Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just short of the 1.791m that watched Hawks/Dogs Semi 2016. down slightly on Fox, up slightly on FTA.

Pretty good considering last years was a much better contest

Rugby league got a combined 1.402m.

Interestingly, the afl got 61k in Brisbane (against the broncos) which was effectively the same as the 62k the nrl got combined in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Poor signs for the rl with the only saving grace that they will commence a new 5 year deal next year which actually marginally closed the gap in rights value.

Interesting that 7 decided to put this match back on 7mate

I don't understand that move. The Swans ratings for prime time games since mid way through the year have been very promising.

Channel 9 have put the Storm on the primary channel a few times late in the season. Anyway considering the game was over during the third quarter, 88k on 7 mate was pretty solid. Another 63k on Fox is quite impressive.

When you compare this to how the NRL in Sydney fared last night on 9 and Fox, a pretty healthy % of people elected to watch the disappointing Swans.

I don't understand that move. The Swans ratings for prime time games since mid way through the year have been very promising.

Channel 9 have put the Storm on the primary channel a few times late in the season. Anyway considering the game was over during the third quarter, 88k on 7 mate was pretty solid. Another 63k on Fox is quite impressive.

When you compare this to how the NRL in Sydney fared last night on 9 and Fox, a pretty healthy % of people elected to watch the disappointing Swans.

Yep, combined 151k average compared to 411k average for the nrl in Sydney. 63k to 101k on Foxtel

It's a shame we don't get peak and particularly reach numbers more often. I reckon football loses out with averages over ~3 hours compared to ~2 hours for league

Pretty good considering last years was a much better contest

Rugby league got a combined 1.402m.

So how is the "we are the best game to watch on TV and our ratings are better than the AFL going"? When the AFL out rate the NRL by 389,000 viewers overall for last nights match.

Richmond VFL into their Grand Final. I suspect if the Tigers win their AFL preliminary final on the Saturday they could well get the best VFA/VFL crowd in plenty of decades at Docklands on the Sunday.

It will depend if the footy media pump up the Tigers story given enough PR they could top 30,000.Both Port and Williamstown have pretty good support from their successful VFA days

It would have to beat 23,272 at the 1989 Coburg v Williamstown GF
The next biggest VFA GF crowd was 29.664 in 1977 the 100 year anniversary of the VFA
The biggest VFA crowd ever in the VFA/VFLs 140 years history was 48,238 in 1939 at the GF at the MCG

Hypothetically, what would the crows V geelong match get if the city of Adelaide had a bigger stadium? 70-75k?
Possibly, what i liked to see is a redeveloped western stand to mirror the eastern stand. Allows more outer bays, increase the grandstand seating by another 5,000, get it up to 61-63,000 would be perfect. record attendance in Australian Rules in SA is 66,897 1976 SANFL GF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a record crowd to me! yeah a record low for a VFL/AFL final in maybe 100 years Lucky to be 15,000
1917 both semis had around 16k.
1916 Carlton v Fitzroy semi under 10k.
Reckon there is around 13k there, so 101 years since we had a lower crowd at a final. Plenty of free tickets going around too. Very, very long road ahead for GWS off filed.

Reckon there is around 13k there, so 101 years since we had a lower crowd at a final. Plenty of free tickets going around too. Very, very long road ahead for GWS off filed.

Looks around 15k to me. Heard nothing about free tickets personally but from you

Today's crowds in the West of Sydney

Parramatta v Cowboys: 41,287
ANZ Stadium

Matildas v Brazil: 15,089
Penrith Stadium

GWS v West Coast: 14,865
Spotless Stadium

Ive seen nothing about free tickets for the final at all and Im well across their social media. 8,000 NRL tickets were given to school kids for their match though.

GWS v West Coast: 14,865
Apparently the worst finals crowd since ww1.
Dissapointing crowd but the context is it was up against parramatta, Sydney's biggest nrl side and the matildas. Two sydney nrl finals also only got 15k last week. Our recent form until tonight had been less than inspiring. It's a tough market. But I'm still confident of averaging 20k plus for spotless games in the not too distant future.

They got a bigger crowd at the same venue with these teams literally a month ago!

I know it's up against the NRL, but c'mon it's finals! Really should have been 17-18K even then.

They got a bigger crowd at the same venue with these teams literally a month ago!

I know it's up against the NRL, but c'mon it's finals! Really should have been 17-18K even then.
Yeah thats the part i don't get. Assuming there were no free tickets, the question is should there have been? And would that have made any difference?

If its good enough for the NRL to give out free or discounted tickets in their heartland, surely its good enough for the Giants?

Even in last years Prelim against the Dogs, they did not sell out and the Dogs had almost half the support. Surely a different marketing campaign is needed. What works south and west of the Murrumbidgee will not necessarily work in Western Sydney.

On a somewhat positive note, it appears that there has been 0 crossover support from the Swans, who have maintained excellent crowds and record membership. But it just highlights the long and difficult road ahead for the Giants. The Swans crowds of the early 90's showed that it can be done - they just need to keep working at the grassroots, and the Giants really can't afford to bottom out.

This thread would have 80% less posts without the endless comparisons about how well even lousy crowds compare to NRL.

While overall it's been a great year for crowds this weekend has been a lousy one.

This thread would have 80% less posts without the endless comparisons about how well even lousy crowds compare to NRL.

While overall it's been a great year for crowds this weekend has been a lousy one.

The AFL crowds will bounce back next week with possible sellouts at both games.Maybe 140,000 plus.
Im not a big fan of giving away free tickets as I think it is not fair on the people who have paid good money for finals tickets.
GWS was always going to be a long struggle in a hostile market.
Have a look at the Storm in Melbourne they still struggle to sellout a 30,000 stadium after 20 years of a lot of success and massive free PR from News Corp unlike GWS who get very little PR in the Sydney media even when they are winning.

Last edited:
An Adelaide V GWS GF would be an interesting crowd. I suspect a record number of corporates would tried to be wooed to fill the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back