Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick update - rookie pick Ben Davis has a stress fracture in his foot and is out for the season. Has already had surgery on it.
It's a s**t awful injury. He won't play AFL and we will be lucky if he ever plays an SANFL game for us.
Shame because he has talent.
If he's had surgery can't he be alright for next year

He's had injuries throughout the last 2 years, poor lad won't even get a run at it IMO

Usually it's the other way around.

The club assures us they are fit and picks them, only for them to turn out to be injured and put in woeful performances like Jacobs late last season and Jenkins in the semi.

Yep. Seems the club prefer the oxymoronic risk of 'fitness doubt of established older players' rather than the 'untried doubt' of junior - haven't yet smashed the door down - players.

Just a quick update - rookie pick Ben Davis has a stress fracture in his foot and is out for the season. Has already had surgery on it.
It's a s**t awful injury. He won't play AFL and we will be lucky if he ever plays an SANFL game for us.
Davis was our last pick in the ND, he's on the senior list - not the rookie list.

Not good news. I really hope it's not as bad as the picture you've painted.

well at least last year we learned that Jenkins, Jacobs and Brown are not this type of player.
Did we? Who was JJ's SANFL replacement? Dear? Riley showed little in the JLT matches to suggest that they were wrong. Kelly, as Brown's replacement, is about the only one where you'd have a fair argument.

Did we? Who was JJ's SANFL replacement? Dear? Riley showed little in the JLT matches to suggest that they were wrong. Kelly, as Brown's replacement, is about the only one where you'd have a fair argument.
did you get to see our last couple of games or not? Listless is the most polite way you could describe Jenkins and Jacobs. Lowden or Gus Graham would have been better options if we still had them, let alone Dear and ROB who might just actually have some upside. At least all four of those options would be able to run and jump.

We learned that (the fans). Did the club?
the thing I like about preseason is its the only time of the year that I get to be optimistic about the chance we might do something differently.

if I had to put my house on it though I'd be betting no of course.

did you get to see our last couple of games or not? Listless is the most polite way you could describe Jenkins and Jacobs. Lowden or Gus Graham would have been better options if we still had them, let alone Dear and ROB who might just actually have some upside. At least all four of those options would be able to run and jump.
Now you're just being silly. Lowden? Seriously?

I'm not suggesting that any of these players were at their best. Just that their replacements probably wouldn't have been any better than the injured versions of the player they were replacing.

Unless you know something we don't - like it's hugely severe, then he should recover from it.

Unfortunately he won't be able to train for a fairly long while.

I'm not suggesting that any of these players were at their best. Just that their replacements probably wouldn't have been any better than the injured versions of the player they were replacing.
Lowden for emphasis, but I'm very serious about ROB and Dear. What's the worst that could have happened? We lose to Sydney by an extra 5 goals? Big deal.

we were less than a 1% chance in that game after making no changes to the side who dished up that pathetic loss against West Coast. Had to make a statement. At least drop the injured players who were clearly struggling, let alone one or two of the usual suspects who went missing in r23. Dear, ROB and Kelly all could have had a tune-up against North Melbourne at home and who knows what they might have dished up with the faith of the coaches in a must-win final against Sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seriously wanted them to bring in Dear, for his AFL debut, in an AFL semi final? Seriously?
Dear shouldn't have played, you're right on that one. But ROB should have replaced either Jacob's or Jenkins and I really don't rate ROB.

That may be true. But then you could argue that if the team performance is no worse after replacing the walking wounded you still get the benefit of resting those that are injured while giving the replacements a chance to prove their detractors wrong.

That may be true. But then you could argue that if the team performance is no worse after replacing the walking wounded you still get the benefit of resting those that are injured while giving the replacements a chance to prove their detractors wrong.
We're talking about finals.. not H&A games. Lose a final and there is no tomorrow, no benefit of resting players.

You seriously wanted them to bring in Dear, for his AFL debut, in an AFL semi final? Seriously?
nah, he should have debuted in the easy, free-hit Elimination Final against North Melbourne - and if he didn't stink it up there then yes, his second game would have been a Semi. Big deal.

Josh Jenkins in the Semi: 2 Kicks, 5 Handballs, 1 Mark, 2 Tackles - 37 SuperCoach Points. Geeze, we really couldn't have afforded to sacrifice that output for a traffic cone. Dear could have done his ACL in the first term and probably wouldn't have had much worse a game.

Unless you know something we don't - like it's hugely severe, then he should recover from it.

Unfortunately he won't be able to train for a fairly long while.

I saw the x-ray. It's not good. You are right that you can recover from it, but I've also seen it completely destroy other players. If he can't run on his toes due to pain, he will lose pace and spring and that will be the end of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back