Autopsy 2016 National Draft (NM Picks: 11; 32; 33; 80)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why everyone on this page is so damn pessimistic. Simpkin will be a star- I was hoping Sydney would pass on him because there were question marks over Florent that high. He'll also become a mid in time. Williams also looks like a superb choice and gives us what fanboys have been crying out for each off-season for the past few years- speed and x-factor. Watson addresses an obvious KPD need while Larkey is a bit of a wildcard.

jHMAOye.gif

Last edited:

I'm very happy with our selections. A few left field however prefer this than our regular predictable safe selections.
Have addressed X factor and pace issues with Simpkin and Williams. The future certainly looks bright.
Bring on 2017, we will surprise many!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending which opinion here you read this is a shocker of a draft or an absolute ripper. They all look very capable kids and the real results will be clear in about three years. Good luck to all the new kids.

Depending which opinion here you read this is a shocker of a draft or an absolute ripper. They all look very capable kids and the real results will be clear in about three years. Good luck to all the new kids.
Some of us didn't like the ben brown selection in 2013.. Look how that's turned out.

Frankly I have no idea if we did good, bad or ugly in the draft (all will be revealed in hindsight).
All I can hope is that if a guy gets drafted he actually gets a game before he hits 22yrs of age and doesn't get preseason injuries that rule him out for "2 weeks".

I feel like I'm entering the twilight zone with you being the shining light in regards to positivity.

Devastated we missed Fisher and Begby.

Simpkin was my first choice and very happy we got him, but buyers remorse on Watson and don't give a Farkey.

*ing Essendon. We were so close to snapping Begley. He's the sort of player that will dominate on an Anzac day and we will have to hear sound bites of his best afield performance for years to come as well. *ing Essendon. Cheating scum.

*ing Essendon. We were so close to snapping Begley. He's the sort of player that will dominate on an Anzac day and we will have to hear sound bites of his best afield performance for years to come as well. *ing Essendon. Cheating scum.
Yep - missed by one pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the general mix. HF/Mid with class adds to the list, a pure wingman we do not have while we need to bolster KPD stocks. Throw in Ahern and Hrovat with Mountford, Clarke, EVW, Hibbard and Wagner, I think we have enough to work with. I think a KP forward will be our number 1 next year.

No, his delisting was justified because he was done.

His replacement wasn't drafted this season, they were already on the list.
I like this post a lot!!!!

Someone else posted earlier that winning our first nine games basically inflated the realities of where our list truly was. That's debatable as we were only two quarters away from a grand final the year before however my thoughts are starting to lean that way. Our coaching staff probably needed to play youth, youth, youth. This will show us either way who we have on our list, whether we do have future stars and leaders or that they're not yet at the club. I kind of feel that if our coaching staff HAD played the youth earlier in the season we may not have finished as high on the ladder, we would have gotten important games into potential future leaders of the club AND as a fallout we might have gotten a higher draft pick.

Anyway that's all ifs and buts. My own feelings on our selections is that I'm very happy with Simpkin and Williams. The other two let's see. In honesty I was initially disappointed that Sydney came in and pulled Florent out from us at the last possible moment (memories of Geelong and Cockatoo the year before) however the more I see and read about Simpkin the more excited I am.

I love this club.

Last edited:
Happy with the general mix. HF/Mid with class adds to the list, a pure wingman we do not have while we need to bolster KPD stocks. Throw in Ahern and Hrovat with Mountford, Clarke, EVW, Hibbard and Wagner, I think we have enough to work with. I think a KP forward will be our number 1 next year.

Yeah, not to mention if McKay was born 2 days or something later, he would have been pick 1 or 2 this year.

As far as I'm concerned, we are the moral winners of the off-season.

We got 3 top 7 draft picks for a pick 11 and a free a club tracksuit.

Pick 1-2 - B.McKay (had he born a week later)

Pick 3-5 Simpkin had he not broken his leg.

Pick 7 Ahern

Chuck in Hrovat, Garner, Wood & Durdin and we basically are inserting more talent into our squad/team than anyone.

Last edited:
Yeah, not to mention if McKay was born 2 days or something later, he would have been pick 1 or 2 this year.

Pick 7 Ahern

Chuck in Hrovat, Garner, Wood & Durdin and we basically are inserting more talent into our squad/team than anyone.

Arjen being positive makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (or he could be just taking the piss or his account could have been hacked by a Clinton social justice warrior) whatever has happened I like it :)

Pick 7 Ahern

I honestly hope we get minutes into McKay. Plonk him up front with Brown and Wood.

Daw is a waste for someone with so much upside athletically. No football brain and easily nudged around despite his side. Plus leading straight into other forwards space send me crazy.

I have to be honest, was excited going into tonight. Didn't go the way I thought it would. IMO there were some better players available at our 2nd rd picks.

Simpkin will be developed as a mid, but would of though with at least 2 of the next 3 we would of went for pure mids. Not to be, we've got who we've got let's just all hope everyone of them become stars now.
Instead of "developing" a mid how about we just get a *****n pure mid like you said??!! Our development has not and does not fill me with any confidence that we can successfully carry out the conversion process. Sick of us ******g around with players and creating multiple axis's of ordinary. Just get a player that plays a position well and friggin' play him there. Pure. Mid. Fielders.

Instead of "developing" a mid how about we just get a *****n pure mid like you said??!! Our development has not and does not fill me with any confidence that we can successfully carry out the conversion process. Sick of us ******g around with players and creating multiple axis's of ordinary. Just get a player that plays a position well and friggin' play him there. Pure. Mid. Fielders.
Clarke? Dumont?

Sure, maybe not at the level we'd ideally like, but with what picks could we have hoped to secure dead cert. quality mids?

Clarke? Dumont?

Sure, maybe not at the level we'd ideally like, but with what picks could we have hoped to secure dead cert. quality mids?

Need more. Yeah, we have a couple. Obviously, hands are tied a bit with quality as to when our picks fall but a pure mid is a pure mid and not a KPD, a project player or a converted small forward.

I'll quote Pykie here.

We've taken 2 mids in the main draft in 3 years by my count (Clarke and Mountford) out of 13 picks.

I think we all agree we need to do something about our midfield. Need to get midfielders to try to do something about it.

Need more. Yeah, we have a couple. Obviously, hands are tied a bit with quality as to when our picks fall but a pure mid is a pure mid and not a KPD, a project player or a converted small forward.

I'll quote Pykie here.

I think we all agree we need to do something about our midfield. Need to get midfielders to try to do something about it.

Go and check out RobZombie's post in the Draft Analysis thread. Really interesting and eye opening reading as far as our needs go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back