2016 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

My Thoughts on Daicos and Brown:

Neither are Guranteed Nation Draft Picks. I have big Concerns on Both.

As you Said Daicos without the Ball is Quite Poor. Good with ball in Hand.

Brown can get the ball but Lacks Hurt Factor by Foot.

Still the 2nd Half of Season to go and Both will most likely get a game or 2 with theVFL Team and see what they do there
Trying to talk them down? :)

I reckon English could be really well suited to a taller Mark Blicavs role. Almost could be a pure outside mid, such is his work racking up marks out of the contest. Love his potential.
CHB could be his position at AFL. would be a nice attacking defender that takes the second or third tall and intercepts. could become a jeremy mcgovern. Also because of his size and experience of rucking at juniors, he could be the perfect back up.

My Thoughts on Daicos and Brown:

Neither are Guranteed Nation Draft Picks. I have big Concerns on Both.

As you Said Daicos without the Ball is Quite Poor. Good with ball in Hand.

Brown can get the ball but Lacks Hurt Factor by Foot.

Still the 2nd Half of Season to go and Both will most likely get a game or 2 with theVFL Team and see what they do there

I thought that was a fair summary actually. Brown gets a lot of the ball but you couldn't say any of his kicks or handballs caught the eye. More of an accumulator type player. Will be a decent player in time. Daicos i didn't see much of but he has unusual kicking style for goal. Sort of slices the ball a bit like Suckling.

Metro vs WA

English uses the ball very well. Moves a lot better than most ruckman. Good in the centre square bounces too with clean hitouts.

Powell-Pepper is a beast, big body and crashes through tackles, reminds me a lot of Judd/Dustin Martin in that way. Smart around the footy to keep his feet. Nice decision maker, mover and has a burst of speed. Teams wanting another Dustin Martin should be all over this kid.

Griffen Lobe has some nice defensive qualities, some clever use of the body to spoil when out of position.

Tim Taranto has worked hard in both games Ive seen, seems like one of those constant accumulators of the footy who will consistantly play good games. Makes very, very good decisions when moving the ball inside 50. Really like the look of him and also looks AFL ready.

Liked Strnadica in the marking contests, but general kicking was only okay.

Petrevski-Seton looks like a flog with a long plaiter rat tail but the kid has AFL quality and will play AFL seniors from next year. Classy user of the footy.

Venables I still really liked. Kicked an absolute beauty from the middle in the second quarter. Then another nice one in the third.

Shae Bolton has great evasion and elusiveness, hel be the type of player that runs around guys on the outside. Lightning quick.

Patrick Kerr impressive again as one of the better KPFs in the draft. He kicked two beautiful snaps for a tall. Huge talent.

Country vs Allies

Will Brodie started the game with a magnificent goal. Hes good inside and out without any obvious weaknesses.

Worpel probably doesnt have the polish or ceiling of some others, but he is involved a lot and has an impact. Hes pretty quick too.

Reece Piper again I love his dash and his skills are great. Long penetrating kick.

McCluggage good again. His ball use and decision making stands out. He seems to get to the right spots a lot because he always hits the scoreboard. He has that ability where time slows for him, similar to Pendlebury.

Todd Marshall is quite agile and good at ground level for a tall, but he is an absolute rake and will take a long time before he has an AFL frame. Has a variety of talents though and is a smart footballer.

Josh Battle impressed again. Hes a shortish KPF but stocky. Similar to Fev hes good on the lead. Nice set shot too.

Are you assuming Brisbane at one, Essendon two, GC three us at four?

Or Brisbane with a priority pick?

If Brisbane don't get the priority we may be ok with SPS at 4 with GC most likely taking Bowes

Brisbane at 1. Pick is either SPS or McCluggage.
Essendon at 2. Pick is either Brodie or the player Brisbane don't select.
Neither team bid on Jack Bowes.
Gold Coast at 3. Select which ever player is left out of Brodie, SPS and McCluggage.
Fremantle at 4. Select who every they want. Can bid on Bowes if they want, giving GC back to back selections.

Bunker is massively underrated he hasn't had a bad game yet and is a very clean user of the footy.

He's been good....One of the surprises actually.

On the other side of the ledger; Allison hasn't been a quarter of the player he was last year>...And I smell a rat.

Well done to Vic Metro on their Championships win.

Main one to stand out for me was Pat Kerr. With few other key forwards standing out, he's picked a good time to put in a string of solid performances. He looked the most imposing of the forwards, hard to stop on the lead and good at ground level. Lots to work with. Otherwise Taylin Duman did some nice things, so too Oliver Florent and Corey Lyons. Luke Bunker kept up his good form too.

For WA, I'm just liking Griffin Logue more and more every time I see him. One of the best key defenders in the draft, he should play early next year and has a nice turn of speed. I'd certainly like him at Fremantle. Quinton Narkle was very good across half forward too, while Tim English had one of his better games around the ground. Still not sure his best role, and a top 10 pick seems a lot for a project tall.

In the other game, Reece Piper flashed some nice things off half back. Tried to do a little much at times, but he's certainly worth putting some time into. I'm just glad Josh Battle finally had a good game, about the first time I've been truly impressed by him. Moved well and a very nice kick, all Championships I'd wanted him to move away from the goal square.

I liked Ben Long down back for the Allies, he played with some good aggression and it's easy to see why recruiters are intrigued. I'm a bigger fan than most of Ben Davis, thought he flashed down back too. Was asked to do a bit too much in terms of playing on the tall forwards, but he seemed to read the play well and his marking was good. And I still think Kobe Mutch is the better prospect than Harry Perryman, such a clean and natural midfielder.

And my All Australin side...

b: Andrew McGrath - Brennan Cox - Sam Walker
hb: Harry Perryman - Griffin Logue - Jack Scrimshaw
c: Zac Fisher - Will Brodie - Kobe Mutch
hf: Tim Taranto - Josh Battle - Hugh McCluggage
f: Tyson Stengle - Patrick Kerr - Will Hayward
r: Peter Ladhams - Jonty Scharenberg - Jack Graham
i: Tim English - Jake Pitman - Dylan Clarke - Daniel Venables

Unlucky: Callum Brown, Reece Piper, Shai Bolton, Jack Maibaum, Sam Powell-Pepper, Sam Hayes, Steven Slimming, Luke Bunker

And my All Australin side...

b: Andrew McGrath - Brennan Cox - Sam Walker
hb: Harry Perryman - Griffin Logue - Jack Scrimshaw
c: Zac Fisher - Will Brodie - Kobe Mutch
hf: Tim Taranto - Josh Battle - Hugh McCluggage
f: Tyson Stengle - Patrick Kerr - Will Hayward
r: Peter Ladhams - Jonty Scharenberg - Jack Graham
i: Tim English - Jake Pitman - Dylan Clarke - Daniel Venables

Unlucky: Callum Brown, Reece Piper, Shai Bolton, Jack Maibaum, Sam Powell-Pepper, Sam Hayes, Steven Slimming, Luke Bunker

Powell-Pepper & Bolton ahead of the likes of Stengle & Hayward for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powell-Pepper & Bolton ahead of the likes of Stengle & Hayward for mine.

I explained my selections more in my draft thread. But I went with Stengle and Hayward for consistency and actual forward impact, I'm not picking midfielders in the forward pockets just to fit them in. And I do think Stengle was just as good as Bolton over the Championships, even if he hasn't received much attention. While Hayward was often the deepest of the SA forwards, and made the most of every possession.

With Powell-Pepper, I left him out because I think he flashed without having any real impact on the match. He didn't reach the level of his first game again. Venables probably had about as many touches, but he stood up when it mattered more.

I fully expect the bigger names to be picked though.

Brisbane at 1. Pick is either SPS or McCluggage.
Essendon at 2. Pick is either Brodie or the player Brisbane don't select.
Neither team bid on Jack Bowes.
Gold Coast at 3. Select which ever player is left out of Brodie, SPS and McCluggage.
Fremantle at 4. Select who every they want. Can bid on Bowes if they want, giving GC back to back selections.

Pipe dream if Bowes is not bid on with pick 1 or 2. Will be matched quicker than a politician turns his back on a policy.

Kid seems like a super talent

Patt Kerr impressive today. Lateral movement and handling below knees seems to have improved. Looking forward to this form translating to TAC cup level.

Pipe dream if Bowes is not bid on with pick 1 or 2. Will be matched quicker than a politician turns his back on a policy.

I just watched the replay after seeing the games live today I have no doubt Essendon offload pick 1 for picks 4 and 9 from GC. It makes sense. We want Key forwards and Marshall and Battle will be available at those IMO. GC get free go at any player with Pick 1 and wait for a bid on Bowes. Im really happy with this. I also think our 2nd rounder will get a decent blue collar mid.

I thought that was a fair summary actually. Brown gets a lot of the ball but you couldn't say any of his kicks or handballs caught the eye. More of an accumulator type player. Will be a decent player in time. Daicos i didn't see much of but he has unusual kicking style for goal. Sort of slices the ball a bit like Suckling.

They said J Daicos set shot was the same as his Dads Peter.

I think Daicos has more upside as he is very good with ball in hand. Just need to work on his Ball Winning

I just watched the replay after seeing the games live today I have no doubt Essendon offload pick 1 for picks 4 and 9 from GC. It makes sense. We want Key forwards and Marshall and Battle will be available at those IMO. GC get free go at any player with Pick 1 and wait for a bid on Bowes. Im really happy with this. I also think our 2nd rounder will get a decent blue collar mid.
In this draft two top 10 picks >>>>> Pick 1

Bowes hasn't seperated himself as a clear cut number one.

If Essendon have the number one pick, why bid on Bowes and make the player they select feel like he was their second option.

Really can't see Brisbane, an academy club bidding on a GC academy kid unless he's the clear cut second best talent. Only way Brisbane bid on Bowes is if they want to see the academy clubs chew up their picks/points in the hope of targeting a kid with their second round pick.

Essendon play both Brisbane and gold coast in Melbourne .
Essendon won't finish last .
I think Gold Coast will beat all of Essendon, Brisbane and Freo at home.

Which leaves the #1 pick to the loser of the Brisbane/Essendon match on July 24th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back