List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Which player do you want at our first & second pick?

• Daniel Venables

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Will Hayward

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Sam Powell-Pepper

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Zach Sproule

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Jarrod Berry

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Jordan Galluci

• Oliver Florent

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

• Luke Ryan

• Josh Battle

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Willem Drew

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Jack Maibum

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Atley

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tim English

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Josh Rotham

• Patrick Kerr

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Alex Witherden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brennan Cox

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that Duman would really do well in our system as a defender. Covers the ground really well, is tall (193cm), runs and carries the ball and is very strong overhead. Would need some time to develop his body (unless he does a Macrae/Bontempelli). Would be a good pick up between 30-50 if he is developed right.

Could we trade down our first and do another Collins/Dunkley this year?

I think its something better to discuss after we have traded out a few of our players at the end of the year, might end up with some more picks or upgrades

Speaking of height.
I wouldn't be against Tim English at our first selection. Of course if he was available & noone else like Marshall hadn't ended up at out pick.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/cc5604c9b0b73dc0fb929c9b68651367

cc5604c9b0b73dc0fb929c9b68651367

CALDER Cannons coach Andrew Johnston has conceded the club will need to extend its unbeaten streak to nine TAC Cup matches to snatch a top-four finish.

The Cannons recorded their fifth consecutive win on Saturday against Northern Knights, scraping home thanks to a late goal from Lachlan Bramble.

The Sunbury junior kicked truly to give Calder the lead in the final quarter after the Knights had rallied from 25 points behind at halftime to hit the front.

Calder prevailed 10.7 (67) to 8.14 (62) despite having five less scoring shots than the visitors at Rams Arena.

“I think I said in the box, we can’t do anymore, let’s see how they react,” Johnston said.

“(Bramble) really stepped up in that last couple of minutes and did what we hoped he can do every week.

“He took them on and kicked a goal.”

The Cannons have all but confirmed their finals spot, sitting three games clear of ninth with four rounds remaining.

Calder will draw level on points with fifth-placed North Ballarat if they account for the Rebels on July 24 in a match Johnston believes will be a stern test of his side’s credentials.

But the side is 10 points adrift of fourth-placed Murray Bushrangers after 13 rounds.

“The next four weeks is really going to indicate how much we have improved,” Johnston said.

Midfielder Ben Ronke continued his purple patch in Saturday’s win, named best afield as he prepares to head to VFL side Coburg in coming weeks to showcase his talent to AFL recruiters.

“His workrate was always there but he hadn’t spent a lot of time in the midfield prior to coming to us,” Johnston said of Ronke.

“His attack on the ball was always there ... now he’s starting to read the play a lot better and his clearance work has been sensational.”

Jean-Luc Velissaris, Hayden Blythe and Muhammad Saad were also influential in the five-point triumph.

Johnston said he was pleased with the way his side’s forward line functioned without spearhead Karl Brown.

The key forward made his VFL debut for Coburg on Saturday, finishing with 11 disposals, seven marks and a goal in the Lions’ loss to Sandringham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going back over things I like the look of Griffin Logue from WA. Looks like he would suit our style.

Edit: I'm also curious about Ronke from Calder. Definitely more of a rookie pick but he is very, very quick for an inside mid.

Last edited:
There is not many other posters in the draft thread that believe Sproule will be bid on in the first round, but I think he'd form a terrifying duo with Toyd up forward. They would not be an easy pair to match up on, with Sproule been super tall for a KPP & obviously having a massive tank.

Otherwize...there isnt many other good key forward options in my opinion, Marshall is years away been a twig & likely going higher than our pick anyway & Battle at 192cm is a decent option with only Kerr below him who could still be there in the second round. ( and yes he had a good champs but as I pointed out on a prior page, he didn't have a key defender on him in his best game vs WA)

Speaking of bids, I like the look of Rolls & Mutch a lot. They both seem to have a very good balance between an inside & outside game. Rolls been a better choice due to his athleticism.

Obviously with Simpkin & Witherden both been injured, I can't say too much about them but they have both been discussed as past first round prospects & both are known for having a good kick.

Of course I am only talking about our first round selection & I still have the hope we can find some more picks earlier in this draft or at at least cover some holes via trading so we have more flexibility at the draft.

Okay I have the stats up later in the week.

Just a few which stood out:

Brodie Romensky - A goal and 36 touches to go with 7 tackles in a team that went down by 90 points. He also displayed his vertical jumping abilities with 5 hit outs.

Dylan Clarke - also had 36 touches and 7 touches in the winning team

Sam Fowler - 3 of his 4 goals came in the last quarter when the Dandenong Stingrays came from 7 goals down to win in one of the best comebacks in recent memory. He finished 12 disposals and 3 tackles to go with his goals.

Taylin Duman - had 15 disposals all of which where kicks to create really good drive for the Chargers.

Sam McLarty - Kept highly rated forward Joshua Battle to a single mark and only 9 disposals.

Jack Scrimshaw - had 27 touches in the midfield for Sandringham in a game where the big Sandy guns stood out with Brayshaw, Taranto, Lyons and Florent all getting more than 20 touches.

Charles Roberts - my 19yo ruck Smokey from the Knights continued his good form with 17 touches and 22 hitouts in a close loss to the Cannons. Both my other smokies inside midfielder Matthew Signorello and small defender Lachlan Murphy had 27 touches and a goal.

Okay I have the stats up later in the week.

Just a few which stood out:

Brodie Romensky - A goal and 36 touches to go with 7 tackles in a team that went down by 90 points. He also displayed his vertical jumping abilities with 5 hit outs.

Dylan Clarke - also had 36 touches and 7 touches in the winning team

Sam Fowler - 3 of his 4 goals came in the last quarter when the Dandenong Stingrays came from 7 goals down to win in one of the best comebacks in recent memory. He finished 12 disposals and 3 tackles to go with his goals.

Taylin Duman - had 15 disposals all of which where kicks to create really good drive for the Chargers.

Sam McLarty - Kept highly rated forward Joshua Battle to a single mark and only 9 disposals.

Jack Scrimshaw - had 27 touches in the midfield for Sandringham in a game where the big Sandy guns stood out with Brayshaw, Taranto, Lyons and Florent all getting more than 20 touches.

Charles Roberts - my 19yo ruck Smokey from the Knights continued his good form with 17 touches and 22 hitouts in a close loss to the Cannons. Both my other smokies inside midfielder Matthew Signorello and small defender Lachlan Murphy had 27 touches and a goal.

Adding to the Romensky game he also had 24 contested possessions and 12 clearances. Playing as an onballer.

Good size at 189cm and 88kg.

Has to be leading the Jets B&F at the moment.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-15/matureage-talent-on-show-around-the-state-leagues

MARCUS Adams, Sam Collins, Nathan Broad and Mitch Brown are just four of the mature-age players drafted last year to have featured at AFL level so far this season.

Clubs are always on the lookout for experience and senior bodies to complement their under-18 draftees, so here are 22 names from state league competitions around the country who might have caught the eye.

NEAFL

Jordan Harper
Club: Canberra
Height/weight: 180cm/77kg
DOB: 3/9/93

Harper is an experienced midfielder who moved from the wing into an inside role and has flourished. He can find the ball at will and uses his excellent endurance to get from contest to contest. Harper made the NEAFL representative side last year and has continued his form through 2016.

James Ives
Aspley
178cm/74kg
22/3/94

Injuries have limited Ives in recent seasons, with a knee reconstruction and shoulder problem keeping him out of the game for extended periods. But the clearance-winning midfielder has enjoyed a better run this season for Aspley. He's held leadership roles throughout his junior career and his father Peter is a member of AFL Queensland's Hall of Fame.

Peter Yagmoor
Redland
182cm/89kg
20/10/93

Yagmoor was cut by Collingwood at the end of 2014 after three seasons and two senior games and returned to the NEAFL for the 2015 season. His left-foot kicking from half-back helps set up the play and he can be used against forwards of all different shapes and sizes.

Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds
Redland
186cm/83kg
2/5/95

Bertoli-Simmonds presents as a nice size for a club looking for a midfielder who can rack up possessions. He has shifted from a half-back/wing role into the midfield, and shown his ability to get the ball at a stoppage but also on the outside and offer some run.

SANFL

Jack Agostino

West Adelaide
182cm/77kg
11/6/97

Agostino attended South Australia's state draft combine last year but did not win a chance on an AFL list. The small defender has a healthy competitive streak and is known for his leadership and ability to stick to his task. Last year Agostino took on 2016 draft prospect Ben Ainsworth at the under-18 championships and got the honours in his battle with the likely early draft choice.

Brett Eddy

South Adelaide
194cm/89kg
26/8/89

Eddy won an invitation to last year's national draft combine and showed his classy ball use with top-10 finishes in the kicking and clean hands test. The powerful tall forward uses his strength and size to outbody and outmaneuver opponents, and has booted 43 goals in 13 games for South Adelaide this year. He is an excellent set shot for goal.

Nick Hayes
Woodville-West Torrens
188cm/82kg
11/8/94

The former Brisbane Lions rookie might have given himself another shot at an AFL career with a consistent season for Woodville-West Torrens. Smart and courageous, Hayes can play in the forward line and defence but has grown into his role as a big midfielder with clean skills.

Willie Rioli
Glenelg
175cm/80kg
4/6/95

Has some strong football bloodlines as the cousin of Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli. After not getting drafted a couple of years ago, Rioli has worked hard on his fitness and conditioning to put his name in the mix. Rioli has kicked 17 goals in 10 games at SANFL level and played well in the state game recently with many club scouts in attendance.

Kaine Stevens
West Adelaide
184cm/83kg

Stevens is a strong inside midfielder who competes well for the ball and has continued to add elements to his game. He grew up in Canberra before heading to West Adelaide, where he was a strong contributor in its 2015 premiership win. He has garnered AFL interest before and continues to improve.

VFL
Kade Answerth

Sandringham
183cm/82kg
3/10/96

As a top-age player, Answerth won the TAC Cup medal for best afield in the Oakleigh Chargers' premiership last season, racking up 30 disposals, 10 clearances and six tackles. The midfielder is averaging 18 disposals per game at VFL level this season and coach Paul Hudson is a big admirer. Leads the Zebras in tackles and wins the ball in tight.

Robbie Fox
Coburg
187cm/87kg
16/4/93

In his second year at the Lions, Fox has upped his game considerably. Originally from Burnie in Tasmania, the midfielder has built on a strong pre-season to be a consistent performer for Coburg. Averaging 22 disposals per game and took an absolute hanger, which would feature on any highlights reel, against North Ballarat at the start of the season.

Michael Gibbons
Williamstown
174cm/70kg
15/5/95

Gibbons leads the VFL for disposals, averaging more than 30 disposals per game. Won 34 disposals to be adjudged the VFL's best player and was awarded with the Frank Johnson medal in the state game against South Australia. The ball-magnet also won the Norm Goss medal in Williamstown's Grand Final victory last season to underline his consistency and high-level play.

Hisham Kerbatieh
Northern Blues
177cm/88kg
16/5/97

An exciting goal sneak who joined the Northern Blues from the Calder Cannons at the start of the season. Kerbatieh has spent more time in the midfield for the Blues this year, averaging 20 disposals and he has also kicked 11 goals from 12 games. He has the ability to do some very special things and was unlucky not be drafted last season.

Sam McLachlan
Geelong
187cm/84kg
22/9/95

The tall midfielder won North Warrnambool's best and fairest last year as a 19-year-old in the Hampden League, earning him a call up to Geelong's VFL team. McLachlan is athletic, he's clean in congestion, he makes good decisions with the football and he's kicked seven goals from 10 matches this season. A raw prospect, he's also shown intent to hunt the opposition, averaging 4.4 tackles per game.

Luke Ryan
Coburg
185cm/82kg
6/2/96

The defender began the year in the VFL's Development League but soon forced his way into coach Peter German's team on the back of some irrepressible performances. He is excellent at reading the play and setting up attack from defence. Missed three games with an ankle injury but is still averaging 20.5 disposals in his first season at VFL level and has hit a real purple patch of late.

Will Sexton
Geelong
175cm/75kg
15/5/97

Unlucky not be drafted last season after finishing as runner-up in the Geelong Falcons' best and fairest award, Sexton has really come on in his first season at VFL level. He uses the ball well across half-back and has shown improved defensive application to beat his direct opponent in one-on-one contests. Not afraid to put his body on the line when required.

Tom Stewart
Geelong
190cm/90kg
15/3/93

Was mentored by Matthew Scarlett at South Barwon in the Geelong Football League and has stepped up in his own right at the next level. The defender is strong in one-on-one contests, he's quick off the mark and generally reads the flight of the ball better than his opponent. Likes to take the game and is a good user of the ball, particularly by foot.

WAFL

Darcy Cameron
Claremont
204cm/104kg
18/7/95

Cameron was overlooked at the 2013 NAB AFL Draft with a query on his pace and his consistency in competing. But he's improved those aspects of his game and presents as a mature-age tall who is able to play in the ruck and in attack. Cameron has enjoyed a solid season at WAFL level for Claremont.

Tyler Keitel
West Perth
194cm/91kg
7/2/96

The 20-year-old didn't get picked in the draft two years ago but has returned to the WAFL and improved his game. Keitel has settled in a defensive role, and has become a reliable intercept marker, averaging five marks a game. He's not a super runner but has also been used as a part-time ruckman at different stages.

Liam Ryan
Subiaco
184cm/76kg
2/10/96

Ryan is an Indigenous prospect from Geraldton who is super talented and regularly produces eye-catching moments. Ryan plays as a half-forward but is aerially very strong for a player his size, and he likes to fly for marks. But he's also zippy and creative at ground level, where he makes the most of his chances.

Mason Shaw
South Fremantle
197cm/94kg
15/1/94

Shaw was a top-30 draft choice in 2012, but after three years at Port Adelaide he was delisted at the end of last season. He struggled with injury during his time at the Power and took a little bit of time to get going once back in Western Australia, but has kicked 31 goals in 14 WAFL games. In a draft skinny on talls, he might attract interest.

Francis Watson
Claremont
186cm/79kg
29/9/95

Watson has been on the scene for the past couple of years, and was a little unlucky not to be selected at the 2014 draft. Last year, as a rangey and plucky third tall defender, he showed more consistency and balance in his game, but then suffered a broken leg. He showed his ability in the air with 12 marks and 19 disposals for Claremont in round 13.

I didn't even know Port delisted Mason Shaw
He was good in his second last year at the Championship & a bit quiet in his last year
I believe he originally came from a soccer background playing as a goalkeeper

Liam Ryan sounds like a good fit for the Dogs. Where is he projecting to go?

Back