Position 2017 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vince and Salem looked good on the weekend. Salem playing a lot through the middle. Unsure how much midfield time he'll get through the season though.
Vince will likely play off half back this year. He can rack it up back there.

Macmillan for north is an interesting one, wouldn't know him from a bar of soap, averaged 105 post bye last year if you exclude being carried off early in rd 23.

In the leadership group, 25 years of age, ticks all the right boxes for a 90+ season.
I'm a huge JMac fan, he should go 90+ but feel there's better value elsewhere. Ticks quite a few boxes but not at $438K. Will be keeping a keen eye on him as an upgrade target though.

Interested in peoples thoughts on Jeremy Howe.
I like him as a player but at 500k he's a bit unproven. Will Bucks move him from that backline sweeper role?
Locked in to my team as a POD. Confident he'll play the same role that he played for last 2/3 of 2016 all of this year.
Agree is a bit unproven, but will always get a few points for intercept / contested marks at least!
The one thing that worries me slightly is we may not look for him quite as much kicking the ball out of D50 - we'll have 1 or 2 kicking options this year that we didn't have last year (Dunn, Keeffe, Ramsay instead of Brown, Frost, Williams etc).

Interested in peoples thoughts on Jeremy Howe.
I like him as a player but at 500k he's a bit unproven. Will Bucks move him from that backline sweeper role?
I had him last as you are probably aware of.
I think his average is around 85 so you should be able to get him cheaper later in the season. He has also lost his DPP.

He is a POD because he shares the bye with Adams Laird and Shaw who are all better picks imo. Hard to see how you will go wrong with Howe though if he continues his rebounding role, but a ballsy pick compared to the 3 I just listed. Add Hampton and Keene and Scharenberg in to the mix and yeah..

He is a POD because he shares the bye with Adams Laird and Shaw who are all better picks imo. Hard to see how you will go wrong with Howe though if he continues his rebounding role, but a ballsy pick compared to the 3 I just listed. Add Hampton and Keene and Scharenberg in to the mix and yeah..
Agree with most of this. At the moment I am hoping for enough good forward rookies to be able to go to D5 with starting premos (have Adams and Laird). Shaw is a wait and see for me, likely (hopefully) to be the last upgrade in def after his bye if he continues with his scoring from recent years.
Like Hampton as a pick from what I have heard, but think Scharenberg and Keeffe will be very slow burns, in and out of the team with a lot of scores <65 - I won't be starting them.

Agree with most of this. At the moment I am hoping for enough good forward rookies to be able to go to D5 with starting premos (have Adams and Laird). Shaw is a wait and see for me, likely (hopefully) to be the last upgrade in def after his bye if he continues with his scoring from recent years.
Like Hampton as a pick from what I have heard, but think Scharenberg and Keeffe will be very slow burns, in and out of the team with a lot of scores <65 - I won't be starting them.
Think you are barking up the wrong tree. Defence rookies looking very good. Think you are better off stocking up in the Forwards for structure purposes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heard that Monty has a calf issue.
Can't bring myself to pick him now, could well be nothing, but at 33 years old and coping the old man calf issue puts a line through him for me.
Genuinely stumped on who to pick at D1 now.
Shaw, Doch, Simmo are all a fair bit overs.
Boyd is 500 years old.
Rance KPD, ew.
Adams is made of craft paper.
Like Pittard but has annoying round 9 bye...

Can't bring myself to pick him now, could well be nothing, but at 33 years old and coping the old man calf issue puts a line through him for me.
Boyd is 500 years old.
Rance KPD, ew.

IMO just set and forget Shaw or Docherty depending on your bye structures. You might lose a bit of $$ early, but you'll likely retain a trade and end up with a top 3 defender on aggregate. I know they're expensive, but they do come with more security than almost any other defender this year.

A week ago if anyone asked me about picking Tuohy I'd give them a flat out no. But he'll actually be on the watchlist now. Had a strong finish to '16, very durable, best bye round, good DE%, etc.
Most of the pre JLT hype was because he'd be taking Enright's spot, and hopefully Enright's points. The only issue with that for me is that Enright was a god damn superstar, and Tuohy wouldn't come in and simply replace him.
It seemed like they looked to use him a lot in the first JLT game, which wasn't the case at Carlton due to them already having stud back flankers.
After Dangerwood, there aren't too many Geelong players posting great SC averages (Duncan, Menagola, Blitz?) so the points should be there to be scored after Dangerwood takes their 300 point slice of the pie.
How many players have had a breakout year at 27yo?...

Funnily enough, last year I thought Duryea could have been a good pick and CDixonthenet laughed at me we had a bet on who would score more, Duryea or Tuohy, he picked Tuohy because he thought he was a s**t truck ended up winning easily and now I'm actually considering him lol.
This year it's Richard Douglas VS Chris Mayne for the World Heavyweight s**t Truck title belt.

IMO just set and forget Shaw or Docherty depending on your bye structures. You might lose a bit of $$ early, but you'll likely retain a trade and end up with a top 3 defender on aggregate. I know they're expensive, but they do come with more security than almost any other defender this year.

I'll definitely look to bring in both but Doch at 591k coming off his first premo year is too much, rate the bloke and don't think he'll go backwards, but can't say he's a sure bet. Also tends to score better against the better teams, which Carlton don't play many of until after the bye. He's been star for my draft team 2 years running, love the kid.
Also a huge fan of Shaw, but he went to water when he coped more attention last year, and it's scared me off. Plus everyone one at GWS is going to be pushing for 100+ averages, and he has the worst bye round IMO.

Boyd is 500 years old.
Rance KPD, ew.
I'm still happy to pay a little overs in Mr Standard Deviation - Simpson, at this stage.

Boyd is 500 years old.
Rance KPD, ew.
Having this exact conundrum atm.

Boyd is 500 years old.
Rance KPD, ew.

Still scoring 100's ;)

Anyone liking Bernie Vince?

Didn't score under 80 in the first 13 rounds last year with 7 tonnes.

Super durable, playing across half back should rack up touches considering the amount of chipping around the Dee's do.

His 2nd half of the year is a worry.
^this

Guys like Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver will get more of the ball, so less points to go around for Vincey

Hibberd could also rack em up on HBF

he's a no for me

A week ago if anyone asked me about picking Tuohy I'd give them a flat out no. But he'll actually be on the watchlist now. Had a strong finish to '16, very durable, best bye round, good DE%, etc.
Most of the pre JLT hype was because he'd be taking Enright's spot, and hopefully Enright's points. The only issue with that for me is that Enright was a god damn superstar, and Tuohy wouldn't come in and simply replace him.
It seemed like they looked to use him a lot in the first JLT game, which wasn't the case at Carlton due to them already having stud back flankers.
After Dangerwood, there aren't too many Geelong players posting great SC averages (Duncan, Menagola, Blitz?) so the points should be there to be scored after Dangerwood takes their 300 point slice of the pie.
How many players have had a breakout year at 27yo?...

Funnily enough, last year I thought Duryea could have been a good pick and CDixonthenet laughed at me we had a bet on who would score more, Duryea or Tuohy, he picked Tuohy because he thought he was a s**t truck ended up winning easily and now I'm actually considering him lol.
This year it's Richard Douglas VS Chris Mayne for the World Heavyweight s**t Truck title belt.
I actually started with Duryea last year :drunk::'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back