AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

This is basically the exact same thing as what happened with Wright. Difference is he didn't take a mark.

If he marks the ball then this isn't up for discussion.

Wright's has gone straight to the tribunal which means we need to say... something.

Redman was offered a week, to go to the tribunal you would have to think you can downgrade one of the below

Pretty hard to argue he didn't intend to hit Newcombe, or that he didn't hit him high IMO. So you're at trying to downgrade low impact from low to... low. As soon as it's high and intentional it's at least a week.

View attachment 1939072
Unless you're Heeney?

Does it make any difference to his defence that the ball was kicked by an Essendon player? If the ball wasn’t meant for Wright (ie kicked by a Swans player) then he is encroaching on Cunningham’s space. But because the pass was meant for him then Cunningham is encroaching on Wrigt’s space.

Perhaps, down the track, any right-of-way law would take into account the intended target. If you connect with an intended target front-on, regardless of whether or not you have eyes for the ball, it’s a free kick to the targeted player. The idea would be that, as in Wright’s situation, Cunningham would be more inclined to visualise the intended target before going for the ball and thus halt his foray into the path of Wright.

Watched a lot of vision and opinions this morning

Since Saturday I have had a niggling question regarding what responsibility Cunningham should hold for putting himself in harm's way.

IMO if you give that player going back (or the one coming forward for that matter) right of way, the game is much worse for it.

It takes a lot of courage to go back. I reckon in bracing for contact, Wright showed less courage. I reckon even after realising someone is coming into his lane, he could have (and should have) still gone for and probably taken the chest mark. I actually don't reckon he would have been hurt - but he might have. That's part of the tough game of AFL.

Cunningham knows he could be hurt and still puts his body on the line. If Wright had done that too there is no case to answer.

Usually people get weeks because they chose to be overly aggressive. I reckon we will see Wright suspended because he chose to pull out of a marking contest.

I feel ok that the game should say - as long as everyone is playing the ball in a marking contest, we will accept the injuries. And protecting yourself while marking is not an excuse. And that means a few weeks for Wright.

Watched a lot of vision and opinions this morning

Since Saturday I have had a niggling question regarding what responsibility Cunningham should hold for putting himself in harm's way.

IMO if you give that player going back (or the one coming forward for that matter) right of way, the game is much worse for it.

It takes a lot of courage to go back. I reckon in bracing for contact, Wright showed less courage. I reckon even after realising someone is coming into his lane, he could have (and should have) still gone for and probably taken the chest mark. I actually don't reckon he would have been hurt - but he might have. That's part of the tough game of AFL.

Cunningham knows he could be hurt and still puts his body on the line. If Wright had done that too there is no case to answer.

Usually people get weeks because they chose to be overly aggressive. I reckon we will see Wright suspended because he chose to pull out of a marking contest.

I feel ok that the game should say - as long as everyone is playing the ball in a marking contest, we will accept the injuries. And protecting yourself while marking is not an excuse. And that means a few weeks for Wright.
That’s all and good but the issue is CTE and those going with the flight are the ones risking damage. If they want to prevent it they need to dissuade the kamikaze stuff and not nab the bloke who is leading up to the ball and seeing all the potential damage unfolding just as he goes for the mark.

People think Eddie is a buffoon but he is actually one of the smartest operators the game has seen. People are blinded by his love of Collingwood but when you listen to his take(s), they do make sense and this one will be an interesting listen if you’ve got a link?
he’s a very underrated commentator too when he’s not watching collingwood, (btw remember PRESS RED FOR ED lol), he gets excited about the footy but remembers he’s supposed to be clearly and articulately calling the action.

Maybe he can spend the next four weeks standing on a fit ball to improve his core strength while the fire footballs at him
Z8skqI.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pled guilty

In a world where you only get away with what you think you can get away with, we’d rather be the lone cow that willingly jumps onto the table at the slaughterhouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back