2012 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get this theory that gets floated from time to time. Why were people giving stuff to GWS in order for Melbourne to get Viney at 26? I get Melbourne to GWS to not bid, but how did GC win? Why would Melbourne not be giving something to GC to not bid?

Because the deal allowed GWS to get overs for Hogan and therefore give GC a decent deal for Martin.

It was win-win-win.

3 + 13 were the price that Melb paid for getting Viney at 26.

2 + not bidding for Viney was the price that GC bid for Martin.

It was all back room shenigans that had a lot of other teams with their noses out of joint. If the AFL are looking at the Tippett deal for draft interference then they should be looking at this bit of dodgey dealing as well. I know EQ did an article which sold it as all above board but there was a lot more in it then she said.
I am not sure if it is construed as draft tampering or just excellent trading.

Because the deal allowed GWS to get overs for Hogan and therefore give GC a decent deal for Martin.

It was win-win-win.

So under this theory, GWS somehow shortchanged itself on the GC pick to pay back GC? Still not seeing it - I'm betting that if the Bulldogs had offered more than one first round pick, Martin would be their's right now.

So under this theory, GWS somehow shortchanged itself on the GC pick to pay back GC? Still not seeing it - I'm betting that if the Bulldogs had offered more than one first round pick, Martin would be their's right now.
Yep, while GWS got overs from the Dees for Hogan. As TBD said: win/win/win. And dodgy as.

i.e. GWS to GC: We'll let you have Martin for a reasonable price without overpaying if you don't bid on Viney, so we can force Melbourne to overpay for Hogan.

Brilliant read, I think we're extremely lucky to be privy to such insight, don't see any club even have anything else as close to what we get.

Hogan part makes me very angry, Hogan for pick 8 would've been brilliant (even if we include 24). Originally didn't care too much about how the AFL punished Melbourne, now I want them to destroy them for tanking :)

Just think of it as a three way trade.

GWS: Pick 2, 3, 13
Suns: Jack Martin and end of first round compensation pick
Melbourne: Jesse Hogan, Pick 20 and the ability to get Todd Viney at pick 26

Jack Viney

Todd is going to be in for a shock when training starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last I saw he had a few to many Big Macs during the off season...

Have you seen Darren Jarman lately?

744925-jarman.jpg

Looks like he swallowed a MacTruck:D

It does make Melbourne look especially stupid for giving up 3 and 13 if we were the second highest bidder with only pick 8. We wouldn't have got close to outbidding Melbourne.
They also got Dom Barry and pick 20 in the trade so it seems pretty balanced actually. It is interesting how clubs value players though. Melbourne were willing to give up 3 then the next highest bidder was prepared to give up 8 as part of the trade. Big difference.
I wonder if Kerr thought 8, 24, 33 for Anderson, 12 and 14 was an option? Sounds fair to me.

They also got Dom Barry and pick 20 in the trade so it seems pretty balanced actually. It is interesting how clubs value players though. Melbourne were willing to give up 3 then the next highest bidder was prepared to give up 8 as part of the trade. Big difference.
I wonder if Kerr thought 8, 24, 33 for Anderson, 12 and 14 was an option? Sounds fair to me.

that would be an awesome deal and heavily in our favour wish that happened

I'm sure it's been mentioned here already, but there's an unbelievable write up on your website of the entire thought process behind your recruiting.

Sensational and innovative initiative by your club. Very envious :thumbsu:
We've been lucky enough to get it for the last 3 years (plus a similarly in depth draft wrap).

I rate Kerr in the highest regards, but does anyone know if he has worked at a club before Brisbane and what involvement in AFL he had before Brisbane?

I was expecting a few surprises, but the thought process was fairly similar to what had been discussed here. It seems that the ruck/forward role is seen as something that clubs are still trying to adapt to with imperfect solutions. Kerr's comments suggest the Leigh Brown prototype will likely evolve into a player who is more of a genuine ruckman. The day the sub rule was implemented, every ruckmen in the competition would probably have changed their training to focus a lot more on being a capable key position player. So in a few years the forward capabilities of the ruckmen will be a lot better than it was back then. Being able to predict these sort of trends is obviously important for a list manager.

Apprently there are 12 high end KPF's:

Franklin
J. Reiwoldt
N. Reiwoldt
Brown
Pavlich
Tippett
Walker
Cloke
Hawkins
JPod
Roughead