Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very unlikely. Winning Brownlow in sides that win less than 10 games nigh on impossible. You play same standard of game in losing side that you do in winning side and you could easily get 3 votes in winning game and 0 in losing game even though as individual you were just as good. Just how it tends to work now.
Judd won one when we won 11 games so win that many and maybe some hope. I expect we are more in the 6 to 9 wins range for next season as more realistic. Too few for mine to be real Brownlow hope.
3 Votes Round 1 ... P Cripps Carlton !

2014 - Marchbank, Pickett, Garlett

2015- Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, SOSOS, Kennedy

2016 - SPS, Fisher, Williamson

2017 - Dow, Obrien, DeKoning

That is a lot of talent coming through the door all at once in the same age bracket.

Add Doc, Cripps, Plowman plus a gun free agent as we get close and another top 10 pick next year, it's certainly going be a very exciting 2020 onwards.

What is 2019 a gap year!!

That is a lot of talent coming through the door all at once in the same age bracket.

Add Doc, Cripps, Plowman plus a gun free agent as we get close and another top 10 pick next year, it's certainly going be a very exciting 2020 onwards.

Could also throw in the names of Lang (pick 16 in 2013 draft), Byrne & Macreadie.

Basically 3/4 of our best 22 are under 25...arguably the only ones who are currently over are Murphy, Simmo, Jones, Kreuz & Ed. Casboult & Wright as well but they probably won't be best 22 for much longer and can't see Thomas playing too many games in 2018 unlike this year.

Next year it's very possible the only 4 over 25yr in our best 22 by mid 2018 are Murphy, Kreuz, Jones & Ed Curnow...with the rest being between 19-25 which will form our core group of players to take us to #17 hopefully.

Could also throw in the names of Lang (pick 16 in 2013 draft), Byrne & Macreadie.

Basically 3/4 of our best 22 are under 25...arguably the only ones who are currently over are Murphy, Simmo, Jones, Kreuz & Ed. Casboult & Wright as well but they probably won't be best 22 for much longer and can't see Thomas playing too many games in 2018 unlike this year.

Next year it's very possible the only 4 over 25yr in our best 22 by mid 2018 are Murphy, Kreuz, Jones & Ed Curnow...with the rest being between 19-25 which will form our core group of players to take us to #17 hopefully.
Simpson hasn't done anything wrong yet.

Last edited:

Fathertime is undefeated, but if he produces what he did Last year the I'd sign him up for 2019, leadership and fearlessness great for the group.

Doubt he'll be playing in our next flag

inb4 Soapy... and Polson and LeBois

Last edited:
Agree.
However, if Docherty was fit, then Simpson would probably start on the bench in the Best 22 at the start of the year, and then get pushed out by year’s end.
The Irish players reckon he goes alright and i'm tipping he'll still be in best 22 at the end of next season.

The Irish players reckon he goes alright and i'm tipping he'll still be in best 22 at the end of next season.
Who makes way for Kennedy, Garlett, Dow, O’Brien, Lang, Fisher, McKay, Macreadie ?

Gibbs is no longer on our list, Docherty is injured ... I have Thomas already pushed out and Lamb probably pushed out but in the next few, so 4 changes to there ...

Wright is probably next to be pushed out, then ... maybe Casboult (especially if McKay rucks 15% of game time) ... then ... I think it might be Simpson ...

Ah yes forgot Simmo (somehow).

Still, by mid-2018 I predict we may only have 5 players in the best 22 over 25 which is a really low number.
Murph, Simmo, Jones, Kreuz & Ed.

Shows how much young talent we've stockpiled and they'll come through in a cluster which bodes well for us in a few years.

Who makes way for Kennedy, Garlett, Dow, O’Brien, Lang, Fisher, McKay, Macreadie ?

Gibbs is no longer on our list, Docherty is injured ... I have Thomas already pushed out and Lamb probably pushed out but in the next few, so 4 changes to there ...

Wright is probably next to be pushed out, then ... maybe Casboult (especially if McKay rucks 15% of game time) ... then ... I think it might be Simpson ...
What's he done wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the delivery into F50 improves with the new (found/injected) disposal skills, no way will Wright get pushed out. He will be a 30-40 + goal Forward pocket player.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-carlton-blues--matthew-wright

He was just a shade under 1.5 goals a game this year .....

If the delivery into F50 improves with the new (found/injected) disposal skills, no way will Wright get pushed out. He will be a 30-40 + goal Forward pocket player.

Depends on how well the youngsters he is competing with are tracking plus where we see the side next year.

By my count there will be quite a number of talented youngsters who could push him out by the end of 2018. Garlett & O'Brien are 2 that immediately spring to mind, even though they aren't exactly a like-for-like, those 2 could come into our senior 22 at some point next year.

What's he done wrong?
I don’t think he has done or will necessarily do anything wrong.

The challenge is there for our younger players to command their positions in the Senior team, and so at some point later in the season I think Simpson will be the next to be pushed out.

Some Amigos That I Used to Know
by Notye

Now and then I think of when they were together,
I was so happy watching the amigos fly.
Told myself they were right for us,
But they weren't always on the bus,
But that was footy and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of goalscoring
Watching the amigos and the Fev, I'll always miss Fev...
So when you couldn't play in the middle or defence
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad we could turn the list over

But Mick didn't have to cut them off
Make out like it never happened and at the trade table we got nothing
And we don't even need your play
But Betts made AA and that feels so rough

No, Mick didn't have to stoop so low
Have Daisy take your paycheck and then change your number
At least we got Cunners though
Now you're just some Amigos that we used to know

Sheesh, I was happy with doing one line.....Ferris snorts the whole ounce!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think delivery into the Forward 50 will improve as we transition to quicker ball movement with more run, handball and so on.

I think Wrighty is a really tough one as the season goes on. Has been a really good player for us.

Let’s say we set up with Jack, Charlie, Casboult, McKay, Pickett and Wright as our forward 6 and our bench has 2 midfielders who can play forward too (let’s say Kennedy and Garlett). And who’s not in the Best 22? It’ll be a couple of Fisher, Lang, Dow and Cuningham ...

and they might add to the midfield rotations from the forward line where Wright might not, and so I think Wright could make way for the 8th or 9th midfielder ...

Similarly I think Lamb might be pushed out from the start of the season.

I don’t think he has done or will necessarily do anything wrong.

The challenge is there for our younger players to command their positions in the Senior team, and so at some point later in the season I think Simpson will be the next to be pushed out.
If his form drops off i'll agree, if it doesn't i'll dissagree.

What he does he does very well. He just needs to do more of it.

Cuningham seemingly has never been a high possession player at any level incl U18's.

If he is going to do serious damage at AFL level he needs to either

Get a lot more of the ball - which he has never been able to do

OR

Do a lot more damage with the ball when he does get it - and also do serious damage without the ball (defensive pressure, defensive running and tackle pressure)

I hope he makes it - but unfortunately I still have my doubts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back