2016 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from the game, it was a good contest.

WA were clearly the best side all day. There was only a 5 minute period at the end of the first quarter where VC got on top. My son wanted me to sit down close, so it was hard to see who kicked all the goals. They were still a product of some silly 50m penalties and turnovers, especially a shocking inside kick from Strnadica.

It was all set up from the WA talls, the rucks, forwards were just too strong for the VC. I thought Goddard, English dominated the ruck contest and gave WA first use of the ball all game.

WA Players

2 Liam Baker - Very smart footballer and was on fire in the last term. Provided great lead up work, moved to the correct places and pressured nicely in the forward line. I think he kicked two goals in the last and set up some play and with 1 minute to go Kirby decided to take him out with a late and high hit. A previous poster thought it was fair, I completely disagree, I was sitting straight behind the hit and it looked terrible to me.

3 Stan Wright - You can get him confused sometimes with Guelfi, but his left boot was long, hard and direct. Had some amazing clearance work and the forwards enjoyed his work. Height is going to be a massive issue for the kid along with plenty of other WA players.

8 Shai Bolton - Close to the most skilled player on the ground, his height and work rate may be the issue. He certainly has plenty of tools, highlights was his goal sense, kicking and agility. Just needs to work on his decision making and work rate and he could make it at AFL level.

9 Matt Guelfi - He really enjoyed the first use of the ball and was one of the most dominate midfielders on the ground. Certainly benefited from WA's ruck dominance.

12 Aidan Clark - Very solid game from this kid and I would not mind getting some more vision of his work, it may improve my thoughts on him.

13 Quinton Narkle - Started off slowly and I was questioning the coaches placing him in center square. Then in the second half he really came on and played a great game. Really great inside work and his kicking was first rate, very good game from Narkle.

22 Cameron Zurhaar - In the first quarter I really liked his game and he stood out for two things. He took a really strong mark and then around 5 minutes later laid an amazing shepherd that cleared plenty of space for his team mate to kick into goal. He even seemed to enjoy the big hit. Kicked a nice goal on a tight angle and thought he looked good, just needs to get some more midfield minutes.

24 Sam Powell-Pepper - Bull of a bloke and goes in hard. Now I personally don't think he will go as high as I've been reading online, just throws it onto his boot without a heap of thought. He really needs to work on his decision making. A few goals were the efforts of his teammates and he was just on the receiving end. Still has plenty of AFL qualities, just really needs to work on his kicking around the ground.

36 - Logue - Maybe not AFL level, but this kid has plenty to work with and I would not mind seeing his development over the next few months.

40 Strnadica - Looked at home up forward, so it could actually see him get drafted and his kicking was fine. Made a big mistake that lead to a VC goal, but he certainly did not let that get him down. Nice kick for goal, considering Waterman could not hit the side of a barn.

44 Brad Fullgrabe Watch this space with this kid, he looked really good. Was nice on the lead and worked hard, I would love to see the back end of this season and see how much improvement we get.

(I did not have a team sheet, so it made it hard)

VC

7 Brodie - He was a player that caught my attention and was moving well around the midfield. Liked his first half and then he dropped away in the second half.

10 Jok - Kicking is an issue, but really ran hard all day and provided outside spread. Got plenty of the ball.

17 McCluggage - I did not massively notice him even if he did get a heap of the ball. The mechanics of his kicking action look really good, he still did some averages kicks during the game. I would have to watch a lot more of him to see if he really belongs at the pointy end of the draft, on first viewing if this guy is in the top 5 then it seems like a weakish draft.

21 Atley - I did not massively notice this kid, then again I was mainly watching the WA players.

22 Berry - Loved the size of this kid and his efforts, has plenty of AFL qualities, I really like the look of this kid.

36 Battle - I was at the wrong end of the ground to see his first few goals. Brute of a man but I would like him to grow a few more inches or move up the ground a lot more and show his ability up the wings. Seems to have a very powerful kicking action and loves to show his strength up forward. I still think the WA backs on the whole beat him or controlled him nicely. Still does not scream top 5 pick for me at the moment. Still hard to show your worth when your midfield is getting destroyed.

Last edited:
Powell-Pepper's disposal and decision-making. Any improvement?

People may have been watching a different game to me, but his disposal and decision making abilities are a major issue. I've not seen a heap of improvement when he plays in the midfield. Lucky for him, he spent more time in the forward half to hide his kicking issues.

OK got held up last night so here are some final thoughts on the players from SA V Allies yesterday...Please note I did not have my Binos with me which was frustrating and a true test of my eyesight when play was on the far side so apologies if some players reviews are harsh...

SA

2 Kym Lebois - Thought he played a good game, both up forward and through the middle at times. Mostly was up forward, always gathered the ball at speed, displayed some great dash at times and had good goal sense. Very small, but has good footy smarts. Keen to see more.

4 Tyson Stengle - From a distance it was hard to tell him apart from Lebois but Stengle is probably stronger overhead and has a more powerful kick and snap even though he is a smaler man. Has some laconic type of traits but displayed glimpses of silk and kicked 3 quality goals and complimented Lebois well up there.

5 Ben Jarman - Quiet early but had a good second half. Tried to take on players a lot and always was running by for the handball receive and tried to create. His kicking wasn't that great but a couple of times he showed some elite decision making and once some lightning fast hands under pressure which stood out. He's small and he's not his Dad but he's alright. Long way to go though and very small.

6 Jake Comitogianni - Good game, moreso the first half, before fading a little but flat out he runs so bloody hard compared to anyone else. Works up and down the ground, runs to space and always makes sure he is involved in the play, both inside and outside footy. Has been in blistering form in the SANFL reserves this year racking up 30 touches regularly. He's a ball magnet and busts his guts. His disposal was a bit off though and he's by no means quick either. Cannot miss him with that massive mop of hair, channeling Nat Fyfe a bit and then some. Least makes him easy to see out there. Plays a similar style to Kyle Presbury from the SA side last year.

7 Alex Villis - Up and down game, good early, then quiet then good again I thought, he repelled many attacks and created play nicely off half back. He's a neat player, tidy disposal and thinks his way through traffic very well. Has a footy brain and a lovely kick of the footy. Bit of class. Could have done more but he was ok, really looking forward to seeing if he can tear one up soon as he's got more talent than most of his teamates.

10 Dakota Nixon - Easy to spot with the man bun like Gibbs, ok game but not up to his Under 18 standard. Looked a bit angry and tried to crunch a few blokes, definitely has a harder edge, used his body well and hit every contest hard.

14 Jake Pitman - Little Luke Power clone. Ran hard all day, 27 touches and plenty of clearances and excellent link play. High in the best for mine, he's got a lot of talent. Huge broad shoulders for a little man, very strong core and keeps his centre of gravity low yet is well balanced, real little nugget. Was equally strong inside as he was outside. Great game.

15 Steve Slimming - Talented, that's the first thing you see but after a great start he seemed to fade a bit. Popped up here and there and was always classy and make the decision needed quickly. Just wanted to see more!

20 Andrew McPherson - Has big numbers in the Under 18's but didn't notice him a great deal out there. When I did, he was pretty good. Needs to do more.

22 Will Hayward - He was fairly involved across half forward and kicked a couple of goals. Backs himself and tried to take many on, sometimes it worked and other times he got caught. Not a bad game.

23 Jonty Scharenberg - The stats say 20 touches but they must have all been on the other side of the ground as I honestly didn't notice him a great deal. He is very inside and guess a lot of it was there. When I did see him, he was fairly solid, though I did note one fairly bad decision where he handballed to a bloke with a man on him. I'm a big fan of Jonty but he's kinda stalled a bit from last year. I want to see him dominate a game like he has done many times last year.

24 Tye Bedford - Played mostly half forward and looked quick and dangerous when he had it. Not huge numbers but he's got something. Need to see more to make an opinion on him.

27 Jackson Lee - Excellent game 23 touches 1 goal, consistently rebounded out of D50 and also sent many into F50. Runs AFL lines and makes decisions at AFL speed and marked strongly overhead. Probably 3rd best on ground for mine behind Graham and Pitman.

29 Corey May - Quiet early but had some really good patches. Pretty strongly bloke, likes to back himself. Skills a mixed bag though.

31 Jack Graham - The captains game. Very vocal, barking instructions all day. Bloke looks about 30. Played like it as well, very strong after a quiet start. 29 touches and 8 clearances and seemed to be involved in every piece of play though the middle, handballs kicks, inside bull work and outside run. Disposal was only average however, he doesn't have a weapon of a leg. His hands are strong but not lightning. Good solid ready made player and leader. He's not a star but he'll play plenty of AFL.

32 Sam Walker - Didn't notice him a great deal, fairly quiet. Couple of ordinary kicks out of defence. Hope to see better next time.

33 Mitchell Hinge - Tried hard but burnt the ball out of D50, especially early. Was under a lot of pressure though as Allies got off to a flier and the ball was coming in a lot and quick.

37 Thomas Schmusch - Quiet early but got into it later on. Not a particularly talented player but after a few turnovers early he was ok and did run up the ground a bit.

38 Darcy Fogarty - Solid game up forward, lead well and marked powerfully overhead and kicked 4 goals to be the most dangerous forward on the ground. He kicked some big bags at Under 16 level last year but hasn't been that great this year. He's only ever going to be a 3rd tall at the highest level if he gets that far. Reminds me very much of Hourigan from years gone by. I expect he'll go the same way.

44 Brennan Cox - Not a lot of it but spoiled very well and took some strong marks in defence around CHB and did the 1%'ers very very well. Good size and moved well.

47 Peter Ladhams - Spent most of the time in the ruck when compared to Sweet and whilst was quiet early, he really seemed to start winning the taps in the second half. Have seen him play better though and would have liked to see him at FF more as he's got great hands. Won his ruck battle on the day with 32 hitouts.

48 Callum Coleman-Jones - Huge kid, well built and a strong overhead mark. Very raw but leads well and I think there is something here from the small glimpse I saw. Provides a chop out in the ruck as well up forward. Kicking let him down though.

50 Jordan Sweet - Biggest man on the ground but didn't get much ruck time which disappointed me. Competed well but did not dominate like he usually does. So pretty quiet overall. I think he's a better 1 on 1 ruck than Ladhams, physically stronger but less individual talent than Ladhams who is going to be a pretty good player.

Allies

1 Mitch Maguire - Ran hard all day, seemed to be always part of the attacking forays and link play going forward. Only small bloke but a classic rover like game. Solid, high in bests.

2 Fletcher Carroll - Quiet early but got right into it after that, has a bit of hardness which was nice and fairly clean.

3 Rohan Armstrong - Like a little Jakey Neade, he was nippy and put on some good defensive pressure at times but otherwise was quiet.

7 Jack Powell - Damn good game, he popped up everywhere and caused a few headaches with his ball carry and ability to hit targets and moving targets especially.

9 Sam Fisher - Barely noticed him out there but probably my fault there

11 Isaac Cumming - Had a crack, got involved in play a fair bit and tried to create and often got caught doing so on the turnover.

12 Jack Rolls - One of the best, was all over the ground with the pill, and a headache for the SA side. All you could hear from his teamates was Rolls Rolls Rolls.

13 Harry Perryman - High in the best, seemed to get better as the game wore on and took a nice mark late with a good goal. Can hold his head high.

14 Kobe Mutch - Not a bad game, puts his body on the line a lot, not afraid of contact and got nailed in one contest which left him winded but kept going on after.

16 Brad Scheer - Talented player, who willed himself to the contest and got a few clearances, hard nose inside and ran well on the outside with clean disposal. Class above his peers and he didn't even dominate.

18 Jack Bowes - Kicked a couple, looked good at times and missing in others. Didn't seem to know what to do once Graham got the better of him who he was on for most of the day. When he had it, he did well, moved smoothly and seemed to have that extra half second to most others. But overall, pretty quiet by his standards.

20 Lachie McKenzie - Not real great but did a few nice things, and got involved in link play.

21 Josh Williams - Thought he was well in the bests, ran super hard, lean/skinny type, always looking to dash and play on, used the corridor really well and marked overhead strongly. Was a handful.

26 Jacob Allison - Not a lot of it but when he had it he was strong and fairly attacking. Big mark and good goal sense.

27 Declan Watson - Had it a few times but didn't notice him very much.

33 Connor Ballenden - Competed well, and took a very strong contested mark but otherwise quiet

34 Max Lynch - Very good effort up against Ladhams and Sweet is no mean feat but held his own early before fading. Got involved a lot around the ground and used his size pretty well. Has talent, one to watch.

35 Tony Olango - Athletic as all buggery, spring heeled and bit like Majak Daw in his style. Sometimes his leap was pretty high and got easy hitouts. Unfortunately he was easily moved by the stronger SA rucks and looked to avoid body contact when he could. But thought he ran off well, some great kicks and marked well. Decent effort.

Zurhaar hasn't played colts for EF for about 6 weeks due to injury, so great first up game for WA v the reigning champs in Vic C. Great win by the WA boys considering their best player wasn't on the park. Reckon once Petrevski-Seton comes back, the likes of Strnadica, Zurhaar etc will kick even a few more goals, though from the sounds of things the delivery by the WA mids to their forwards was pretty good.....most pleasing aspect of this WA win was the all round team performance. Logue has done well for Swan Districts in the WAFL, as has Fisher from Perth, will be interesting to see if WA have a successful carnival a lot of these boys don't get league games for their respective clubs before the year is out.

Jake Comitogianni broke his thumb in the 3rd quarter and that's why he went quite. His disposal needs work but his game sense is second to none.

People may have been watching a different game to me, but his disposal and decision making abilities are a major issue. I've not seen a heap of improvement when he plays in the midfield. Lucky for him, he spent more time in the forward half to hide his kicking issues.

LM I didn't think SPP's kicking was as bad as others have made out. Sure it was far from perfect but yesterday it was ok.

Funny how two observers see things so differently because unlike you I was less than impressed with Narkle's ball use, I thought he placed it on the forwards heads and also missed targets.

Agree with you on keeping an eye on Zurhaar and Fullgrabe from WA also I was I impressed with Jok and Korewha for VC.

I thought Rotham looked really good , moves like an AFL player and his disposal is elite. Not a genuine KPP but someone is going to get an outstandingly skilled and clever player, who I think can actually play further up the ground.

For me Bolton just ozzzess class and will have a good AFL career ahead of him.

LM I didn't think SPP's kicking was as bad as others have made out. Sure it was far from perfect but yesterday it was ok.

Funny how two observers see things so differently because unlike you I was less than impressed with Narkle's ball use, I thought he placed it on the forwards heads and also missed targets.

Agree with you on keeping an eye on Zurhaar and Fullgrabe from WA also I was I impressed with Jok and Korewha for VC.

I thought Rotham looked really good , moves like an AFL player and his disposal is elite. Not a genuine KPP but someone is going to get an outstandingly skilled and clever player, who I think can actually play further up the ground.

For me Bolton just ozzzess class and will have a good AFL career ahead of him.

Narkle started off rusty, but I thought in the second half he really settled down.

Korewha has to get a game purely for the hair do. I had to take my 4 year old to the game and he came out with a ripper.
"Daddy that man is distracting me"

Zurhaar is my smokey pick at the moment could see him being a sneaky second round pick and maybe even moving higher up the ratings.

I think Rotham has a place at AFL level, there are plenty of those Gunston, Darling, Heeney, Stringer... That would be the perfect match up for him at AFL level.

Just got back from the game, it was a good contest.

WA were clearly the best side all day. There was only a 5 minute period at the end of the first quarter where VC got on top. My son wanted me to sit down close, so it was hard to see who kicked all the goals. They were still a product of some silly 50m penalties and turnovers, especially a shocking inside kick from Strnadica.

It was all set up from the WA talls, the rucks, forwards were just too strong for the VC. I thought Goddard, English dominated the ruck contest and gave WA first use of the ball all game.

WA Players

2 Liam Baker - Very smart footballer and was on fire in the last term. Provided great lead up work, moved to the correct places and pressured nicely in the forward line. I think he kicked two goals in the last and set up some play and with 1 minute to go Kirby decided to take him out with a late and high hit. A previous poster thought it was fair, I completely disagree, I was sitting straight behind the hit and it looked terrible to me.

3 Stan Wright - You can get him confused sometimes with Guelfi, but his left boot was long, hard and direct. Had some amazing clearance work and the forwards enjoyed his work. Height is going to be a massive issue for the kid along with plenty of other WA players.

8 Shai Bolton - Close to the most skilled player on the ground, his height and work rate may be the issue. He certainly has plenty of tools, highlights was his goal sense, kicking and agility. Just needs to work on his decision making and work rate and he could make it at AFL level.

9 Matt Guelfi - He really enjoyed the first use of the ball and was one of the most dominate midfielders on the ground. Certainly benefited from WA's ruck dominance.

12 Aidan Clark - Very solid game from this kid and I would not mind getting some more vision of his work, it may improve my thoughts on him.

13 Quinton Narkle - Started off slowly and I was questioning the coaches placing him in center square. Then in the second half he really came on and played a great game. Really great inside work and his kicking was first rate, very good game from Narkle.

22 Cameron Zurhaar - In the first quarter I really liked his game and he stood out for two things. He took a really strong mark and then around 5 minutes later laid an amazing shepherd that cleared plenty of space for his team mate to kick into goal. He even seemed to enjoy the big hit. Kicked a nice goal on a tight angle and thought he looked good, just needs to get some more midfield minutes.

24 Sam Powell-Pepper - Bull of a bloke and goes in hard. Now I personally don't think he will go as high as I've been reading online, just throws it onto his boot without a heap of thought. He really needs to work on his decision making. A few goals were the efforts of his teammates and he was just on the receiving end. Still has plenty of AFL qualities, just really needs to work on his kicking around the ground.

36 - Logue - Maybe not AFL level, but this kid has plenty to work with and I would not mind seeing his development over the next few months.

40 Strnadica - Looked at home up forward, so it could actually see him get drafted and his kicking was fine. Made a big mistake that lead to a VC goal, but he certainly did not let that get him down. Nice kick for goal, considering Waterman could not hit the side of a barn.

44 Brad Fullgrabe Watch this space with this kid, he looked really good. Was nice on the lead and worked hard, I would love to see the back end of this season and see how much improvement we get.

(I did not have a team sheet, so it made it hard)

VC

7 Brodie - He was a player that caught my attention and was moving well around the midfield. Liked his first half and then he dropped away in the second half.

10 Jok - Kicking is an issue, but really ran hard all day and provided outside spread. Got plenty of the ball.

17 McCluggage - I did not massively notice him even if he did get a heap of the ball. The mechanics of his kicking action look really good, he still did some averages kicks during the game. I would have to watch a lot more of him to see if he really belongs at the pointy end of the draft, on first viewing if this guy is in the top 5 then it seems like a weakish draft.

21 Atley - I did not massively notice this kid, then again I was mainly watching the WA players.

22 Berry - Loved the size of this kid and his efforts, has plenty of AFL qualities, I really like the look of this kid.

36 Battle - I was at the wrong end of the ground to see his first few goals. Brute of a man but I would like him to grow a few more inches or move up the ground a lot more and show his ability up the wings. Seems to have a very powerful kicking action and loves to show his strength up forward. I still think the WA backs on the whole beat him or controlled him nicely. Still does not scream top 5 pick for me at the moment. Still hard to show your worth when your midfield is getting destroyed.
Any notes on how Tom Williamson went for VC?

I did not watch the VC guys closely enough and did not have team sheets.

I only started to pay attention to the main draft names that I heard about or people that stood out. He did not stand out to me or show anything to make me take notice. It was also hard with my 4 year old wanting to go home for half the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was ok on the weekend. But more to the point, SPP is actually a very damaging kick, it's not like he's got a high disposal efficiency but he's got a genuinely powerful boot on him and technically he's very sound.

Petrevski-seaton not named

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 8.48.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 8.48.04 PM.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back