Opinion Derailed Off-Topic Thread / Are You Bored With Life? discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Speak for yourself
If you could think before you react then you wouldn't be an idiot then would you
Go ahead. Feign your superficial disgust then claim the moral high ground
If you can't work out my comment pertains to the causal factors and not the actual incident that's your problem

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

The joke is obviously too sophisticated for us.

I don't recall saying anywhere that I thought it was a good thing
Now THAT would be cause for complaint

Wasn't meant to be a joke
It was an observation about people putting their hands in the fire and complaining about getting burnt
Innocence had nothing to do with it.
And to add to that you know it will happen again and again and again and we all know why it will be so.
I think they will see it as collateral damage.
And so welcome to the machine.
You , me and everyone.

I guess as a whole, the USA has so far accepted to allow this to happen. Without the population rallying to make a change they have endorsed a state of business as usual.
I saw someone mention the other day that on average there is a mass shooting at a rate higher than 1 a day in the US this year. A mass shooting is defined as more than 4 deaths in an incident.

Mind boggling. Greater than 1 a day.

Original !!
C'mon, if you honestly need to be explained to why content such is that is offensive to some, I'd suggest living in this century. I'm not the type to be offended on someone else's behalf, nor do I find it offensive (because it doesn't hurt me personally) but I can totally understand how people find a lot of the stuff posted here offensive, and it takes a pretty average sort of person not to respect that, nor does it take much to word a post that isn't going to offend people.

Seriously why do you get so butt_hurt over s**t like this all the time. It's pathetic. Feel free to call Caroline Wilson any sort of male name you like.

But you do realize that calling men by female names is a long standing way of suggesting that they're weak, because supposedly "being a girl" is being weak, whereas calling women a male name not only doesn't happen but has no long standing history of being code for being a lesser person?

So, it's different. Very different. Hence the desire to make it stop.

Anyway, back to Gibbs!

How are you with the looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane, jibe Nikki?

Not one that I use myself. I might have in the past, but not anymore because I realise the implication. But 'Looks like Tarzan and plays like Erin?' Who wouldn't want to play like Erin? ;)

Using female gender as an insult often does constitute a warning around these parts from the Mods, from what I understand. Instead of reporting the post I thought a quick heads up asking someone to not do it was a nicer way. In future I will let the Mods deal with it as they see fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you do realize that calling men by female names is a long standing way of suggesting that they're weak, because supposedly "being a girl" is being weak, whereas calling women a male name not only doesn't happen but has no long standing history of being code for being a lesser person?

Anyway, back to Gibbs!
think you're projecting a bit there...

it's a pretty dumb assertion. Guys calling other guys girls is just the most basic form of ostracism - the lowest hanging point of difference. Simple.

and if you'd like to suppose that its about "weakness" - just check every Olympic world record and tell me if you think any implication that men might have a higher capacity for athleticism than women is completely inappropriate.

there's really no more need to get offended by a comment like "Jane Cornes" than there is to be offended by the portrayal of Homer Simpson as an average man.

Anyway, back to Gibbs!

1410943788466.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back