 game left for him to re-enforce the attacking mentality and not defensive/passive which is directly what Blicavs said they were told to do against Richmond last year at half time (and subsequently caused our pants to be dropped below our knees).

How else could you explain being way on top and then getting the absolute sh*t kicked out of us *hint hint the players didn't suddenly turn to sh*t - the issue was Scott tried to get them playing defensive/passive (direct from Blicavs mouth). This is the reality. One game left to win and then geelongcrazy can finally be quiet (had to read his sh*t for 8 years straight where he gets proven wrong time and time again). He has been telling us for 8 years the reason for our wins is the coach and then when we lost in finals its because the team is not good enough (this year again proved he has no idea what he is talking about - the issue was tactics (and some selection blunders) - not the players)

more back peddling again. Just step up and own the fact you have been wrong an entire season. Let’s just get straight to the chase here, you said Scott was not the right man to take us to another grand final, he has taken us there. You couldn’t be much more wrong.

Once again Scott didn’t implement anything from a Bigfooty forum on how to coach, your going to make us all laugh. Chris Scott and the coaches are well aware for years of our issues and work tirelessly on it each season, which is why we improved to the point of a GF this season and our second grand final under scott in 10 seasons. Something you clearly said he couldn’t do until you cowardly tried to take out an insurance policy for yourself over the finals campaign by changing your tune.

more back peddling again. Just step up and own the fact you have been wrong an entire season. Let’s just get straight to the chase here, you said Scott was not the right man to take us to another grand final, he has taken us there. You couldn’t be much more wrong.

Once again Scott didn’t implement anything from a Bigfooty forum on how to coach, your going to make us all laugh. Chris Scott and the coaches are well aware for years of our issues and work tirelessly on it each season, which is why we improved to the point of a GF this season and our second grand final under scott in 10 seasons. Something you clearly said he couldn’t do until you cowardly tried to take out an insurance policy for yourself over the finals campaign by changing your tune.
Actually I've been correct for 8 years saying Scott wouldn't win us a grand final and this year I saw something different and changed my views (the same way Scott finally accepted he had to change our approach to big finals) and expressed strong views that we have a big chance of winning the premiership (haven't won it yet but we are closer than ever) - even after you lot kept telling me how Brisbane was going to blow us away and our experience meant nothing lol.

You have been wrong for 8 years - your record is not great at all my friend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been waiting 8 years for you to admit you have no idea what you are talking about - you think Scott is a better coach than Thompson lol.. You have been telling us for 9 years our team is not good enough to win a premiership and the only reason we make finals is because Scott is the best coach to ever live and the list is average. Hopefully this year again proves you wrong for the 999th time.
I think there is a very good chance Scott is a better coach than Thompson. Bomber did lose a GF with possibly the best side I have ever seen. Both excellent though.

I think there is a very good chance Scott is a better coach than Thompson. Bomber did lose a GF with possibly the best side I have ever seen. Both excellent though.
Scott nut huggers said our loss against port, was cause of the players not kicking straight. The same thing would need to be used for 2008 if that was the case. There are very close similarities between 2008 and the Port game. We got on top but kept blowing chances.

I don't see the need to compare them. They have both been good, but bomber got us into more gf's, has more cups (hopefully that chances on saturday), and I would give him bonus points for building a team just about from the ground up after taking over a bit of a rabble.

Scott nut huggers said our loss against port, was cause of the players not kicking straight. The same thing would need to be used for 2008 if that was the case. There are very close similarities between 2008 and the Port game. We got on top but kept blowing chances.

I don't see the need to compare them. They have both been good, but bomber got us into more gf's, has more cups (hopefully that chances on saturday), and I would give him bonus points for building a team just about from the ground up after taking over a bit of a rabble.
I know they have plenty of input but Wells builds the the team for me, and no one is better than him!

We should have won 2008. It was a dominant performance and excellent game-plan and coaching. Except for the score. It should be recommended viewing for the entire team this week as a sober reminder.

Clarkson gets alot of credit for coaching that game. But it was bad kicking that lost that game. Even the cheap behinds tactic would not even be a thing if we kicked straight.

geelong_crazy26 - "Scott is the best coach because he has 70+% win percentage"

Why did he consistently bomb out in finals for 8 years?
geelong_crazy26 - "Oh its because our team isn't good enough - they are good enough to smash teams off the park in H&A and have the best win record of teams ever but in finals the team suddenly gets bad. But Scott is still the best coach and its nothing to do with his coaching approach - its just a random that we happen to have one of the worst finals records going around over an 8 year period given our ladder position."

So basically when we win games you call him the best coach ever but when we were getting our asses handed to us in finals for 8 years its the players fault and the team is actually not good enough lol...

Suddenly this year the team is now good enough (Has nothing to do with Scott changing tactics because he has been the best coach ever for 8 years apparently). And Blicavs must be lying out his teeth when he directly said that Scott instructed the group to play more attacking football after half time compared to the Richmond game last year. Yep clearly you know more than Blicavs. At least you are aware you're crazy lol...
It doesn't matter where your allegiances lay I would suggest the above is fairly accurate.

But what would I know - I'm just a troll.

We should have won 2008. It was a dominant performance and excellent game-plan and coaching. Except for the score. It should be recommended viewing for the entire team this week as a sober reminder.

Clarkson gets alot of credit for coaching that game. But it was bad kicking that lost that game. Even the cheap behinds tactic would not even be a thing if we kicked straight.
We really kicked ourselves out of that game. We were all over them in the 2nd quarter, just couldn't put it on the board. Mooney's miss from directly in front was so deflating.

but Seeds has told us all year how we will play blicavs on the wing and it will destroy our finals hopes. Lol

We can all agree that Blitz to the wing in the past has been hit/miss - but this season the wing/ruck and cover in defence has worked a treat.
He is so much more poised now with the footy and is either initiating or being part of some great ball movement between the arcs.
He's a great mark but his groundball game has gone off the charts and those long kicks into F50 ( especially off the left) are really unsettling the opposition.

While agree with you ... conversion to me is almost the most import stat .... the 'we should have' is the oft cried moan of the loser.

I can remember thinking that in 1980 ... how unfair to have to play Rich at Waverley when 'we should have' played so well at the G ... look at it thru todays eyes .. and its a neutral ground....and how many close loses in those PF's ... ohh we would have beaten Ruch if we had just got past Collinwood.

We should have converted better in 08 .. has anyone ever done a check on where the shots were taken from etc ... but it seemed we missed too many we should have got.....but that is the case so often when one looks at the loser. StKilda should have converted better in 09.. Brisbane should have the other night.

Mooney miss seemed to haunt him from then on .. its why I have said these cheap play ons and ways to avoid setshots set one up for an under prepared pressure moment

I also agree about the shark thing.... for most the game the sharks actually kept swimming ... although thats from memory its been a long time since that game.

and so it will be this GF... if we kick at over 70% conversion and lose then ... fine not good enough...

Since the trip to WA, our team structure has become a lot more balanced and settled, and we've found a much better middle ground where we know we can control the ball defensively, but also know when it's time to go and move the ball quickly forward to get I50 one on ones.

The gameplan is both of those structures, the defensive keepings off which keeps their defensive zone outside of our F50 and the quick handballs forward to get the ball over their zone so we can get one on ones in the F50. We have been working on perfecting both aspects individually and collectively since 2019, and the reason we've peaked so nicely is because we finally got them to work in harmony.

Scott didn't just say, ok boys let's just handball it out of D50 whenever we get the chance. He worked with the players and assistant coaches to tinker the triggers for when we go fast or hold onto the ball, so that we're not too offensive and get scored easily against, and not too defensive and not score enough ourselves to win the game.

Fantastic post JohnZ - I've really enjoyed reading your insights and couldn't agree more with your post above.

No doubt this group is maturing in terms of executing the game plan and responding to meet the momentum changes you get throughout a game.
We're doing a Kenny Rodgers well at the moment - we know when to hold em and know when to fold em so to speak. :p
There are a couple of very positive indicators I've seen in our finals ( last two in particular) - we are going much faster into F50 once we exit defense safely and we are turning the ball over much less (and not in dangerous areas).
If we continue that, kick straight, and win our most important KPI - contested psssession - we will be hard to beat.
Go Catters :thumbsu::thumbsu:

We really kicked ourselves out of that game. We were all over them in the 2nd quarter, just couldn't put it on the board. Mooney's miss from directly in front was so deflating.
I've deleted the whole game from my memory although I still have nightmares over pizza roll fat boy Dew pulling our pants down. He must have weighed at least 120+kg in that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back