Draft Watcher 2016 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up in my position breakdown...

I know Brisbane fans don't like it when I say this, but I still see him as being like Jared Brennan - and I see him playing that sort of roaming wing/half forward role.

You're a cruel cruel man chris

any chance of Ben Ainsworth to North Melbourne?

If they get bundled out in the first week of the finals, then maybe a slim chance at best. Otherwise, Ainsworth should still go in the top 5 or so for me.

I'm working on one of the more comprehensive updates to my rankings. Should be up soon.

I see Jimmy Miller got a state screening invite.
A lot of recruiters starting to take notice of him.

I'm certainly not surprised. I would have nominated him if I were in charge. In a draft that lacks a lot of quality KPFs, he's one of the few with both genuine ability and attributes that fits the modern game. Going undrafted last year wouldn't have shocked anyone with how he tested, but missing out again would be a shock this time for me. He might not be getting any attention on here, but it wouldn't be the case in recruiting land.

Chris, I remember you talking up Oleg Markov in his draft year even though nobody else was. Kudos to you.

Chris, I remember you talking up Oleg Markov in his draft year even though nobody else was. Kudos to you.

Don't get them all right, that's for sure. But I do alright occasionally. As an 18 year old, I had Markov at #28 - when he eventually went undrafted. And last year, I had him in my top 40 again.

He's been one of the few bright spots for Richmond this year. And I'm not hugely surprised.

Hey Chris, have you seen any of Josh(?) Scott's games this year for Glenelg?

Seems to have had a solid year kicking a couple of bags, do you have any insight into him as a player?

I did the Bulldogs draft in a Pre-draft Phantom on the Carlton Board and had them taking Markov in his Draft year at #51 i think it was.

See, i am sooo much smarter than Dalrymple and McCartney......ah , hang on....they took Caleb Daniel with that pick. Who i passed over and wouldn't have drafted.

I bow to them.

Hey Chris, have you seen any of Josh(?) Scott's games this year for Glenelg?

Seems to have had a solid year kicking a couple of bags, do you have any insight into him as a player?

Josh Scott has been around for a few years now. He was a dominant TAC Cup player before he moved over to SA. He was recruited as an undersized full forward at around the 188cm mark, TAC Cup he was a very good hit up forward and was a nice set shot on goal. He's moved further up the ground now for Glenelg, playing more of a CHF role. He runs hard, can play in the back lines too. I think he'll be a very good SANFL player for a long time, he'll consistently probably finish top 3 in the goal kicking.

Could consider him a poor mans Tom Lynch (the Adelaide one). For a name you wouldn't have heard for a while, there's a bit of Luke Jericho to him - good mark and shot on goal, athletic for someone his height but would be a tweener at the top level and would likely struggle to nail down one specific role.

Josh Scott has been around for a few years now. He was a dominant TAC Cup player before he moved over to SA. He was recruited as an undersized full forward at around the 188cm mark, TAC Cup he was a very good hit up forward and was a nice set shot on goal. He's moved further up the ground now for Glenelg, playing more of a CHF role. He runs hard, can play in the back lines too. I think he'll be a very good SANFL player for a long time, he'll consistently probably finish top 3 in the goal kicking.

Could consider him a poor mans Tom Lynch (the Adelaide one). For a name you wouldn't have heard for a while, there's a bit of Luke Jericho to him - good mark and shot on goal, athletic for someone his height but would be a tweener at the top level and would likely struggle to nail down one specific role.

More "heart" than Luke I'd hope...

I'm working on one of the more comprehensive updates to my rankings. Should be up soon.

I'm certainly not surprised. I would have nominated him if I were in charge. In a draft that lacks a lot of quality KPFs, he's one of the few with both genuine ability and attributes that fits the modern game. Going undrafted last year wouldn't have shocked anyone with how he tested, but missing out again would be a shock this time for me. He might not be getting any attention on here, but it wouldn't be the case in recruiting land.

Sounds an interesting player Chris who would you compare him to...? At 195 he seems a nice size.. similar to Hogan...big enough while being small enough to be agile. Would he be the most likely from the WA state screening?
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...e/news-story/8f6e7a4213cb2d96d6f8c5ae2f2ae41f
Seems a couple of names that are WA based and are less known (for me at least) Liam Ryan.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that, I've seen him play on tv a couple of times and thought he looked a likely type, I thought he looked taller than that though.

Sounds an interesting player Chris who would you compare him to...? At 195 he seems a nice size.. similar to Hogan...big enough while being small enough to be agile. Would he be the most likely from the WA state screening?
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...e/news-story/8f6e7a4213cb2d96d6f8c5ae2f2ae41f
Seems a couple of names that are WA based and are less known (for me at least) Liam Ryan.?

Plenty of likely types at the WA screening, even if they aren't being talked about too much.

You'd have to consider Goddard and Strnadica the most likely of the lot, simply based on their resumes and coming into the season so highly regarded. But you could make a case for Jimmy Miller to be next up, something along the lines of Tim O'Brien from Hawthorn is what I would compare him to. Still needs to improve his endurance and general running game, but he's made strides already.

Liam Ryan will be a popular pick, I imagine both WA teams will have him firmly on their radars. He's your typical small forward, hugely skilled but has a little extra size than most at 184cm. I think West Coast will take him, maybe sneak in with their last pick of the national draft. A heap of other smalls too, who would probably be talked about more if they were bigger. Calvin Thorne is somehow playing league football despite his near 60kg frame, Stan Wright is the ball winning small midfielder with Tarir Bayok showing some potential across half forward. Not convinced any get drafted though.

Otherwise, I still like Noah Hura. Another who came into the season with high hopes, but struggled a little. I'd happily rookie him, he can make things happen off half back or up forward. Luke Meadows would be one of the better mature aged defenders, 188cm and 85kg, the 21 year old can defend and rebound. Could plug him straight into a bottom 8 team.

I'll update my rankings over the next few days, still putting the finishing touches on the later names.

But, the top five hasn't changed. Petrevski-Seton is top and McCluggage still at 5.
McClugage at 5. That is a big call. I'd have thought even his bigger doubters would have been swayed by his TAC Cup form over the past month consistently racing up 25-35 disposals and kicking 3-5 goals out of the midfield. I rate your opinion highly though and good to see you rate SPS at 1 as I agree on that one.

Plenty of likely types at the WA screening, even if they aren't being talked about too much.

You'd have to consider Goddard and Strnadica the most likely of the lot, simply based on their resumes and coming into the season so highly regarded. But you could make a case for Jimmy Miller to be next up, something along the lines of Tim O'Brien from Hawthorn is what I would compare him to. Still needs to improve his endurance and general running game, but he's made strides already.

Liam Ryan will be a popular pick, I imagine both WA teams will have him firmly on their radars. He's your typical small forward, hugely skilled but has a little extra size than most at 184cm. I think West Coast will take him, maybe sneak in with their last pick of the national draft. A heap of other smalls too, who would probably be talked about more if they were bigger. Calvin Thorne is somehow playing league football despite his near 60kg frame, Stan Wright is the ball winning small midfielder with Tarir Bayok showing some potential across half forward. Not convinced any get drafted though.

Otherwise, I still like Noah Hura. Another who came into the season with high hopes, but struggled a little. I'd happily rookie him, he can make things happen off half back or up forward. Luke Meadows would be one of the better mature aged defenders, 188cm and 85kg, the 21 year old can defend and rebound. Could plug him straight into a bottom 8 team.

Stan Wright has amazing left foot is a bullet very versitile small mid.
Tyson Pickett iam big fan of playing good league footy for south.
Tarir makes me smile us east perth fans love him, was used horribly in the championships.
WCE may rookie Mitch Dobson

Good call on Meadows. One in a similar mould, a couple of years younger and at the same club is Mitch Peirce. Reminds me very much of Luke a couple of years ago and can see him developing in the same way.

Stan Wright has amazing left foot is a bullet very versitile small mid.
Tyson Pickett iam big fan of playing good league footy for south.
Tarir makes me smile us east perth fans love him, was used horribly in the championships.
WCE may rookie Mitch Dobson
what type of player is dobson? i just had a quick look at his wafl stats. Im assuming he is a mid. at 187cm and 87kgs he built as.

I reckon Ryan could go as early as second round. Pretty rare to see the kind of dominant performances being put up by him as a 19 year old playing league. Avoid the term as much as possible, but the X-factor he's got will give him an immediate point of difference in the AFL.

Mate of mine who played with Meadows at West Perth until this year where he's left for the VFL said he was not rated as a talent at all when younger but has worked his arse off to get in to draft consideration. A good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back