Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we can load up our midfield of the future with one big king hit at the draft/trade this year .
Trade pick 1 to Saints/Tigers for 2 x 1st rounders .
Trade Gibbs for Adelaide's 1st rounder and change .
End of 1st round PP on the cards after a very skinny win/loss season this year .
Trade 2018 1st rounder to the Giants for Hopper and Kennedy .
That's 6 x quality young midfielders added to the list in one hit with the possibility of a premium FA also added this year or going forward .
That would be Gold, the club would need to finance a statue of SOS if he landed anything like this.

We must recruit big body midfielders next draft. We have a lot of smaller mids at the moment and not many big guys in their. Port's midfield looked huge compared to ours.

I also think the Gibbs trade to Adelaide may have done its dash. Adelaide are really good at developing their younger players and the way they are playing they don't need an almost 30 year old Gibbs.
Could not agree more. Whilst our smaller mids have skill and are still raw, we need to bring in some size this year in the mid department.

The club should encourage Simmo to have a crack elsewhere. Let him go to a contending club for more than likely the last year of his career.

Although he's always got the club's best interest at heart, if he doesn't request a trade at the end of the year, he'll never experience finals footy again, let alone potentially winning a premiership.

Would be annoyed at the club if this happened. If we are going to move on ageing stalwarts of the club, do it when they have some currency.

We would gain nothing from this scenario.

Anyone wondering what McKay can become watch what Daniher did today. Very similar type players and I reckon McKay could be better and is a much better kick for goal

That's what we want to see.
It could be though that Harry would need to clock up his contested marking quite a bit.

Say want we want about Daniher, but he's terribly hard match up for back-men.

Would be annoyed at the club if this happened. If we are going to move on ageing stalwarts of the club, do it when they have some currency.

We would gain nothing from this scenario.

It's not about us, it's about Simmo and taking care of his needs after a long career with the club.

If he wants to stay that's his imperative but if he indicates he wants to leave we should accommodate him.

Defeatist attitude Old navy .
The last 20 years have had nothing to do with any silly gods notions , we've brought it on ourselves .
Things changed 2 years ago , although results aren't immediately obvious , we're on our way !

We're on our way, no doubt, but IMO we are still a fair ways off it, think it's going to take another 2-3 years of good drafting and recruiting before we can expect to be pushing for finals footy, that doesn't mean it couldn't all come together sooner, if players come on quicker then expected, but I'd like the club to do this the slow and methodical way and have a much greater chance at getting it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're on our way, no doubt, but IMO we are still a fair ways off it, think it's going to take another 2-3 years of good drafting and recruiting before we can expect to be pushing for finals footy, that doesn't mean it couldn't all come together sooner, if players come on quicker then expected, but I'd like the club to do this the slow and methodical way and have a much greater chance at getting it right.

I also doubt we will be pushing for finals in the next year or so but if we were to attack this draft/trade period it would see the bulk of the rebuild in place enabling the group to come through together , rise out of the bottom rungs of the ladder and over the following few years add the final pieces of the puzzle as required in our climb back to the finals .

Anyone wondering what McKay can become watch what Daniher did today. Very similar type players and I reckon McKay could be better and is a much better kick for goal

I think Lynch is a better comparison

Having seen what SOS has done in the last 2 trade periods I firmly believe he won't just go to the draft with 4-5 picks.
Adelaide might not come for Gibbs, Port might (doubtful), if that's the case I can see SOS low balling Cas or Kruz in the same way we did Tuohy.

One thing we have failed abysmally, is in our ruck selections. We have relied on Kreuzer who has been serviceable but we invested 10 years and a lot of injuries and heart ache. Phillips is not up to it as he has no impact around the ground. Richmond picked up Nankervis from Sydney whilst we were signing Jed Lamb and Rhys Palmer. Nankervis will be a ten year player. We need to get smarter and start holding onto our first round draft picks and also identifying players we need;like a key ruckman and aggressively chase them. We gave up pick 7 for Jaksch and Whiley(now delisted) in 2014. In fact 2014 was a disastrous draft as most of the players recruited have since left or will be shown the door at years end.
We still have decisions to make on Lamb, Palmer, Phillips, Sumner, Jones, Jaksch,Thomas,Buckley,Boekhurst, Armfield, Graham,White and Simpson who will/should retire. Possibly trade Casboult and Gibbs for a first and second round pick. We still have a fair way to go in this rebuild and there is now some urgency otherwise we will start to lose established players like we did with Tuohy and Henderson. One positive will be that Carlton will have a lot of salary cap space next year. Unless we recruit some big names, there are going to be a lot of highly paid ordinary players at Carlton.

The baramoter for how quickly we come on is Patrick Kerr because he has a football brain of a real forward. He will free up Casboult, Mckay and Silvagni. He just needs an Afl body. If he makes it we probably need only 1 more kpf and our draft picks focus on our mids. Our youth will develop because they will have some one to kick to on a lead.

One thing we have failed abysmally, is in our ruck selections. We have relied on Kreuzer who has been serviceable but we invested 10 years and a lot of injuries and heart ache. Phillips is not up to it as he has no impact around the ground. Richmond picked up Nankervis from Sydney whilst we were signing Jed Lamb and Rhys Palmer. Nankervis will be a ten year player. We need to get smarter and start holding onto our first round draft picks and also identifying players we need;like a key ruckman and aggressively chase them. We gave up pick 7 for Jaksch and Whiley(now delisted) in 2014. In fact 2014 was a disastrous draft as most of the players recruited have since left or will be shown the door at years end.
We still have decisions to make on Lamb, Palmer, Phillips, Sumner, Jones, Jaksch,Thomas,Buckley,Boekhurst, Armfield, Graham,White and Simpson who will/should retire. Possibly trade Casboult and Gibbs for a first and second round pick. We still have a fair way to go in this rebuild and there is now some urgency otherwise we will start to lose established players like we did with Tuohy and Henderson. One positive will be that Carlton will have a lot of salary cap space next year. Unless we recruit some big names, there are going to be a lot of highly paid ordinary players at Carlton.
nankervis is okay. easy to look like a ruck god when when you're up against max gawn's back up's back up. kruezer took him to school in round 1.

perhaps we're playing thomas to get his games up now, so we can start talking to some players and agents to see if deals can be done in the off season and if it looks like they won't be, we can trigger his clause to delay the onset of that cap spacing opening up by a year, so we can target some players at the end of next season without having to overpay anyone in the interim.

I think this should quiet the folks who ask for Rowe to be dropped every few weeks after 1 or 2 mistakes

361776_dc131f64aa11d2fc84aa06189ab58310.jpg

Just looked at the ladders since 2013.

Carlton has conceded around 1300 more points
(~200 more goals) than Richmond in that time.

Obviously Rance and Rowe are poles apart offensively, but being as good a stopper (arguably better, relatively speaking) is some serious perspective on a much-maligned player.

I agree we need to renew our ruck stocks regardless of whether Kruezer stays or goes. If Kruezer goes, I think we need to trade in a new 1st ruck. If Kruezer stays, one or both of Phillips and Gorringe need to be upgraded on.

Just looked at the ladders since 2013.

Carlton has conceded around 1300 more points
(~200 more goals) than Richmond in that time.

Obviously Rance and Rowe are poles apart offensively, but being as good a stopper (arguably better, relatively speaking) is some serious perspective on a much-maligned player.

Stats in isolation mean next to nothing. Rance is clearly the better KPD. Our eyes tell us this.

Stats in isolation mean next to nothing. Rance is clearly the better KPD. Our eyes tell us this.

I am not suggesting Rowe is a better KPD than Rance. Derp.

I'm just saying many people see Rowe as a simple gorilla FB who is not really good enough for AFL but gets picked because we have no one else.

And that stat is a pretty good argument that perhaps many underestimate how effective a gorilla he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back