List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Which player do you want at our first & second pick?

• Daniel Venables

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Will Hayward

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Sam Powell-Pepper

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Zach Sproule

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Jarrod Berry

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Jordan Galluci

• Oliver Florent

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

• Luke Ryan

• Josh Battle

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Willem Drew

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Jack Maibum

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Atley

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tim English

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Josh Rotham

• Patrick Kerr

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Alex Witherden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brennan Cox

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought that I would do some analysis on our first rounder by position starting with the tall forwards. I'll leave academy players out.

Todd Marshall (197cm, 87kg)

Pros -
Elite agility for his size and is very mobile - Very good at ground level for his height - Capable of kicking goals from contested marking and ground level - very good set shot - Very high scope.

Cons -
Very raw and will take some time to develop his game - Probably unavailable at our selection.

Thoughts - If Marshall fell to our pick it would be a no brainer. He has shown some very good glimpses of just what he can do and at his height he is going to be a very difficult match up.

Joshua Battle (192cm, 90kg)

Pros -
Elite endurance even better than most mids - is generally a good kick for goal - Would fit into a fast flowing game style and complement Boyd

Cons -
Is rather weak in his one on ones - lacks contested marking ability - Has yet to show the versatility to play midfield - is rather undersized for a modern KPF and is more of a third tall.

Thoughts -
Got to admit that I was on the Battle Bandwagon for most of this year but he has me worried in some key areas, one being his 1v1 ability as I feel as though he has some weakness in that area. Interested to see how he can go later into this year and if he can show improvement in his weaker areas.

Patrick Kerr (194m, 93kg)

Pros -
very strong in Contested Marking and 1v1's - One Touch ability - Field Kicking - Smarts - Leading Patterns - Comes from very good footy blood lines

Cons -
Generally plays within the F50 - Can do a bit of the Jake Stringer set shot (Miss from 30 meters directly in front but kick one from 45 tight in on the boundary) - Lateral movements a work in process

Thoughts -
He is really starting to come on strongly this last month or so Kerr. He has started showing improvement in places that where he was weak in and his has really played to his strengths, I'm actually seeing a fair bit in Kerr that is really interesting me given our lack of marking targets in our current forward line and I don't think he would take as long as the other two to play AFL footy.

___________________________________________________________________________________

At the moment I'm finding it difficult to separate Battle and Kerr into that No.2 spot. Both have abilities that would be very handy for us. Reckon that it is going to come down to the few weeks before the draft to make up my mind on that matter.

Thought that I would do some analysis on our first rounder by position starting with the tall forwards. I'll leave academy players out.

Pros -
Elite agility for his size and is very mobile - Very good at ground level for his height - Capable of kicking goals from contested marking and ground level - very good set shot - Very high scope.

Cons -
Very raw and will take some time to develop his game - Probably unavailable at our selection.

Thoughts - If Marshall fell to our pick it would be a no brainer. He has shown some very good glimpses of just what he can do and at his height he is going to be a very difficult match up.

Pros -
Elite endurance even better than most mids - is generally a good kick for goal - Would fit into a fast flowing game style and complement Boyd

Cons -
Is rather weak in his one on ones - lacks contested marking ability - Has yet to show the versatility to play midfield - is rather undersized for a modern KPF and is more of a third tall.

Thoughts -
Got to admit that I was on the Battle Bandwagon for most of this year but he has me worried in some key areas, one being his 1v1 ability as I feel as though he has some weakness in that area. Interested to see how he can go later into this year and if he can show improvement in his weaker areas.

Pros -
very strong in Contested Marking and 1v1's - One Touch ability - Field Kicking - Smarts - Leading Patterns - Comes from very good footy blood lines

Cons -
Generally plays within the F50 - Can do a bit of the Jake Stringer set shot (Miss from 30 meters directly in front but kick one from 45 tight in on the boundary) - Lateral movements a work in process

Thoughts -
He is really starting to come on strongly this last month or so Kerr. He has started showing improvement in places that where he was weak in and his has really played to his strengths, I'm actually seeing a fair bit in Kerr that is really interesting me given our lack of marking targets in our current forward line and I don't think he would take as long as the other two to play AFL footy.

___________________________________________________________________________________

At the moment I'm finding it difficult to separate Battle and Kerr into that No.2 spot. Both have abilities that would be very handy for us. Reckon that it is going to come down to the few weeks before the draft to make up my mind on that matter.

Thanks.

Kerr sounds good. What draft pick range is he likely to go at? What's his age relative to the rest of the draft?

Pros -

Cons -

Pros -

Cons -

Thoughts -

Pros -

Cons -

Thoughts -

I've read in a couple of places that Battles contested marking ability is very good.

I like Kerr though. Certainly should be available and I think that perfect size (around 195cm).

I've read in a couple of places that Battles contested marking ability is very good.

I like Kerr though. Certainly should be available and I think that perfect size (around 195cm).

I am yet to be sold. He gets a lot of his marks from making multiple leads and breaking away from his opponent and marking unopposed by wearing them down with his endurance. His 1v1 ability and contested marking is average from what I've seen of him. He is somewhat similiar to Crameri in many ways.

I am yet to be sold. He gets a lot of his marks from making multiple leads and breaking away from his opponent and marking unopposed by wearing them down with his endurance. His 1v1 ability and contested marking is average from what I've seen of him. He is somewhat similiar to Crameri in many ways.

Who's he? Battle or Kerr?

TBH that doesn't sound so bad in our system - we need an endurance beast to play the higher forward / link marking player role.

Ah, thanks. What do you think of Kerr?
He could be the best forward in this draft but not neccesarily the best player, he hasn't shown any versatility at all & some have suggested that he isn't clean below his knees but he proved that wrong during the championship.

I'd go Marshall, Sproule, Kerr & then Battle. With Sproule been a GWS academy player & he has a massive tank to. Sproule and Marshall from what I saw looked more comfortable been outside 50 with Battle & Kerr looking far more natural up forward.

I must have caught Battle during his more ordinary games because he didn't overly impress me. His defender when moving from TAC to AFL won't fall for him slipping out the back by ball watching & your Easton Wood/Dane Rampe etc players are going to be clogging the spaces he'll be leading into.
He really needs to prove he can be a handy player outside of the attacking 50, because with that endurance it shouldn't be lack of fitness that's stopping him (maybe its a game plan, I don't know?).

Also, just on all of the key forwards in this draft; there really isn't a stand out key defender that any of the forwards(mentioned above) played on. So that is something worth keeping in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH that doesn't sound so bad in our system - we need an endurance beast to play the higher forward / link marking player role.
I didn't say that he wouldn't fit into our system. I'd nominate Sproule before taking Battle if we went down that field of thought though, much better in that role.

We also lack another genuine contested marking KPF who can clunk marks I50. This is where Pat Kerr comes into play. He is more of a aerial threat than just about any other KPF in this draft.

With Goetz gone looks like we'll probably be looking for another developing ruckman. I'll put up a list of pros and cons + draft ranges later of some junior rucks.

Here is the list without many of the details.

TAC Cup

Lloyd Meek (North Ballarat Rebels)
Sean Darcy (Geelong Falcons)
Charles Roberts (Northern Knights)
Lachlan Filipovic (Sandringham Dragons)
Brock McGregor (Western Jets)

South Australia

Jordan Sweet (North Adelaide)
Peter Ladhams (Norwood)

Northern Territory

Tony Olango (St Mary's)

Western Australia

Tim English (South Fremantle)
Jeremy Goddard (Claremont)

Last edited:
I reckon the best long term option for us would to rookie Tony Olango. Has some serious raw ability.

Also Peter Ladhams if he dropped to the rookie draft.
Good to see Olango playing a bit of senior footy for the Thunder, did a couple of exciting things when I watched them a week or two ago.

I reckon the best long term option for us would to rookie Tony Olango. Has some serious raw ability.

Also Peter Ladhams if he dropped to the rookie draft.
You are probably right. As much as I love Tim English, Olango would be better value as a rookie.
IF we don't bring in Mason Wood, then Kerr would be a great first round pick.
Liam Ryan and E Frank are the other late round picks I hope we take. In fact, Ryan, Frank & Olango wouldn't be a terrible draft haul if we don't have any early picks.

If we do lose our first round selection, having another second round pick could be very handy.

Maybe we could get an extra tall like Kerr, add outside pace with a player like Bolton, maybe we add a clever small forward like Simpkin or LeBois or another player that slides because
of a serious leg injury in Witherden who is a big bodied attacking half back.

Just a thought because it gives us more flexibility then we would have with mostly late picks.

If we do lose our first round selection, having another second round pick could be very handy.

Maybe we could get an extra tall like Kerr, add outside pace with a player like Bolton, maybe we add a clever small forward like Simpkin or LeBois or another player that slides because
of a serious leg injury in Witherden who is a big bodied attacking half back.

Just a thought because it gives us more flexibility then we would have with mostly late picks.
A lot of talk about us doing some sort of trading with Gold Coast this offseason, hopefully that could end up with us nabbing one of their many second rounders. Would be pretty happy with that turning into any of the players you mentioned.

You are probably right. As much as I love Tim English, Olango would be better value as a rookie.
IF we don't bring in Mason Wood, then Kerr would be a great first round pick.
Liam Ryan and E Frank are the other late round picks I hope we take. In fact, Ryan, Frank & Olango wouldn't be a terrible draft haul if we don't have any early picks.
Have we been linked to Wood at all? He'd fit in well with our fwd line I reckon. English and Ladhams are good options for us if we were in their range and if we get a chance to bid on Sproule I would do it in a heartbeat. Looking forward to what Dal's got this year, last year nabbing Dunkley at 25 was a bit of a heist and at the time no one regarded that pick as the best. In hindsight it was a great pick.

Have we been linked to Wood at all? He'd fit in well with our fwd line I reckon. English and Ladhams are good options for us if we were in their range and if we get a chance to bid on Sproule I would do it in a heartbeat. Looking forward to what Dal's got this year, last year nabbing Dunkley at 25 was a bit of a heist and at the time no one regarded that pick as the best. In hindsight it was a great pick.

If we did lose our first in a trade then the player who would most likely to be a steal around our second would probably be Fisher dropping through because of his size. Seriously has been going really well since the start of the year, started off not just playing WAFL seniors but impacting them and then he was probably WA's best player in the champs.

Also keeping an eye on the other ruckmen who are effective forwards.

Last edited:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31461581/fishers-future-looks-bright/

At Lathlain Park Zac Fisher is better known as “The Future”.

It started as an off-the-cuff remark by Perth teammate Callum Walley, but considering what lies ahead for the 17-year-old midfielder, it’s probably not far wide of the mark.

Fisher has been a revelation for the Demons this season. Despite standing at just 175cm tall, the York product has outshone far bigger opponents with his pace, ball use and energy around the contest.

Five years ago, a player of his size would have battled to get the attention of AFL recruiters, who were all chasing big-bodied brutes they could run through the middle of the ground. But the evolution of the game has changed the playbook. If you can run and you can kick, you’re as good a chance as any of having an impact at elite level.

Fisher’s 23-disposal, two-goal debut against West Perth announced his arrival as a player worth considering by AFL clubs and went a long way towards his selection in the WA squad for this year’s national under-18 championships.

Fisher said the emergence of players like 168cm Western Bulldogs midfielder Caleb Daniel, who earned last week’s rising star nomination, gave him faith that if he continued performing his size would be no barrier.

“Looking at a person like Caleb Daniel, he holds his own in the AFL and is having a really good season,” Fisher said.

“It does give me a bit of hope. My goal at the start of the year was just to make 18s and it was a pretty far-fetched goal. I wasn’t even thinking about getting picked up or anything like that. Now I’m definitely thinking about it but I kind of don’t want to get ahead of myself.”

WA’s 40-player squad for this year’s carnival is the strongest in years, with Fisher, fellow small midfielder Sam Petrevski-Seton, tall defender Josh Rotham and West Coast father-son option Jake Waterman some of the biggest names.

WAFC State talent manager Adam Jones said it took only one game for selectors to realise they had found a player worth pursuing in Fisher.

“He really came on the scene in our talent day game in February and it was his ability to extract the ball from stoppages and break away from the contest at pace,” Jones said.

“His use by foot and awareness in traffic with clean hands are all at the top-end level. He’s got a lot of tools in his kit.”

As for his nickname? “It’s shocking. I don’t know how it stuck,” Fisher said. “I just have to smile at it.”

If he dropped through to our second if we traded away our first pick I'd seriously laugh

A lot of talk about us doing some sort of trading with Gold Coast this offseason, hopefully that could end up with us nabbing one of their many second rounders. Would be pretty happy with that turning into any of the players you mentioned.
I'm not sure GC are going to be too keen on getting rid of their prized second rounders for their academy players.

Back