Opinion 2014 run home v 2013 run home

Remove this Banner Ad

Dug this up as its not bad time to suss out how we're looking in comparison to last year. Considering the auto inclusion of Barlow and Fyfey we probably would've seen as close to our finals side this week as we were gonna. Alas, it wasn't to be. So unless we see Ibbo come in this week I dare say we are looking locked with the potential for Macca to come back in late (another big discussion happening elsewhere).

We really had no idea what to expect heading to the Cattery in September last year as we had just been seen pulverizing GWS, Melbourne, Carlton and Port followed by Peel's loss to the Saints. The fwds were gelling well, the mids were molding to the return of Sandi while the backs were readjusting to the loss of Ibbo, Clancee and, at times, Macca.

This year it is much easier to see that our best is gonna go very close with the big dogs. Personally I believe our mids are better than last year offensively while our fwds have the potential to be deadlier but are still yet to gell. Up back we are looking shakier. While the HBs have shown their capacity to transition with speed and smarts our backs have struggled to peel off/2nd man as well as 2013. Again with Sos in and Jonno building we can hopefully gell in the next couple weeks.

All up, IMO the 2014 run home has provided us with other ways to win that we didn't have last year. As a pure defense model I think the 2013 team was a machine and backed itself in to just kick enough to beat the oppositions low score. We still have the capacity to go into this mode though I'm not entirely convinced we can suffocate as well as last year. On the other hand we have shown we can go coast to coast a well as the anyone and the mids are way more attacking.

Hard to say but so far the prospects of 2014 are looking just as exciting as 2013 if not more given our added flexibility.

I dont think we will beat port without Fyfe and Barlow, they will beat us in the middle. If we do though, everything comes down to first week of finals, being an interstate side we need to get up and get the home prelim again.

Say we go into Port game with a 5% buffer over their percentage.

What margin will we be hoping for SHOULD we don't end up winning?

Port continue to be out of form, they will not be as hard as some might think, they lost to an out of sorts Collingwood of all sides and only narrowly beat an out of sorts Gold Coast!

However me must go hard as possible on Sunday to nail that coffin shut on Port's hopes of taking our spot in the 4 to take the pressure off.

We beat Essendon easily earlier in the season without Barlow and Fyfe. Of course far from the best opponent but proof we are not going to be rooned in our next two matches.

Port continue to be out of form, they will not be as hard as some might think, they lost to an out of sorts Collingwood of all sides and only narrowly beat an out of sorts Gold Coast!

However me must go hard as possible on Sunday to nail that coffin shut on Port's hopes of taking our spot in the 4 to take the pressure off.
They do have a stack of their best coming back in and we are coming off a six dayer BUT we're at home and it takes a bit for players to get back into the swing of things. Port will do more damage in September then they will prior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back