Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent round of crowds, probably the best of the year.

Perhaps the overall crowds will improve on last year after all, although there will be some tough rounds ahead; reckon there’ll be some seriously ugly crowds for Queensland-based matches over the coming months.

Carlton are marginally better and their crowds are holding up quite well.....very well in fact if you consider the state of them onfield in recent years. Essendon, Richmond and even Collingwood are all winning with some degree of regularity. The novelty value of the new venue in Adelaide not yet worn off.

Overall things are looking quite good.

Excellent round of crowds, probably the best of the year.

Perhaps the overall crowds will improve on last year after all, although there will be some tough rounds ahead; reckon there’ll be some seriously ugly crowds for Queensland-based matches over the coming months.

Crowds won't fall away as badly as last year you wouldn't think where 9th was 2 wins and percentage outside of the 8 at round 13...this year 14th is 2 wins and percentage outside of the top 4 at round 10.

The fact that things are closer should mean more people retain interest for longer?

Yep, there are more teams genuinely in the hunt...there'll be more teams alive for longer etc

Last year there was a sense of inevitability with the top 8 from early in the season and it was only north's season collapsing that gave a hint of a chance to teams just outside of the 8 later in the season.

A game involving Richmond is the only way a Saturday night home and away game can draw 85k +

Similarly the anzac night eve Richmond v Melbourne crowd was incredible .

All things remaining equal, they are the number 1 crowd pullers in the AFL.

Which in my mind is an indictment to the actual on the field team over the last 35 years considering we the fans have had basically nothing positive to support. If Richmond had Hawthorns success we would have 100,000 members and would never leave the MCG due to our drawing power.

A game involving Richmond is the only way a Saturday night home and away game can draw 85k +

Which in my mind is an indictment to the actual on the field team over the last 35 years considering we the fans have had basically nothing positive to support. If Richmond had Hawthorns success we would have 100,000 members and would never leave the MCG due to our drawing power.

if they win a flag one day, the crowds and memberships go bananas

I think the records show this isnt true

Attendance records show the pies and dons both have us covered on the number of games with 80k+ and 70k+

Off mem, i think even the blues out do rfc

We pull a good crowd, but lets not go overboard

A big game you people talk, alas with little evidence in support

These are the 4 years Richmond have made the finals and Collingwood haven't in the last 30 years. 2015 was the only year that Richmond pipped Collingwood on home crowds. The only other year was Collingwood's spoon year...in every other year for the last 30 years Collingwood has had (generally much) higher average home crowds...2015 was the only year in at least a quarter of a century Richmond has got more in aggregate H&A than Collingwood...by a total of 314 (or about 0.03%!)

upload_2017-5-29_16-48-25.png

Richmond are good crowd pullers but, as appears to be the way with on field performance with the toigs, you are getting way ahead of yourself! Essendon are the second biggest crowd pullers and Richmond and Carlton are about the same

These are the 4 years Richmond have made the finals and Collingwood haven't in the last 30 years. 2015 was the only year that Richmond pipped Collingwood on home crowds. The only other year was Collingwood's spoon year...in every other year for the last 30 years Collingwood has had (generally much) higher average home crowds...2015 was the only year in at least a quarter of a century Richmond has got more in aggregate H&A than Collingwood...by a total of 314 (or about 0.03%!)

View attachment 375807

Richmond are good crowd pullers but, as appears to be the way with on field performance with the toigs, you are getting way ahead of yourself! Essendon are the second biggest crowd pullers and Richmond and Carlton are about the same

Richmond are coming from a looong way behind. The period from 1986-1993 in particular severely wounded our supporter base. The on field performance in that era was beyond putrid and supporters turned away in droves. Since then they have had flickers of success but continually ripped out the heart of the supporters. Time and on field success will tell the full story here and not any of your historical numbers. One thing I do know is that we have stabilised our supporter base since about 2010 and with finals success I can guarantee we will always finish ahead of the Pies\Bombers when they are below us as of 2015. To me its Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon daylight then maybe Carlton but the Blues have never really been close to the other 3 all things being equal.

look there is plenty of evidence to support my claim

First team in the league to top 1 million fans, Richmond, 1980
Biggest ever Pre Season Grand Final crowd, 1993 crowd 75533
Biggest ever Elimination final crowd in history Rich v Carlton 2013, 94000
Third biggest Elimination final in history Rich V Nth Melbourne 2015, 90370
Biggest ever Qualification final in history Rich v Collingwood, 1972, 91900
Biggest Saturday night crowd in history Rich v Essendon 2017, 85,000

A successful Richmond has and will continue to smash all record with crowds. The problem is , we may never see it.

The Nth Melbourne Elimination final in 2015 is testament to this. They are the only club in the big 4 that can pull that type of crowd for an elimination final when playing a team with very few supporters,

Last edited:

View attachment 375807

This is just rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol Collingwood are the biggest crowd pullers in the afl. When Collingwood make finals no club draws bigger then Collingwood. Essendon are second then Richmond 3rd then Carlton 4th. They are the only clubs that have drawn more then 1 million fans during the home and away season

A successful Richmond has and will continue to smash all record with crowds. The problem is , we may never see it.

The Nth Melbourne Elimination final in 2015 is testament to this. They are the only club in the big 4 that can pull that type of crowd for an elimination final when playing a team with very few supporters,

In 2010 Collingwood the only club to draw 1.3 million in the home and away season. Richmond yes is a big club but if Collingwood and Richmond were both 1st and 2nd on the ladder Collingwood would come up on top every year

So has $84 for a ticket on level 2 at Etihad always been a thing or are north just going to drain the pockets of the tigers because they know we are stupid enough to pay it?

Christ my level 2 reserved seat membership is only $495 and that's with 11 home games..

I'll be sitting in the rafters and only giving them $25 bucks of my money, when if they priced reasonably I would of paid maybe $55-60.

May just crack 40000 in my opinion.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stats plus if you honestly think Richmond who have only drawn more people during the home and away season once in 35 years then really you need you head examined mate.

Collingwood when winning is the biggest club in Victoria Richmond tho are a big club is 3rd they have no way near the same support and Collingwood and Essendon around Australia

Richmond are coming from a looong way behind. The period from 1986-1993 in particular severely wounded our supporter base. The on field performance in that era was beyond putrid and supporters turned away in droves. Since then they have had flickers of success but continually ripped out the heart of the supporters. Time and on field success will tell the full story here and not any of your historical numbers. One thing I do know is that we have stabilised our supporter base since about 2010 and with finals success I can guarantee we will always finish ahead of the Pies\Bombers when they are below us as of 2015. To me its Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon daylight then maybe Carlton but the Blues have never really been close to the other 3 all things being equal.

People forget that back in 2009-2011 Carlton were only second to Collingwood in attendances drawing around 1.1 million. Carlton when winning are up their with Essendon and Richmond. Still very confident that a winning Collingwood would average around 4-5 k more per home game then the other 3 big clubs

No, you've got a handful of shared "records" you have built a fantasy around

Of your only genuine club claim made above, Collingwood and Essendon didn't move most of their games to the mcg until the 90s...the first club to crack 1 million fans in a season was when you were the only big club that had the capacity to achieve it

When you've played in half a dozen finals in 35 years an elimination final no doubt carries more draw power than for teams that have played in dozens of finals and multiple grand finals over the period.

All but one of your shared records above involve another big 4 club except for the one elimination final with north. Like a rat with a gold tooth you are using this one game ultimately to base your whole case in the face of 35 years of drawing lower, and generally substantially lower, than collingwood

Stats plus if you honestly think Richmond who have only drawn more people during the home and away season once in 35 years then really you need you head examined mate.

Collingwood when winning is the biggest club in Victoria Richmond tho are a big club is 3rd they have no way near the same support and Collingwood and Essendon around Australia

What stats

I have provided plenty.

No, you've got a handful of shared "records" you have built a fantasy around

Of your only genuine club claim made above, Collingwood and Essendon didn't move most of their games to the mcg until the 90s...the first club to crack 1 million fans in a season was when you were the only big club that had the capacity to achieve it

When you've played in half a dozen finals in 35 years an elimination final no doubt carries more draw power than for teams that have played in dozens of finals and multiple grand finals over the period.

All but one of your shared records above involve another big 4 club except for the one elimination final with north. Like a rat with a gold tooth you are using this one game ultimately to base your whole case in the face of 35 years of drawing lower, and generally substantially lower, than collingwood

Lots of melts . No detail and no facts .

It must be annoying you That the pies and the bombers are gifted a 100k crowd head start with Anzac Day , and this has just been eroded with the Anzac Day eve match between richmond and Melbourne now just as big .

And it is against another nothing club Melbourne .

Just accept the truth or provide some statistical evidence if th contrary

Spot on. That North elim final speaks volumes in itself. Seriously who draws 90k against North outside of a GF? That turnout was just insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back