No Oppo Supporters 2017 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The womens game was ok. Once the novelty wears off i doubt they will fill half of that crowd. But gotta start somewhere. Skills were ok for a few players but the rest were ordinary. Give them a break they are trying and are the 1st of a new generation. Dont like it dont watch it. I mean its not every day you get to see women playing footy in lingerie. Ok enough of the Lingerie Football League.

Did anyone see the AFLW last night? * me that was horrendous

Don't really know where else to post this, but I'm bringing the family home to Sydney for a couple of weeks in April. Looks like we'll time it perfectly to catch Eddie four chins serving up the excuses after the redbirds serve up a nine goal SCG drubbing.

Any ideas when the tickets are on sale?

The problem I have with AFLW is this idea that keeps being repeated that only now can women play Australian Football. They've been able to play it for decades. It's only now that the mechanism exists for them to play it (semi) professionally.

But this to me is where it gets offensive. The best AFL players would be playing AFL irrespective of whether it was professional. It became professional because the best players put on a game that was entertaining to watch. Only then, and very gradually, did it become professional. But it was being played for its own sake for many years first.

So I just find the priorities are all a bit arse about. Good luck to the girls if they can make a go of it, but the standard I saw a small bit of over the weekend was nowhere close to what is regularly on display at parks all over Victoria by complete amateurs playing the game just because they want to.

The problem I have with AFLW is this idea that keeps being repeated that only now can women play Australian Football. They've been able to play it for decades. It's only now that the mechanism exists for them to play it (semi) professionally.

But this to me is where it gets offensive. The best AFL players would be playing AFL irrespective of whether it was professional. It became professional because the best players put on a game that was entertaining to watch. Only then, and very gradually, did it become professional. But it was being played for its own sake for many years first.

So I just find the priorities are all a bit arse about. Good luck to the girls if they can make a go of it, but the standard I saw a small bit of over the weekend was nowhere close to what is regularly on display at parks all over Victoria by complete amateurs playing the game just because they want to.
Great to see the Giantesses get thrashed and the Lionesses chalk up a win. The Banyo kid should be very happy.

I prefer AFLW to International rules.

Great way to start a preseason imho.

Well that isn't saying much, International Rues is/was a joke. At least the AFLW is the right sport. The skills will only get better as we enter years 2, 3, etc. Give it a chance.

Considering some of the women only just started playing I thought it was pretty good.

This may have been discussed on the main board, but a cursory glance failed to see anything.

Was anything made of Eddie fronting Fox's panel for the Mundine/Green fight on Main Event?? I can only assume Eddie has flicked his clubs first ever woman's football match to do a hosting job a trained monkey could have done adequately and quite possibly better...

It really is an interest one for womens footy.

Not particularly keen to watch it in its current interation. Maybe in a few years it will be a bit more than just effort.

The sink or swim will be to see it up against other sports in reguar season. At the minute it is in a niche slot

100% this. I've given up on going to games against the Hawks in Melbourne because of some of the disgraceful behaviour I've seen there in recent years. 2014 GF was abhorrent, but the 2015 first match up was every bit as bad as well.
I'll keep going in the hope that we start dominating them and let every Hawks supporter know about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans getting a team in a few years?

Think expansion should be slow and steady. Took 10 years for the VFL to add new teams.

People running the show need to know whether there are enough competent players to support more teams if quick expansion is their goal.

Haven't watched any of the women's games but was interested to see the size of the crowds. Big test will be as the season wears on and the novelty value diminishes.

First test will be this week when we get to see week 2 versus week 1 crowds. Anyone want to hazard a guess as the % drop in attendances, which I assume there will be.

Haven't watched any of the women's games but was interested to see the size of the crowds. Big test will be as the season wears on and the novelty value diminishes.

First test will be this week when we get to see week 2 versus week 1 crowds. Anyone want to hazard a guess as the % drop in attendances, which I assume there will be.
Roughly around 12.68%

But do you really think it would have got anywhere if they'd done it the other way around? I don't think so. We live in a media-driven age. They had to make a big splash, and they did. There was always the chance the AFLW would fall flat on its face, but early signs are that on the contrary, it's exceeding everyone's expectations, and it's already in everyone's living rooms and being talked about constantly.

I just can't see how I should find that "offensive".

Nothing but positives in it for me. Loving it.

But do you really think it would have got anywhere if they'd done it the other way around? I don't think so. We live in a media-driven age. They had to make a big splash, and they did. There was always the chance the AFLW would fall flat on its face, but early signs are that on the contrary, it's exceeding everyone's expectations, and it's already in everyone's living rooms and being talked about constantly.

I just can't see how I should find that "offensive".

Nothing but positives in it for me. Loving it.

Well the "offensive" aspect is that a number of suburban clubs (and possibly regional clubs I'm not sure) have bent over backwards to accommodate women's football for only very limited take up. Junior clubs have had girls teams but they have dropped off at whatever level. Then they get on the radio and say how great it is because they have never had a pathway before. That's offensive to so many local administrators who have tried to accommodate them in developing that pathway.

For over a century, blokes have played footy all over the country just for the sake of playing footy. Only very recently, have only the very elite out of those thousands and thousands of blokes been able to make a decent dollar out of it. But even if they couldn't, and even if it didn't deliver fame and fortune etc, those blokes would still be playing footy just because.

It seems to me that many of the girls are playing not because of footy for its own sake, but because they can get on TV doing it.

Now as I said, if they make a go of it, well good luck to them. I'd never begrudge a person being successful. But I do wish they'd stop with this "lack of opportunity to play" crap that they keep going on with because it's simply untrue and an insult to local football club administrators everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back