2015 draft top 5 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it goes to show, these days when you get a pick in the top 5 of the draft.
Your pretty much getting an elite level prospect.
I'd love to say "you're right" but on the back of some of the spuds we've picked I'm not so sure.
Our recruiting been much better last couple of year but for the 4-5 years prior to that we battled.
Loved Weitering getting stuck into Jack on Thursday night though, that stuff is bloody great!

I'd love to say "you're right" but on the back of some of the spuds we've picked I'm not so sure.
Our recruiting been much better last couple of year but for the 4-5 years prior to that we battled.
Loved Weitering getting stuck into Jack on Thursday night though, that stuff is bloody great!

I meant in the last 2-3 draft all top 5 picks are generally guns.
In the past there were heaps of top 5 busts.
But now it seem a pick in the top 5 is pretty much a lock to be a gun player.

The first round was touted as one of the best in recent times. The drop off after that was the issue, it is why teams wanted first round picks and really couldn't care less after that. A lot of players went for very specific need based selections after the first round.

Yep agree with that for sure

Show that the top end talent in very recent years has become almost bust proof.

2013 Pick.1 Tom Boyd
2.Josh Kelly
3.Jack Billings
4.Bonty
5.KK

2014. Pick. 1 Paddy MaCartin
2.CP5
3 Angus Brayshaw
4.Jarrod Pickett
5. JDG

2015. Pick. 1. Jacob Weitering
2. Josh Schache
3. Callum Mills
4. Clayton Oliver
5. Darcy Parish

2013 Pick.1 Tom Boyd
2.Josh Kelly
3.Jack Billings
4.Bonty
5.KK

2.CP5
3 Angus Brayshaw
4.Jarrod Pickett
5. JDG

2. Josh Schache
3. Callum Mills
4. Clayton Oliver
5. Darcy Parish
Likely because the talent scouting department of AFL clubs is much better than it was even going back ten years. They're now actual departments with managers and business support teams instead of just Davo doing the rounds on weekends and getting tips from his mate Thommo in SA.

I thought the knock on the draft was its depth. The top end was never in question
more the disparity between the top 5-8 and the rest of the draft.
Outside Weitering, Schache, Mills, Hopper, Kennedy, Oliver, Parish and probably Curnow, the rest of the draft down to the 3rd rd was pretty even.

Guys like Lovell, Hibberd, Mathieson, Partington, Tucker, Balic, Bonner, Milera, Rioli, Gresham et al should prove to be good talents over the years.
Don't think we'll see this as a stinker draft.

2013 Pick.1 Tom Boyd
2.Josh Kelly
3.Jack Billings
4.Bonty
5.KK

2.CP5
3 Angus Brayshaw
4.Jarrod Pickett
5. JDG

2. Josh Schache
3. Callum Mills
4. Clayton Oliver
5. Darcy Parish
Conveniently missed the 2012 draft. Plowman O Rourke and Toumpas all look like busts at this stage although part of that could be development.

Conveniently missed the 2012 draft. Plowman O Rourke and Toumpas all look like busts at this stage although part of that could be development.

The first two were GWS reaching for needs. Drop those guys to the end of the top 10 where they were more expected pre-draft and you get a top 5 of Whitfield, Toumpas, Stringer, Macrae and Wines which looks a lot more reasonable.

You may have missed I stated recent years.
Meaning the last 2 or 3 drafts

Also the 2012 draft GWS needs based drafted- which was silly but it was. Plowman was seen as a lower top 10 selection and O'Rourke somewhere in the low teens. They reached big time on both hoping to hit the home run. In the end they were both busts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS have a pretty poor top 10 drafting record thus far.

Still have Cameron, albeit that was a sitter. Have mids coming out of their you know whats. Their defenders are weak though. Have a feeling they will have a good go at Hurley.

Cameron wasn't a top 10 pick. They took him as a 17 year old.

Exactly, they still have him. Similarly GC got O'Meara albeit through a mini draft. Cameron would have been pick 1 in an open draft.

I was talking only about their top 10 drafting history.

They have still taken some great kids early. Patton was 100% the right one. Josh Kelly is all class, Hopper is a gun. You get some, you lose some. Not every top pick will be good. GC were just as bad with their early picks...I mean come on Sam Day was pick 3 wasn't he..

They have still taken some great kids early. Patton was 100% the right one. Josh Kelly is all class, Hopper is a gun. You get some, you lose some. Not every top pick will be good. GC were just as bad with their early picks...I mean come on Sam Day was pick 3 wasn't he..

I just said their history is poor. I didn't say they've never had a good top 10 selection. They have just had more bust than not and far too many who ended up back home as a result of poor psychological testing.

Sam Day and our drafting is irrelevant to my point.

I just said their history is poor. I didn't say they've never had a good top 10 selection. They have just had more bust than not and far too many who ended up back home as a result of poor psychological testing.

Sam Day and our drafting is irrelevant to my point.

With the exception of 2012, their drafting early has been fine. Both Patton and Boyd were the correct selections despite Boyd going home early. Patton will make it. Every club has made poor selections, I mean Sydney barely has had a good first rounder in years before the last 2-3 years.

With the exception of 2012, their drafting early has been fine. Both Patton and Boyd were the correct selections despite Boyd going home early. Patton will make it. Every club has made poor selections, I mean Sydney barely has had a good first rounder in years before the last 2-3 years.

Patton has done nothing so far and is stuck in the NEAFL behind Stewart. I do think he'll make it but it doesn't change their draft history. Sydney are poor too. That doesn't justify anything. Except they haven't had top 10 picks just monty academy selections.

GWS have a pretty poor top 10 drafting record thus far.
That's a bit harsh. The only bad year they had was 2012 and they still got Lachie Whitfield out of it. If it wasn't for injuries, guys like Patton would seem a lot better.

2013 Pick.1 Tom Boyd
2.Josh Kelly
3.Jack Billings
4.Bonty
5.KK

2.CP5
3 Angus Brayshaw
4.Jarrod Pickett
5. JDG

2. Josh Schache