Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

let’s not get dilusional here. We have been one of the highest scoring teams all year so don’t make out all of a sudden it changed finals time, it was that game plan all season. Yet you still told us all year how he wasn’t capable of taking the team further than a prelim. Our defensive structures were amazing and denied Brisbane any ball movement. We played an elite defensive game it wasn’t just attack.

your call has been scotts Game plan can’t handle finals pressure and he isn’t up to the job. He is up to the job and proved you entirely wrong.

Thats true about our scoring ...one of my issues with CS is being dour and not risking enough by attacking enough and this year we have scored more , our percentage shows that... and consequently where are we? The irony of some media observations ... stuff like.. Geelong likes the Gabba..but do not like the MCG ..when they are almost identical in size or home ground advantage... he has certainly quietened a view strongly held views due to this years circumstance. Its been years since we have heard the advantage of KP was why we got to finals...

The addition of Danger to our forwardline has helped reduce our reliance on Hawk.. so the Hawkins island thing which probably got shut down a bit now has been modified... so thats been something that he should get plaudits for.

I like listen to the tactics expert of SEN Craig Jennings... and he is a full on Chris Scott fan.yet even he tends to like the Richmond Chaos game plan rather than control in high pressure games... this week he mentioned how Geelong waited till the settle before the started with their short kicks.. I think his quote was ..hard to kick with accuracy when you cant feel your legs.

Now some of my issue about scoring is not just with CS but the game.. the reduction in scoring across the comp has been pronounced, the high degree of score deprivation now thru highly processed defensive structures has made the game , generally, less enjoyable to me and so some of what CS has to do is probably a result of the over all trends within the afl now.

The more you type the less sense you make (which is hard to imagine) lol... My position from the start has been that our TEAM has been good enough to win multiple premierships (at the minimum make a few grand finals) given our performance during the home and away season. My issue with Scott has ALWAYS been his defensive/passive tactics during finals that has caused the team to crack like an egg and get blown to sh*t in games we SHOULD be winning. This year Scott has finally accepted his weakness and become aware of it (even though we have been screaming at him for years telling him he needs to change how we approach big games) - there is only 1 game left for him to re-enforce the attacking mentality and not defensive/passive which is directly what Blicavs said they were told to do against Richmond last year at half time (and subsequently caused our pants to be dropped below our knees).

How else could you explain being way on top and then getting the absolute sh*t kicked out of us *hint hint the players didn't suddenly turn to sh*t - the issue was Scott tried to get them playing defensive/passive (direct from Blicavs mouth). This is the reality. One game left to win and then geelongcrazy can finally be quiet (had to read his sh*t for 8 years straight where he gets proven wrong time and time again). He has been telling us for 8 years the reason for our wins is the coach and then when we lost in finals its because the team is not good enough (this year again proved he has no idea what he is talking about - the issue was tactics (and some selection blunders) - not the players)

Quote where Blicavs said "we were told to play defensive and passive" thanks

Thats true about our scoring ...one of my issues with CS is being dour and not risking enough by attacking enough and this year we have scored more , our percentage shows that... and consequently where are we?

Geelong's percentage was the highest of any team last year as well. It was the second highest percentage the year before in 2018. It was the fifth highest in 2017. And it was the 2nd highest in 2016.

Despite the delusions of the peanut gallery, Geelong have been playing much the same game-plan for some years now and it has consistently lead to the team being among the highest scoring, if not the highest scoring over a five year stretch.

Last edited:

Geelong's percentage was the highest of any team last year as well. It was the second highest percentage the year before in 2018. It was the fifth highest in 2017. And it was the 2nd highest in 2016.

Despite the delusions of the peanut gallery, Geelong have been playing much the same game-plan for some years now and it has consistently lead to the team being among the highest scoring, if not the highest scoring over a five year stretch.

If you want to throw stuff like peanut gallery around I will leave you to it ..

If you want to throw stuff like peanut gallery around I will leave you to it ..

Was referring broadly to suggestions in the thread that Scott has 'seen the light' and has overhauled the game-plan. This is a specious argument at best—the wins over the last fortnight are a carbon copy of wins throughout this season and in recent seasons. Those making the claims are reactionary hecklers, hence my use of 'peanut gallery.' Apologies for including in their company. I agree that Richmond's chaos style (built on aggressive but highly organised defensive efforts as a team) make our 'control game' hard to pull off. It's going to be a fascinating match.

We have been waiting 8 years for you to admit you have no idea what you are talking about - you think Scott is a better coach than Thompson lol.. You have been telling us for 9 years our team is not good enough to win a premiership and the only reason we make finals is because Scott is the best coach to ever live and the list is average. Hopefully this year again proves you wrong for the 999th time.

Your trying to tell everyone “ I didn’t get it wrong, because Scott came onto big footy and used exactly a gameplan I wrote”. This is quite the whimsical story down the rabbit hole your starting to write.

So Scott wins a flag early on.. not his team...
Scott makes a GF 10 years later... now it’s a stolen gameplan from Bigfooty users.

this level of denial from yourself being wrong is epic dilusional levels here.

Thats true about our scoring ...one of my issues with CS is being dour and not risking enough by attacking enough and this year we have scored more , our percentage shows that... and consequently where are we? The irony of some media observations ... stuff like.. Geelong likes the Gabba..but do not like the MCG ..when they are almost identical in size or home ground advantage... he has certainly quietened a view strongly held views due to this years circumstance. Its been years since we have heard the advantage of KP was why we got to finals...

The addition of Danger to our forwardline has helped reduce our reliance on Hawk.. so the Hawkins island thing which probably got shut down a bit now has been modified... so thats been something that he should get plaudits for.

I like listen to the tactics expert of SEN Craig Jennings... and he is a full on Chris Scott fan.yet even he tends to like the Richmond Chaos game plan rather than control in high pressure games... this week he mentioned how Geelong waited till the settle before the started with their short kicks.. I think his quote was ..hard to kick with accuracy when you cant feel your legs.

Now some of my issue about scoring is not just with CS but the game.. the reduction in scoring across the comp has been pronounced, the high degree of score deprivation now thru highly processed defensive structures has made the game , generally, less enjoyable to me and so some of what CS has to do is probably a result of the over all trends within the afl now.

I wouldn’t say our game plan in finals was any different to what we have done our entire season. When on song we have been very good this year.

I would still say our game plan prioritizes defense before attack, both the collingwood and Brisbane games we squeezed opposition down long and wide along the boundary and denied them movement through the corridor. We kept both teams to very low scores and often got counter attacks from these turnovers.

you need to build a gameplan from defense first then add attacking layers to it. Because your attacks largely are based off your defensive movements as well.

this season has probably been building and in the works for several seasons now and is a bit more of a seasoned mature side with a much better mature bottom 6.

we have been in a large transition phase with players retiring or leaving for many years now, having a lot of inexperienced kids come into the side that are just starting to hold their own.. players like parfitt O’Connor Simpson then add depth like fogarty and we have a strong tail.. something we haven’t had for many years, which can make a overall quality gameplan hard to sustain and come unstuck at times or get exposed with weak links.

this season is probably the result of a building up of a team for many seasons that has come to fruition

Even relax... remember we finished top of the table or close to it multiple times with nothing to show for it. Chris Scotts test is finals - we already know he can produce a very good H&A record.. That has never been his failing - his failing is how the team performs on the big stage. It does not stand up to home and away form - we get worse when the pressure goes up. That is what he needs to get right to have any claim of being one of the top coaches to be involved in the game.

and how has he passed the test so far?? His game plan has stood up perfectly to pressure this year in finals.

We should have won 2008. It was a dominant performance and excellent game-plan and coaching. Except for the score. It should be recommended viewing for the entire team this week as a sober reminder.

Clarkson gets alot of credit for coaching that game. But it was bad kicking that lost that game. Even the cheap behinds tactic would not even be a thing if we kicked straight.
A lot like first halves against Richmond 2019 and Port 2020. Then with the same third quarter meltdown that effectively ended the game. So I think Bomber and Scotty are kind of even on that front - can't vouch for blown chances like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last place any true Geelong fan will be after the grand final, BigFooty wise, will be this thread. There's not a single outcome where grace, intelligence and balanced discussion will ensue. I do feel sorry for the people on either side that have a bigger priority preparing their "I told you so" than what the result means to them personally. If Geelong win it would be disappointing but expected to see the likes of GC26 calling out individuals (and hoisting every vindication onto Scott alone) rather than simply adulating over the entire organisation's success.

The last place any true Geelong fan will be after the grand final, BigFooty wise, will be this thread. There's not a single outcome where grace, intelligence and balanced discussion will ensue. I do feel sorry for the people on either side that have a bigger priority preparing their "I told you so" than what the result means to them personally. If Geelong win it would be disappointing but expected to see the likes of GC26 calling out individuals (and hoisting every vindication onto Scott alone) rather than simply adulating over the entire organisation's success.

Yes, yes.....what interests me is the absolute silence from some of our more "abrasive" posters....its as if they have disappeared into the blogosphere...not a word of elation, or satisfaction,...or even basic pleasure we have made a GF....

One wonders how silent they will be should Richmond prevail...supporters indeed.......

I absolutely 100% agree with you.
But........winning or losing a Grand Final brings out a lot of emotion. (Especially for the first couple of hours & especially with drinking etc)
So it won't happen like that and it's perfectly understandable.

We won't know if things have changed until we play Richmond. We lost in the only high pressure final we have been involved in this year.

I think we will win.

More people read BigFooty than I thought. Just pumping up Chris Scott to a delivery driver who is a mad Cat man and he said so you’re a Chris Scott nut hugger! Only other time I’ve ever heard or seen that was on here!!

Lingy "To the final bell" podcast
Going back to Prelim vs Richmond it was always this theme of control vs chaos and we tried to play keepings off, do you think they have learnt from that, and say just play chaos vs chaos and actually back in the fact we will clean them up

Stokesy
I think what I have seen since that Richmond game is fun football, they seem to be enjoying their footy and doing it with a smile on their face out there. When you're able to play on instinct and play footy the way it should be - I think they have just figured out what works for the people and personal for that group.

AMEN STOKESY - Same thing I have been saying for 8 years.

It's amazing hearing my exact thoughts repeated by two ex players (one a legend of the club and last captain of our premiership).. Feels good that despite what geelongcrazy and others make up - here we have two ex players who actually know about AFL (unlike geelongcrazy who couldn't predict if the sun was going to come up tomorrow) echoing my exact thoughts that I have held for 8 years and finally seem to be getting accepted at the club/coaches level.

More people read BigFooty than I thought. Just pumping up Chris Scott to a delivery driver who is a mad Cat man and he said so you’re a Chris Scott nut hugger! Only other time I’ve ever heard or seen that was on here!!
LOL !! Should have sent him the link to bigfooty

Yes, yes.....what interests me is the absolute silence from some of our more "abrasive" posters....its as if they have disappeared into the blogosphere...not a word of elation, or satisfaction,...or even basic pleasure we have made a GF....

One wonders how silent they will be should Richmond prevail...supporters indeed.......
I don't think now or soon after the GF is a great time for a lot of back and forth in this thread.

One thing is, though, I said for years that we had the group to compete for a flag. Since 2016 I have staunchly maintained that we've had just as much, if not more, talent in the group than Richmond yet on Saturday we're lining up for our first crack in four chances in the window while they're lining up for their third in a similar period (including 2016 for Geelong and 2018 for Richmond).

While one could come here and say Scott has proven the haters, the doubters, the pessimists wrong, a common argument put forth here, repeatedly, was that this group, largely unchanged from last year except with the loss of a pretty good mid, wasn't good enough. They couldn't hack it in finals. It was said about them once - and I agreed - those posters often seemed to be the more pessimistic group, because they didn't really think that Geelong group was capable in finals either.

Whatever you feel about Chris Scott's coaching, there have been different explanations and perspectives put forward for why Geelong in recent years struggled in finals, and maybe the Geelong football club, rather than any individual, through changes they have made and resilience they have shown this year, have proven them all a little wrong.

I don't think now or soon after the GF is a great time for a lot of back and forth in this thread.

One thing is, though, I said for years that we had the group to compete for a flag. Since 2016 I have staunchly maintained that we've had just as much, if not more, talent in the group than Richmond yet on Saturday we're lining up for our first crack in four chances in the window while they're lining up for their third in a similar period (including 2016 for Geelong and 2018 for Richmond).

While one could come here and say Scott has proven the haters, the doubters, the pessimists wrong, a common argument put forth here, repeatedly, was that this group, largely unchanged from last year except with the loss of a pretty good mid, wasn't good enough. They couldn't hack it in finals. It was said about them once - and I agreed - those posters often seemed to be the more pessimistic group, because they didn't really think that Geelong group was capable in finals either.

Whatever you feel about Chris Scott's coaching, there have been different explanations and perspectives put forward for why Geelong in recent years struggled in finals, and maybe the Geelong football club, rather than any individual, through changes they have made and resilience they have shown this year, have proven them all a little wrong.
Yeah it’s strange that one in particular thinks this is somehow vindication for 9 years of proving the doubters right. The people criticising the club thought the team should be good enough to make the gf. Yet somehow cause they finally have it makes them right? Bizarre thought process there.

Team was capable of making gf’s a few times over the journey, but for whatever reasons they blew a lot of chances. I hope they are insanely hungry now, and go into saturday willing to run through brick walls to win it.

Lingy "To the final bell" podcast

Stokesy

AMEN STOKESY - Same thing I have been saying for 8 years.

It's amazing hearing my exact thoughts repeated by two ex players (one a legend of the club and last captain of our premiership).. Feels good that despite what geelongcrazy and others make up - here we have two ex players who actually know about AFL (unlike geelongcrazy who couldn't predict if the sun was going to come up tomorrow) echoing my exact thoughts that I have held for 8 years and finally seem to be getting accepted at the club/coaches level.

All well and good but apply that mantra to a team that can’t execute it and it is pointless. Ling and Stokes played in a side which, talent wise, will simply never ever ever be seen again. Of course you can play on and play fast high risk football when your worst midfielder is the best tagger of the last 20 years who also happened to have excellent skills. Players that would have been the first or second midfielder at most teams weren’t even midfielders at Geelong on anything more than a part time basis - Chapman and Johnson.

We have played most years the style that best suits our personnel. Like ANY game plan, if it is not executed, it won’t work. And at times it hasn’t been executed well, or quite simply the other team has been too good.

But you cannot make a logical argument to say ‘all we had to do was be a bit more daring and we would have won.’ It doesn’t work that way.

Would the Melbourne Storm have hoisted the last two trophies instead of the Roosters if they’d played ad-lib rugby league and thrown the ball around like a vintage Tigers or Cowboys outfit? No.

Because they didn’t have the players to do it. They had the players to stick to a simply game plan based around control and discipline and slowing the game down.

It didn’t work. Suddenly they’ve got more experience in their halves, improved centres and fullback, and that same plan has them in a grand final.

Yeah it’s strange that one in particular thinks this is somehow vindication for 9 years of proving the doubters right. The people criticising the club thought the team should be good enough to make the gf. Yet somehow cause they finally have it makes them right? Bizarre thought process there.

Team was capable of making gf’s a few times over the journey, but for whatever reasons they blew a lot of chances. I hope they are insanely hungry now, and go into saturday willing to run through brick walls to win it.

Not as bizarre as thinking that immediately after we had just made 4 grand finals in 5 years, we should just keep making them as a matter of right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back