Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting discussions here, and i have to admit that generally being a Scott fan, last year did seem almost like the end of his road, he'd been up there so long but kept running into something better.

However from the announcements of Steve Hocking back to the club as CEO, and the changing of the guard of some long term assistants was in my eyes a very positive sign. The removal of the line coaches and perhaps the end of what may have become little 'cliques' in the side, perhaps looking more after their own numbers rather than that as a whole for the side. Replacing the ostensibly serious and perhaps challenging demeanor of Scarlett for the fresh, sunny and new voice in Eddie Betts was something that i feel did help to change the mood at the club. And all the new additions coaching-wise and of course recruitment, and the development of our younger players like SDK, Holmes, Close and Zuthrie in particular has borne genuine fruit this year. And who among us dared to even contemplate that our weaknesses in the pressure era (a classy and penetrative small forward) could be answered so handsomely by Tyson Stengle's addition to the club. A quantum leap over what we've had in the last few years, and he's Stevie J and Chappy dangerous near goals.

So we now are in the ultimate decider, a position no coach or fan would turn their noses up at the start of the season. Indeed this is where as a long term fan i reckon we lose perspective a little on what we have in our club, what it gives to us as fans.

Back in the mid-late 70's when i started following the mighty Cats, we were really a mid-ranking side, every now and then we'll beat a Collingwood or a Carlton, we would lose to the power clubs regularly and scratch together a 12-10, 11-11 type season and sneak into the 5 or just miss out. The heady days of 1980 and 1981 where we made the double chance and we'd watch a side that was pretty good still ended in disappointment due to back to back Pie defeats in those preliminary finals. Then aside from watching Gary Sr, the rest of the 80's bar '89 were a continuation of that same mediocrity.

So we reach the magic 1989 under Blight, and are right up there punching aside from a crappy 1990 and a rather stiff 1993, but three GF defeats and a PF loss was too much for him, and he probably thought he could do no more. Gary Ayres came in and had a record like Nathan Buckley, a losing GF early and then sliding down the table, by '98 and '99 the club was in huge debt and our playing stocks were low.

But since then, we've had two coaches...Bomber who built the list and style along with Wells, and after a couple of forays in '04 and '05, the side bloomed from '07 onwards. As Cat fans we saw the highest highs for several years, until the PF loss in 2010 to the Pies, when a battered Cats side bowed out, and Chris Scott came in.

A flag to him in 2011, and pretty much up there punching away ever since. Just three active participants will be in the team this weekend from the 2011 list, being Hawkins, Duncan and Selwood, with Guthrie at the club as a 1st year player. And we've seen the Hawks precision kicking (and maybe 9.5 m passes), replaced by Dusty-ball...the scrambly footy of the Tigers coupled with statistically the best 4 years of finals footy anyone has played. Both these sides won three Flags, Geelong being beaten en route 5 times in this time. But did Geelong give up? No!

No matter what, the players under Scott keep buying in. Even Sydney has had a couple of years out of the Finals, West Coast have gone from Flags in '06 and '18 to absolute tripe twice, with a few better years here and there. Port went from 119 to terrible in 2011, and under Hinkley have been up there losing two home PF's, but not making a GF, and have been disappointing in a few other years too. St.Kilda flamed out after Lyon, and Freo did too.

But Geelong has always had it's hand up in September, and given me as a long time fan the joys of watching many stirring wins throughout the seasons, and it's a darn sight better than being mired in that 8-12 win range that Geelong sides in the 70's and 80's had endured. 2003 is the last season of single-figure wins, and 2018 is the only season since '06 where the club has suffered 10 defeats in a season. Scott and the team have won 15 straight and are into the GF, all Cat fans should just be on board, forget the past as it's done and dust(ied) and hope like hell we can get the choccies this weekend. GF's are hard to make, and harder to win, so as Cat fans, just be on board!

Pretty hilarious how having a different opinion is supposedly no longer a reason to post in here. Well, at least not this week...

In the end, I find it patently ridiculous to suggest that the GFC is back in a Grand Final because people as knowledgeable as our coaching staff started listening to the bleating of some supporters who have as much insight into what goes on at the club as just about every other football fan. That is, pretty close to none.

So when posters come in here and suggest that the club's finally back on the right track because they kept the faith and expertly guided the Cats back into contention with their sage advice, I will have no hesitation in sharing my opinion that they are hopelessly misguided. And it would lack integrity to wave it through this week and then get back to offering that viewpoint once Saturday's race is run.

It's an opinions forum, after all, Their opinion is that they were right all along. My opinion is that they were wrong then and look even more foolish now. But they're all just opinions in the end. And being able to share them at any time (rather than opting for some pretence of 'Kumbaya', simply because the club is competing in yet another GF) is surely the basis for how forums like this should operate. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

I respect the other posters on this board enough to tell them when I entirely disagree with them. That's how this forum should work. And, in fact, how life should work. And, as has been said so many times before, if it's really a problem for any poster to have their perspective questioned here, you seriously wonder why they believe an opinions forum like this even exists.
Post of the year.

Should be pinned to the thread.

Even the hard arse anti Scott brigade would have to concede Scott and his team have produced an excellent result in 2022, 15 in a row..minor premier with 2 games in hand, a hard fought QF victory and a superb performance to crush their Preliminary Final opponents....a game that many coaches claim is the hardest game to win.

Now to the GF...with a worthy opponent ready and able to take the Cup. Geelong are ready and look hard to beat....but this is elite sport and in reality a 50/50 proposition awaits the first bounce.

Whatever the final result, Scott and his team have produced a cohesive, hard running, team oriented brand of attacking football that's been a pleasure to watch both in the H&A season and now in the finals.

While I am happy to concede a bias, I believe the players, Scott and his team, the recruitment personnel and the administration deserve this Premiership.

Lets hope they go out and get it.

Even the hard arse anti Scott brigade would have to concede Scott and his team have produced an excellent result in 2022, 15 in a row..minor premier with 2 games in hand, a hard fought QF victory and a superb performance to crush their Preliminary Final opponents....a game that many coaches claim is the hardest game to win.

Now to the GF...with a worthy opponent ready and able to take the Cup. Geelong are ready and look hard to beat....but this is elite sport and in reality a 50/50 proposition awaits the first bounce.

Whatever the final result, Scott and his team have produced a cohesive, hard running, team oriented brand of attacking football that's been a pleasure to watch both in the H&A season and now in the finals.

While I am happy to concede a bias, I believe the players, Scott and his team, the recruitment personnel and the administration deserve this Premiership.

It's been an exciting build-up to the climax of 2022.

Well done to all involved, and hopefully every Cat fan, no matter where they are, cheers loud and strong, and walks away proud no matter the outcome.

This is what it's all about, and it shouldn't be taken for granted. This is an awesome occasion, and hopefully the sense of joy and excitement is pulsing through our blood, and the scent of a Premiership fills our nostrils.

Lets do this!

In 12 years, it's an excellent outcome to get:

-1 or 2 (pretty please) premierships
-3 Grand Finals
-8 Preliminary Finals
-11x top 8

When you're taking over an old and already success-nourished team that people said was about to "fall off a cliff" (and repeated every year since). Especially when in 3 of the "fail" years they got knocked out by the eventual premiers (outstanding dynasty Hawthorn and Richmond sides) by an average of 3 goals. With, let's face it, some good but not outstanding lists in all but the premiership year. 2013 at a push if Hawkins back wasn't stuffed.

I know on any given day there is no "deserving" - there are only winners and losers. But boy it'd be a nice reward for having a hell of a crack for a decade plus.

I got a new jumper the other day as my old one was a bit small (around the shoulders, not the waist thank you very much lol). I was thinking - who's my favourite player at the moment and what number do I want?

This forum, and constant posting in this particular thread has brought me to the conclusion that the club-related person I post the most about and that I genuinely admire is Chris Scott. I like talking coaching, tactics and strategies even more than I like talking about particular plays by players.

I ended up getting a long-sleeved blue top like the coaches wear. I will get 'C.Scott' put on the back in the next few weeks when the shop isnt too busy.

You will find most of the 'anti Scott brigade' have said they like the game plan much earlier in the year before the streak. I agree with the rest of the post.

Scott has sacrificed a lot - in particular working for free to enable others to support their family during covid. 100% deserves this premiership. Looking at the Hawthorn stuff happening at the moment makes me appreciate Scott as a person.

It was not that long ago that he would not talk to our younger players. This has been rectified as has the boys club mentality resulting in full buy in from the playing group. Not many people can change and improve at his age. Win the flag here and he passes Thompson as the best coach we have had.

I JUST WANNA SAY THAT I SAID THIS BLOKE WAS A TRASH COACH AFTER VARCOE MISSED IN 2013

BEEN PROVEN WRONG SO MANY TIMES THIS YEAR AND HAPPY TO EAT MY WORDS
SO HAPPY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there-are-those-who-said-this-day-wouldnevercomel-what-are-13611273.png

FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE TO THE LEFT PLEASE AND TAKE YOUR TIME.
SPEAK CLEARLY AND CONCISELY SO WE CAN ALL HEAR IT.

GO CATTERS

Congratulations Chris. Well deserved and very happy to be proven wrong, looking forward to what you can accomplish next. Pleased you’ve extended.

Huge congrats to Chris Scott - what a journey - at the start of the year I wrote him off but the team and coaches finally 'clicked' and never stopped once the train left the station. We played an attacking brand of football - our defense turned into a wall and we got contributions from everyone. Throw in some recent A+ recruiting and the final pieces of the puzzle came together. I have always known the team was capable of winning a premiership which is why I and others got so frustrated over time in this thread - we just needed a few things to go right and a slight change of game style which Melbourne belting us last year did. Chris Scott can now claim this team as his own making and I give him all the props for making the necessary changes to finally get the premiership we have all been hoping for. Enjoy the win boys.

I would like to move a motion that this thread be locked and ended.

Chris Scott is a certified Geelong legend and a proper thread in honour of the man is appropriate.

I would like to move a motion that this thread be locked and ended.

Chris Scott is a certified Geelong legend and a proper thread in honour of the man is appropriate.

No argument from me.....is there a consensus..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back