Autopsy 2016 AFL Grand Final - Western Bulldogs 13.11.89 d Sydney Swans 10.7.67

Remove this Banner Ad

The dogs won it fair and square in the end. Even the swans conceded this in the press room after the game and at the club speech last week. 20-8 is still a bit uneven and they should look at the game as an example for next year, no doubt.

The dogs won it fair and square in the end. Even the swans conceded this in the press room after the game and at the club speech last week. 20-8 is still a bit uneven and they should look at the game as an example for next year, no doubt.
The Swans were arguably the best team overall this year, but having 7-8 of the bottom 10 players really hurt them on the big day

There were some contentious free kicks that mostly went the Dogs' way, but at the end of the day, the Dogs absolutely slaughtered them in contested possession, clearances, and inside 50s, especially in the last quarter when the game was still up for grabs. Umpires didn't win the Dogs the game, the Dogs did it themselves.

Congratulations Western Bulldogs - 2016 Premiers.
I haven't been here for many years and decided to see what has been happening. What a time to come back! I used to be Mo7, along with Larry6 and Curly5 - we used to be the three Stooges. Really looking forward to seeing what the Doggies can do in 2017!

The heartening thing for Swans fans who write so disparagingly about umpires and an AFL conspiracy is the number of umpiring decisions from the GF they've already managed to have reversed. Obviously, the campaign on BigFooty has worked a treat. Another five months of concerted effort on their part will surely bring about a reversal of the complete match result. What could be fairer than that?

It would be much more productive for the Swans to continue to concentrate on this ghastly conspiracy over the next six months, rather than bothering to try to win a game next season. I see exciting things ahead for the team, and even more deservingly, for their supporters on BigFooty. If, by March next year, the Swans supporters have managed to have the result overturned, the celebrations will put those of the pretenders, the Western Bulldogs, in the shade. I can't wait to see that. Sport gives people so much pleasure, even when their team has lost a grand final.

Ah the beauty of the interwebz.

In 5 years time I'm not sure which I'll enjoy more, re-watching the GF, or coming in here and laughing my arse off at the conspiracy theories and pure salt on display. Might even make it a double header.

Probably best to cut and paste this thread into Dropbox though, just to make sure I've always got access to it.

No umpire has ever decided the outcome of an AFL game. Hate when people blame the umps. If you're good enough you win.

If you sook about umpires that's exactly what you are. A big bloody sook.

Spot on. People talk about these umpiring decisions but forget about missed shots on goal, bad turnovers, undisciplined free kicks or 50s when the player is trying to disguise their time wasting etc.

I haven't been here for many years and decided to see what has been happening. What a time to come back! I used to be Mo7, along with Larry6 and Curly5 - we used to be the three Stooges. Really looking forward to seeing what the Doggies can do in 2017!
Welcome back, Moe7 ! :grinning: I looked for you at family day, but did manage to bump into Larry6.

Bigfooty is best visited sparingly and selectively but we Doggies fans are enjoying our win and will continue to do so. :dogface:

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome back.

Niuk Niuk Niuk.

No umpire has ever decided the outcome of an AFL game. Hate when people blame the umps. If you're good enough you win.

If you sook about umpires that's exactly what you are. A big bloody sook.
I agree however there was a game in the early 90's Adelaide v Fitzroy where the Roys were crucified especially in the last 10 minutes.

I agree however there was a game in the early 90's Adelaide v Fitzroy where the Roys were crucified especially in the last 10 minutes.
Nothing beats what the swans copped on grand final day.. the umpires were disgraceful. An absolute disgrace.

However the best team won.

This is the first time I've browsed this thread on the main forum as I've been content and cosy in the Doggies forum.

I am utterly bemused that Sydney folk believe free kicks played any part in this game. You were completely out played with Kennedy and Grundy being your only clear winners. Your forward line was poor and well beaten, mids solid but the doggies well and truly held their own and without Grundy, your backline was only so-so. The Doggies 22 were all solid and played so much better as a team. Tackled better, harassed better, smothered better, all those 1%ers that at the end of a game add up. If we played that game a further 10 times, I'd say we'd win 9. Sydney were dominated. The scoreline was not a true indication.

Regarding free kicks, I'll admit the taking out of the legs was a bad call, but are you not taking into consideration the numerous of free kicks which were missed or incorrectly called against us? Blaming umpires and trying to discredit the dogs their rightful victory is such poor form.

Yeah I'm sure Bulldogs supporters wouldn't be blaming the umpires if they had a 20-8 free kick count against them.

They blamed the umpires for losing the 2009 prelim when the free kick count was 17-17 FFS.
worst argument ever. the umpire's aim is to call the frees as he sees them, not some arbitrary number. The dogs rarely infringe and draw frees a lot, it's often in our favour. Now what do you think of the 9/11 and the moon landing?

Yeah I'm sure Bulldogs supporters wouldn't be blaming the umpires if they had a 20-8 free kick count against them.

They blamed the umpires for losing the 2009 prelim when the free kick count was 17-17 FFS.
Only the delusional dick head ones.
Same happening here.

Free kick count is irrelevant. Just like the umps.

Dogs were the best team. Dogs won.

Dogs were the best team all finals series. They won the flag as that's what the best team does, regardless of what free kicks are paid or are not paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back