List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA period is underway! The official thread (Check OP for official updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quoting Scorpus I have deleted players who weren't elite or a level below.
  • Patrick Dangerfield
  • Dayne Beams

• Shaun Burgoyne
  • Chris Judd

• Lance Franklin
Level below:
  • Ryan Griffen

• Paddy Ryder

• Brian Lake
  • Kurt Tippett
  • Josh Gibson
  • Eddie Betts

• Brett Deledio
Also worth mentioning:
  • Lachie Henderson

• Bernie Vince
  • Josh Caddy
  • Brad Ebert

• Barry Hall
  • Brendan Fevola
  • Dale Thomas
  • Jordan Lewis
  • James Frawley
  • Nick Dal Santo

Quoting Scorpus I have deleted players who weren't elite or a level below.
  • Patrick Dangerfield
  • Dayne Beams

• Shaun Burgoyne
  • Chris Judd

• Lance Franklin
Level below:
  • Ryan Griffen

• Paddy Ryder

• Brian Lake
  • Kurt Tippett
  • Josh Gibson
  • Eddie Betts

• Brett Deledio
Also worth mentioning:
  • Lachie Henderson

• Bernie Vince
  • Josh Caddy
  • Brad Ebert

• Barry Hall
  • Brendan Fevola
  • Dale Thomas
  • Jordan Lewis
  • James Frawley
  • Nick Dal Santo

I reckon Adam Treloar was definitely elite while traded

What about over the last 10 years. I want to see if there is any pattern there.

People are calling for us to add elite talent. I'm looking for who are the elite players moving? where do they go? do they help? Does nabbing a star in their prime really happen?

Two of the players you'd named as elite from this year are very much at the end of their careers. One will be 34 for the season, the other will turn 30 at the start of it. The other has missed two years in a row with injury and is really back to being an unknown quantity.

It would be interesting to compare with other elite players over several years.

I think of more interest would be how many players considered elite at each club were drafted in the first round (or top 10). If most are midfielders then looks like our lack of top 10 draft picks on the list is not going to be easily fixed. As someone said above, much easier to trade in players to fill support roles than a primary one. We could very well be in the reverse situation to when we had Roo, McLeod etc in the midfield, ie elite forward line/defence but crap midfield so never get to capitalise with a premiership.

We really really need to get games into Menzel, Milera, Wigg, CEY, Knight etc to see if they can develop into dangerous consistent players, because on current exposed form of our regular midfield we are stuffed imo. Hopefully Brad Crouch can continue how he was trending before his foot injury, would help a lot!

Judd, Ablett, Dangerfield - do they all qualify under your 10 year restriction? Not sure if Betts, Stevie J and Ward fit your elite category (they do mine).
Judd Ablett and Dangerfield obviously do. I'm not sure the others would be elite tbh.

Stevie J I would categorise like Sam Mitchell and Lewis with the move right at the end of the career. Still very handy players, but I think their peak performance still colours their rating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to see here says VFL I'LL bet...

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...of-confusion-around-tyrone-vickerys-contract/

Damian Barrett
has said there is a lot of "controversy" around the status of Tyrone Vickery's contract.

Vickery crossed from Richmond to Hawthorn as a free agent early last week on what reported as a two-year-deal.

But Barrett, speaking on The Weekend Breakfast with Seb Costello, suggests there's more to it.

"Even the dealing, Seb, around getting Tyrone Vickery in as a free agent - there was controversy around that," he said.

"The clubs aren't buying the release that he had a two-year contract from Hawthorn: they believe it's a three-year contract on less money than the half a million dollars it will be under a two-year deal.

"What it did by making it two years was allow him to pass as a Richmond player into a Hawthorn club...that allowed Richmond to get a second-round compensation."

He suggested a two-year deal is a "win-win" for the two clubs, in that Richmond get better compensation than a three-year deal would net them.

"In offering a two-year deal at, say, $500,000 for each of those two years; it's a million dollar offer which Richmond wasn't going to match," he said.

"Had it been the three years, which the other clubs believe it to be, of $400,000 times three - so $1.2 million over three years - Richmond almost certainly would have matched it, and Vickery wouldn't have got the easy and the smooth transition from Richmond to Hawthorn.

"Also, in believing or accepting it's a two-year deal, they do then get the second-round compensation. So it's win-win.

"I'll be really keen to see what happens to Tyrone Vickery at the end of 2018, because there's basically 16 other footy clubs that believe it's a three-year deal."

Barrett says Hawthorn may have trippe over their own feet in announcing it.

"T he Hawks put out a press release saying it was a three-year deal, and within 30 seconds of putting that out and that being reported, they were retracting their own press statement," he said.

He suggests the AFL has looked into it.

"That was being investigated by the AFL late in the week, and (we're) yet to see an answer on that."

It's a really good point you make. There aren't many examples of clubs bringing in elite talent that carries them to a flag. There are, however, examples of clubs bringing in role players that have kept them contending. Hawks a classic example.

Generally speaking, clubs who have won the flag have a list that has, at its core, a group of players that have landed in 2 or 3 drafts, stayed together, and developed as or higher than expected. Further, just about every premiership team in the last 10 years has benefitted from a quirk in the system. Father/son, COLA, concessions, bottoming out.

The next era is going to be dominated by GWS, the Bulldogs and GCS if they can get their s**t together. Watch Freo bounce next year and the following, after going from first to last (why no tanking investigation?).

This is why I believe that those who think trades are better than drafts are silly. The evidence suggests otherwise. It's why I supported holding our picks and am pissed about us not improving our position by trading players for picks. Losing Danger killed us, because we would be able to trade for role players now, rather than still needing to complete our engine room.

If we want to contend, we have 2 options. Stay competitive and aggressively manage our list to bring in top 10 picks, or bottom out to regenerate. Bringing in Gibbs wouldn't have got us a flag, and I'd argue even Gibbs and Rockliff would have been 50/50.

Trading is just as important as drafting. I am ignoring GWS because they are a beast created by the league to promote the game in a traditional rugby/soccer region. What better way to do that than create a dominant team that wind multiple flags and dominates the competition. We can't compare ourselves to them because we will never get the same concessions as they did.

But let's look at Hawthorn as an example. What they did isget the core of their team in the draft and then they kept adding via trades to address areas of need. Franklin, Roughead, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall, Shiels, Smith, Rioli, Bruest etc were all drafted by Hawthorn. However, a lot of their very important players were signed as FA or traded into the team to address their needs. Players like Burgoyne, Gunston, Gibson, Frawley, McEvoy, Hale, Lake and I am sure I am forgetting a few, were recruited from other clubs.

Bulldogs themselves also have a number of players they traded into the team. Boyd who was arguably the most influential player on the field was traded in from GWS.

I absolutely agree that losing Dangerfield killed us because we are scrambling to fill that void any way we can. We still have not done it. Gibbs would have softened the blow but he never could have replaced him. I laugh at those that suggested earlier in the year that we are a better side without Dangerfield. That is lunacy!

So really we are at a bit of the cross roads. Do we try and bring in a midfielder as a ready made replacement for Dangerfield and give it a go over the next 3 years while our core players are in their prime, or do we blow it up and rebuild. We are FAR FAR away from the blow up stage so we must do the first option. We tried to do it with Gibbs but failed miserably. I am sure we will try to do it again in 12 months time with someone. Whether that is Gibbs or someone else remains to be seen. In the meantime we will continue to draft well, develop well and hope to land that player or two that gives us a chance.

If we can learn anything from Bulldogs winning it this year is that you can get lucky and get a break where things fall in place. That Bulldogs team has had quite a number of holes for the entire year for it all clicked for 4 consecutive games where the committed to the cause, gave it everything they had, played with incredible intensity and things went their way. They have 1 A grade midfielder, the rest a good to very good. They have weaknesses in key positions all year long. They had a weakness in ruck. Hell they were offering pick 11 for Lobbe 12 months ago. We are not that far off. There is a LOT of improvement still to come from this team, especially in the midfield. We need to have the team approach like Bulldogs and play with that intensity. You need a bit of luck too.

I think we have approached it similarly to how Hawks have done it, except without the early picks and big name trades. Except we did sign a big free agent in Betts.

I can help but wonder if in 6-7 years time Dangerfield will sit on the balcony of his Floggs Creek home and wonder if him leaving when he did cost both him and the Adelaide Football Club a premiership. I wonder if he will ever wonder what would have happened had he stayed on for another 3 years?

So was Scott Simpson, Alipate Carlisle, Mitch Morton, Brad Dick, Matt Dea, Viv Michie, Sam Rowe, Aliir Aliir, Liam Dawson, and Blake Hardwick.

Obviously Rory Sloane was a once in a 10 year freak from 44.

It's a lottery really.

Yep. Although Aliir Aliir is looking like a very handy pick 44.

Nothing to see here says VFL I'LL bet...

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...of-confusion-around-tyrone-vickerys-contract/

Damian Barrett
has said there is a lot of "controversy" around the status of Tyrone Vickery's contract.

Vickery crossed from Richmond to Hawthorn as a free agent early last week on what reported as a two-year-deal.

But Barrett, speaking on The Weekend Breakfast with Seb Costello, suggests there's more to it.

"Even the dealing, Seb, around getting Tyrone Vickery in as a free agent - there was controversy around that," he said.

"The clubs aren't buying the release that he had a two-year contract from Hawthorn: they believe it's a three-year contract on less money than the half a million dollars it will be under a two-year deal.

"What it did by making it two years was allow him to pass as a Richmond player into a Hawthorn club...that allowed Richmond to get a second-round compensation."

He suggested a two-year deal is a "win-win" for the two clubs, in that Richmond get better compensation than a three-year deal would net them.

"In offering a two-year deal at, say, $500,000 for each of those two years; it's a million dollar offer which Richmond wasn't going to match," he said.

"Had it been the three years, which the other clubs believe it to be, of $400,000 times three - so $1.2 million over three years - Richmond almost certainly would have matched it, and Vickery wouldn't have got the easy and the smooth transition from Richmond to Hawthorn.

"Also, in believing or accepting it's a two-year deal, they do then get the second-round compensation. So it's win-win.

"I'll be really keen to see what happens to Tyrone Vickery at the end of 2018, because there's basically 16 other footy clubs that believe it's a three-year deal."

Barrett says Hawthorn may have trippe over their own feet in announcing it.

"T he Hawks put out a press release saying it was a three-year deal, and within 30 seconds of putting that out and that being reported, they were retracting their own press statement," he said.

He suggests the AFL has looked into it.

"That was being investigated by the AFL late in the week, and (we're) yet to see an answer on that."
I don't really get this, if there was something dodgy going on why would Hawthorn allow it?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back