2017 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone with that much experience maybe not

You wouldn't run Stevie J in the twos if he was right to go I wouldn't think

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apples and oranges.

If you were sticking MDB in a forward pocket where you don't stray too far from home and rely on him to get through the game on cunning and nous then yes I reckon you could whack MDB straight in without a run in the twos. But a midfielder? Unless you're happy with him on the bench for large chunks of the game you'd want him to smash out a few cobwebs in the magoos for mine. Particularly when you have the likes of bam bam racking them up there already.

How long has he been out now? Long enough, I would have thought, that one game (half a game) in the NEAFL will be the path back for him.

My question about De Boer and Matt kennedy us we are down our best "run with" player in Cogs and Griffen was playing that role in his absence. It seems to me we are looking for that role. I know De Boer is ferocious at the ball and that makes me think he might be a good defensive option?
I get the fitness thing but he hasn't been out long and has been in the system a long time. Not saying Matt Kennedy who's clearly no wuss isn't a better option just musing.

Any news on how Lids is going?
I was thinking this too

It's concerning that it's been so quiet

Especially since over at freo a calf injury has pretty much put an end to Harley Bennells career.

Been out for a year and a half and every time he gets to running he tears it again
And he is young

Unfortunately lids is not

Dang
c27ed5b634ea871775525cd4cdd92a7a.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Buntine out with an ACL :(
Seriously unfortunate, that it happens in his contract year will create the same sort of scenario that Patton had a few years back.
The same outcome would be ideal.

Just saw this, damn! :( Though he may be lucky in that he didn't tear it completely in a game or during training.

He was one that I saw as could elect to go elsewhere if lacking opportunity this year. But I'd think that GWS would offer him an extension - probably not the greatest deal given that he's only played the 40-odd games to date - and he might elect to stay as it would be difficult for him to impress another club now.

Our injury toll is starting to mount up - not a lucky year for us at all.

Any idea why on earth you would operate on a bloke who's been playing unimpeded by an injury for years? Probably more to it than reported, but what is reported does not add up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking this too

It's concerning that it's been so quiet

Especially since over at freo a calf injury has pretty much put an end to Harley Bennells career.

Been out for a year and a half and every time he gets to running he tears it again
And he is young

Unfortunately lids is not

Probably not overly relevant, but he was doing some commentary for ABC or 3AW a few weeks back. Caught me by surprise a bit. So we know he's alive.

:(Really feel for Bunts, a long hard, painful and frustrating road ahead for him in rehab. Just as he was back in the side.
Only positive I can see is he may eventually come back stronger with a long term problem fixed, and it has to be good for his health to have it sorted.

Any idea why on earth you would operate on a bloke who's been playing unimpeded by an injury for years? Probably more to it than reported, but what is reported does not add up.
I can think of at least two reasons, which means it adds up just fine to me:

1) The increased risk of injury is reason enough in my mind.
2) Often in these cases other joints or muscles pick up the slack resulting in degenerative issues if the underlying problem isn't fixed.

The club has a duty of care to these guys. I think you'll find that a partial ACL tear generally results in surgery, especially in professional athletes - it's just in this case it wasn't discovered until several years down the track.

I can think of at least two reasons, which means it adds up just fine to me:

1) The increased risk of injury is reason enough in my mind.
2) Often in these cases other joints or muscles pick up the slack resulting in degenerative issues if the underlying problem isn't fixed.

The club has a duty of care to these guys. I think you'll find that a partial ACL tear generally results in surgery, especially in professional athletes - it's just in this case it wasn't discovered until several years down the track.
In response
1 - yeh, nah. You don't send someone to the sidelines for a worst case scenario 12 months on the sideline because they MIGHT get an injury putting them on the sidelines for a similar timeframe or, more likely, far far less.
2 - sorry, but the research shows an acl reco does not reduce the risk of degeneration in the future at all.

In response
1 - yeh, nah. You don't send someone to the sidelines for a worst case scenario 12 months on the sideline because they MIGHT get an injury putting them on the sidelines for a similar timeframe or, more likely, far far less.
2 - sorry, but the research shows an acl reco does not reduce the risk of degeneration in the future at all.
Not sure what you're doing on our board not making any sense at all. Starting to get the sense you're intention is to troll?

Last edited:
In response

You are a group 1 goose. NFI.

In response
You don't seem to understand the concept of a duty of care, and you definitely didn't understand my second point if you thought I was referring to the reconstruction - I was referring to continuing to play with the injury.

I'm curious what your conspiracy focused mind thinks is happening instead.

So AFL site running with Shiel and Shaw being in doubt.

Normally once these articles start running they have legs.

Will they still do the MRP today or wait till tomorrow ? I really want to have Greene cleared then worry about the other 2

To be honest i would have preffered to play the swans wirh them unbeaten. They are going to be so desperate for the win

So AFL site running with Shiel and Shaw being in doubt.

Normally once these articles start running they have legs.

Will they still do the MRP today or wait till tomorrow ? I really want to have Greene cleared then worry about the other 2

To be honest i would have preffered to play the swans wirh them unbeaten. They are going to be so desperate for the win

Shiel just got a burner. He has a chronic shoulder and its a bit tender to contact, he will be ok.

Shaw's was a cork so he could miss. A week off might be good for him, he's been playing like a millionaire this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back