List Mgmt. 2016 Draft discussion - PSD & RD Monday, Nov 28 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

more excited by this than the actual draft

Decs!
Pissed about oscar. Should've taken him first!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen a lot of VFL in the last 2 years, but I am a little underwhelmed by the selections of Hannan, Smith & Keilty. I just don't see our list as being at a stage to take this quantity of mature aged recruits, all of whom I can tell play similar roles to one another (I get that Keilty is a bit more of a legitimate KP player).

I would have just been getting more kids through. We have genuine depth now (30-35 players fighting for 22) so I would be getting 18 year olds in and seeing what they're made of. I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if any of this trio, or even say Vandenber, are in our side if we were to play a Grand Final in the next 2-5 years.

Also, out: Michie, M Jones, Newton, even Grimes - that's a lot of midfield/ depth not really covered, with the excpetion of Lewis & possibly McKenna.

Really hoping to be proven wrong.

So proud of the three blokes, you guys got some steals with Bull and Declan as rookies.
Both in a full time role can easily crack your starting 22 over time.

Happy day down at Casey

I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen a lot of VFL in the last 2 years, but I am a little underwhelmed by the selections of Hannan, Smith & Keilty. I just don't see our list as being at a stage to take this quantity of mature aged recruits, all of whom I can tell play similar roles to one another (I get that Keilty is a bit more of a legitimate KP player).

I would have just been getting more kids through. We have genuine depth now (30-35 players fighting for 22) so I would be getting 18 year olds in and seeing what they're made of. I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if any of this trio, or even say Vandenber, are in our side if we were to play a Grand Final in the next 2-5 years.

Also, out: Michie, M Jones, Newton, even Grimes - that's a lot of midfield/ depth not really covered, with the excpetion of Lewis & possibly McKenna.

I think your comments are fair. We seem to have topped up our list with VFL players. I dont see that as improving our list at all. Taylor simply must not have thought there were any gems late in the draft.

Glad we got a ruckman as a rookie, but it seems like we just overloaded on medium sized forwards who will struggle to get a game tbh..

Our first pick was 47. I have no issue with having a crack at a couple of roughies.

Taylor might be a damn good recruiter but you can't expect him to nail a draft with picks 47 and 68.

Even if one player after 48 makes it Taylor breaks even but just don't see the great players among this group. But he did select Hunt, McDonald junior and Vandenberg at this stage recently so can't write it off.

I reckon our picks look good, our list has a hell of a lot of youth, do we really need to take a draft load of 18 year olds each year?

Tim SMITH (Casey Scorpions)
2016 VFL
Totals

• 19 games
  • 31 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 8 times in the best players list
Averages
  • 6.8 kicks
  • 6.4 handballs
  • 13.2 disposals
  • 3.9 marks
  • 4.3 tackles
  • 0.3 hitouts
  • 2.2 inside 50s
  • 0.2 rebound 50s
  • 0.5 frees for
  • 0.8 frees against
  • 70.84 DT points

djD9yXG.png

Keilty replaces Dunn down back I'd think. Unless really needed to try to play as a forward/ruck I'd say he'd be settled in to a key defensive post.

McKenna, Hannan and Smith are similar, but we have been light on for medium forward options and if we carry one extra for a year that's probably not so bad.

I'd say Smith would be set to play inside 50 as a goal kicker and forward pressure player. Hannan seems to have more scope to rotate through a wing spot or even become a full time wingman. McKenna is very much a utility who can play half back, wing or half forward.

Vandenberg is probably now free to play as a midfielder who can rotate forward. He'll be a lot fitter once over his ankle issues and be a pretty handy depth option in that role.

I'd like a couple of quality young midfielders but they are hard to find at our picks. So we take what we can get I guess. Matt Jones was the only one that you named that played significant games in the midfield last year and Lewis replaces him pretty easily. Plus Melksham. ANB, JKH, Vanders, Trenners are all probably outside the best 25 and can provide cover. I don't think we'll be losing games because of lack of depth options for the last few spots in the side. Maybe because the first 18 picked aren't good enough but not because we can't find someone to run a wing or rotate through the middle.

Keilty replaces Dunn down back I'd think. Unless really needed to try to play as a forward/ruck I'd say he'd be settled in to a key defensive post.

McKenna, Hannan and Smith are similar, but we have been light on for medium forward options and if we carry one extra for a year that's probably not so bad.

I'd say Smith would be set to play inside 50 as a goal kicker and forward pressure player. Hannan seems to have more scope to rotate through a wing spot or even become a full time wingman. McKenna is very much a utility who can play half back, wing or half forward.

Vandenberg is probably now free to play as a midfielder who can rotate forward. He'll be a lot fitter once over his ankle issues and be a pretty handy depth option in that role.

I'd like a couple of quality young midfielders but they are hard to find at our picks. So we take what we can get I guess. Matt Jones was the only one that you named that played significant games in the midfield last year and Lewis replaces him pretty easily. Plus Melksham. ANB, JKH, Vanders, Trenners are all probably outside the best 25 and can provide cover. I don't think we'll be losing games because of lack of depth options for the last few spots in the side. Maybe because the first 18 picked aren't good enough but not because we can't find someone to run a wing or rotate through the middle.

Sure, and this is a fair rebuttal and some great points. I guess I just see more upside in drafting a Scharenberg/Brayshaw type for a year and seeing what they're made of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back