Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s be honest, it’s a ridiculous time slot.

Last year it was held at 5pm in the cbd on a Friday night, now it’s Monday 4pm at West Lakes. Both horrendous options logistically for a huge chunk of the supporter base.

At least the unemployed, pensioners, night shift workers, students, school teachers and now flexi leave employees can attend.

Being a Monday-Friday 9-5 worker, I get annoyed that the Family Day is always a ridiculous timeslot. I'd love to be able to attend, but haven't in a long time due to the annoying timeslot.

But then I thought about it from the players' view. They give up nearly every weekend from late February to (hopefully) late September. I guess it's a bit much to ask the playing group to give up a Saturday or Sunday in January to sign guernseys and football cards that will only end up on eBay anyway.

Just on my last post .....Fyfe one out in the goal square, along with Dusty and Danger is a dangerous possibility

Tex couldn't be that player for us .....his overhead skills are not strong enough ....but McGovern could excel, superior overhead skills and superfast on the lead

The teams that are doing it don't have great depth at the forward line though. Geelong are praying the corpse of Stewart Crameri can kick 30+ goals for them this year along with Danger and Ablett resting forward, Freo have Cam McCarthy and relying on average guys like Shane Kersten to pick up the slack and Richmond did what they did after a spectacular failure to find any player capable of being a decent 2nd tall forward to pair with Riewoldt after going through guys like Vickery, McBean, Griffiths and Elton over the past 2-3 years.

Just on my last post .....Fyfe one out in the goal square, along with Dusty and Danger is a dangerous possibility

Tex couldn't be that player for us .....his overhead skills are not strong enough ....but McGovern could excel, superior overhead skills and superfast on the lead

We did this in the 2nd half of the Collingwood game last year where Gov kicked 4 goals and we came back from the dead to draw the game. Gov is a match up nightmare for any team out there.

Is there any chance we see the Tex that dominated Rance in 2015 again? Have injuries changed the player he has to be?
Know Rance better as loose defender but Tex owned him that day - shame his kicking was pretty poor or would have had big bag.

This has been discussed a lot in the MELB media .....thrust is, if you try and follow last years premier, you'll go backwards

I agree, the Power Forward that isn't all that mobile is dying (not dead), but in critical condition .......if rotations are reduced again, this may very well be their salvation

Also the exercise last year of Dangerfield positioned at FF, one out proved a success ......will we see more of this stay at home forward in 2018

I've said for a while that IMO Tex is too big .....seems to have been a by product of his recovery from the knee ......i'd like to see 5Kg's stripped, so he can retain that evasiveness, that was such a strong part of his game a few years back

I disagree re JJ ......he's still one of the quickest on the list ....his weight is fine
JJ's issue is repeat efforts for more of the game.

We did this in the 2nd half of the Collingwood game last year where Gov kicked 4 goals and we came back from the dead to draw the game. Gov is a match up nightmare for any team out there.
Yep, Gov to full forward... Sloane to half forward. That is not easy to counter when you consider the others in our forward half include Walker, Betts and Lynch. Add in a young improving Gallucci and it's looking pretty potent.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep, Gov to full forward... Sloane to half forward. That is not easy to counter when you consider the others in our forward half include Walker, Betts and Lynch. Add in a young improving Gallucci and it's looking pretty potent.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I like it. We should direct a lot more attacks through Gov, rather than leaving him to find scraps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern and Gibbs into our GF side makes us better than with Lever plus Cameron. Doedee and Galluci plus an improved Milera should counter their losses.
Assuming no key inquiries.

Selfish? He was probably following coach’s instructions.

We smashed them in the contested possessions, just like they smashed us in the GF. Hard to put much of that against Rance.
It was clear on the night who our dangerous forwards were & Rance wasn't anywhere near them.

They obviously learnt their lesson...

I like it. We should direct a lot more attacks through Gov, rather than leaving him to find scraps.
Gov just turned 23, has played 36 games ... for someone to take control of an AFL Forward line that is still pretty young and inexperienced but he's on that path.

Now it's a different era, but the year Modra turned 23 he played 8 AFL games for 21 goals ... the next year he kind of escalated though :) 23 games for 129 goals !!

Gov just turned 23, has played 36 games ... for someone to take control of an AFL Forward line that is still pretty young and inexperienced but he's on that path.

Now it's a different era, but the year Modra turned 23 he played 8 AFL games for 21 goals ... the next year he kind of escalated though :) 23 games for 129 goals !!
About time McGovern was given a pivotal role, rather than the "sidekick" role ........Gov to FF, Tex CHF .....jj out of a pocket

Being a Monday-Friday 9-5 worker, I get annoyed that the Family Day is always a ridiculous timeslot. I'd love to be able to attend, but haven't in a long time due to the annoying timeslot.

But then I thought about it from the players' view. They give up nearly every weekend from late February to (hopefully) late September. I guess it's a bit much to ask the playing group to give up a Saturday or Sunday in January to sign guernseys and football cards that will only end up on eBay anyway.

it was a sunday arvo for a few hours in 2015 from memory, which was the last one i've been to.

working weekend hours is a cop out, as it's one of only a small amount of opportunities that child fans/members get to meet the players, and they've cocked it up again.

I’m kind of intrigued with all these closed training sessions and nothing coming out. Seems like we might have a change to the game plan, big or small.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They won't dramatically change the gameplan .....we did finish top after all .....but it will be tweaked, expect to see a harder approach, maybe with less flowery play

This has been discussed a lot in the MELB media .....thrust is, if you try and follow last years premier, you'll go backwards

I agree, the Power Forward that isn't all that mobile is dying (not dead), but in critical condition .......if rotations are reduced again, this may very well be their salvation

Also the exercise last year of Dangerfield positioned at FF, one out proved a success ......will we see more of this stay at home forward in 2018

I've said for a while that IMO Tex is too big .....seems to have been a by product of his recovery from the knee ......i'd like to see 5Kg's stripped, so he can retain that evasiveness, that was such a strong part of his game a few years back

I disagree re JJ ......he's still one of the quickest on the list ....his weight is fine

Sure Jenkins is still quick in a single effort, the trouble is when you’re covering 10-12km a game carrying nigh on 110kg it’s hard work and providing repeat efforts is difficult. Even at 98kgs Jenkins is a powerful athlete, I think though that it would allow him to get to more contests and have more energy to impact them when he does. He’s not a pack crashing forward so I see limited value in him being 110kg.

Back