Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In that case it will increase the importance of bringing in some genuine speed thereafter.

From the apparent standout top 3 at the draft, are any of them on the slow side?

Who are the apparent standout top 3? I'm not sure, nor do i really know about their speed.. i keep hearing Rayner, Davies-Uniacke's names

Top 3 consensus is forming around Dow/Davies-Uniack/Rayner

Players in mix: Cerra, Coffield, Stephenson
Rayner's first effort is elite, it's the repeat efforts that are under a cloud.

LDU is elite for a 6'3" mid.

Dow is functional and rips out of the stoppage.

Cerra is a touch slower on the first first step than Dow but has some wheels.

Coffield is more rangy but has good top speed; excellent side step.

Stephenson is elite, but thinner than a post.

Stkilda look like they need outside run, Jaidyn Stevenson appears like he would be the ideal player.. He wont last until pick 7.. Would both SOS and the saints look at Pick 3 & 16 (assuming Gibbs goes) for 7&8..

Stkilda look like they need outside run, Jaidyn Stevenson appears like he would be the ideal player.. He wont last until pick 7.. Would both SOS and the saints look at Pick 3 & 16 (assuming Gibbs goes) for 7&8..
I guess if Scully did request a trade we could look at it, pick 8 & 2018 2nd for Scully/Kennedy/Smith and use pick 7 on say Coffield/Brayshaw or whoever suits best.

Does Stephenson have an inclination toward an inside game (contested ball, tackling)?
I think around 48% of his possessions in the tac cup were contested, averaged 6 tackles per game in his last 6 for the season. His inside game would be a work in progress but he can hit the scoreboard as can Rayner which is a big plus and why these two are my favorites so far.

I guess if Scully did request a trade we could look at it, pick 8 & 2018 2nd for Scully/Kennedy/Smith and use pick 7 on say Coffield/Brayshaw or whoever suits best.

I reackon your on to something there

We may have someone identified someone that will go 6-12 who would be a better fit.

As well as getting in elite talent in the right age bracket by way of the trade period

I think around 48% of his possessions in the tac cup were contested, averaged 6 tackles per game in his last 6 for the season. His inside game would be a work in progress but he can hit the scoreboard as can Rayner which is a big plus and why these two are my favorites so far.

Quite intriguing actually. His kicking can be wayward, but with deadly acceleration/speed, demonstrable ball-winning ability, strong nous for goal and an inclination toward a contested game (i.e. not afraid of contact), wouldn't be a bad pick.

From the 2 champs games the thing that stood out to me aside from the obvious pinning the ears back running I50 and kicking goals was his follow up second and third efforts to apply pressure and tackle when the ball was in dispute. Did this even in the second game I saw when he did get many possessions.

Last edited:
You'd reckon acquiring Matt Kennedy means that SOS can target speed or X factor with pick 3... Rayner or Dow, come on down
Not really, as there are plenty of contested/inside mids with pace in the first half of the pool: Bonar, Dow, D.Fogarty to name a few.

We need to think beyond Gibbs, Ed and Murphy with the next few drafts.

Just caught the backend of Shifter Sheehan interview on Trade Radio. Think he said Raynor isn't testing at all at the combine.
Hopefully they can get him to appear at the state combine then, otherwise it'll be closed testing shortly before the draft. Can't keep hiding forever.

Rayner fits a short term need for a small forward and hopefully a long-term need as mid.

Would be happy with Dow though. Maybe not as much of a need for LDU with Cripps and now Kennedy coming on board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner fits a short term need for a small forward and hopefully a long-term need as mid.

Would be happy with Dow though. Maybe not as much of a need for LDU with Cripps and now Kennedy coming on board.
Look, in theory you're right, but that's like saying let's not try to pair Judd with Fyfe and Josh Kennedy.

Look, in theory you're right, but that's like saying let's not try to pair Judd with Fyfe and Josh Kennedy.

If all three players reach those heights. I'm open to taking LDU, but it's a massive group of mids. Kennedy and LDU would be spending a significant amount of time forward.

If all three players reach those heights. I'm open to taking LDU, but it's a massive group of mids. Kennedy and LDU would be spending a significant amount of time forward.
Nah, Murphy and Gibbs would.

Throw those three into the centre. :cool:

Nah, Murphy and Gibbs would.

Throw those three into the centre. :cool:
That's exactly the way I see it. I want to see Gibbs and Murphy getting themselves into position to score or set up rather than be caught up in a pile of bodies every stoppage. Crippa and Kennedy (and possibly Rockliff too) can own that domain.

I'd say it's more like adding Wines to Cripps and Kennedy. 3 players of a big body and not overly fast. I think it's one too many, if Dow and Rayner were taken I'd probably prefer Stephenson to LDU

Great play but doesn't change my opinion of him. Wines is quite agile for his size and has done things similar to that.

I'm more interested to know why that wasn't paid a mark!?
I think it was, he panicked and played on.

In all honesty, LDU has an elite speed/agility/endurance package. The combine should hopefully settle this.

Back