2017 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Arcade Fire's new album is dog s**t.. Pretentious disco crap.

You havent listened to the entire album obviously. There are a few disco type tunes but overall it aint no album that will be played in discos, unless they are suicide dance parties.

But I have to say it's a bit more than a tad disappointing. Lyrically it's almost embarrassing, sometimes downright nasty and negative.

From my favorite band of the last decade or so, Im unimpressed and expected much more.

My takes on the chart toppers at the moment, for anyone interested.

Another Bieber song where he croons in the same monotone thing as usual, only this time with Spanish guys. No thanks.

Pedestrian "tune" about weather which you can "dance" to (as displayed in the music video) from a "rock" band that is real "deep".

Calvin Harris and friends chipping in on some high school eisteddfod material.

This Santana rip would be respected if it was credited solely to Rihanna, who keeps up her end of the bargain in elevating mediocre material. Brundon Tiller and DJ Khaled don't contribute anything that anybody else in the business couldn't.

Further down is Kendrick Lamar, whose HUMBLE is as funny and more sincere than The Lonely Island's I'm So Humble, and catchier but not as insightful as OutKast's Humble Mumble.

The bassline of Bad Liar comes from Talking Heads' Psycho Killer, and I think Selena's singing is a Bruce Springsteen State Trooper imitation. Her other song currently getting airtime is Fetish: also good but too conventional, with Gucci Mane supplying a verse. I look forward to her next collaboration with Dior Hommeboi.

Name an Australian pop artist underrated as badly as this beaut. I’LL WAIT.

I wish Mauboy gave the song a slightly different title though, so too Miley Cyrus with Malibu. Try not to have your form of harmless derivative music so readily invoke a slightly better form of harmless derivative music.

Last edited:

You havent listened to the entire album obviously. There are a few disco type tunes but overall it aint no album that will be played in discos, unless they are suicide dance parties.

But I have to say it's a bit more than a tad disappointing. Lyrically it's almost embarrassing, sometimes downright nasty and negative.

From my favorite band of the last decade or so, Im unimpressed and expected much more.
I've listened to it a couple of times and am really enjoying it. Couple of weaker songs in the middle, but the beginning and end are very strong. I'm hardly going to knock them for being negative either, they sing about what it is they have to say at this point in time. If that's where they are at, so be it.

Another Bieber song where he croons in the same monotone thing as usual, only this time with Spanish guys. No thanks.

Pedestrian "tune" about weather which you can "dance" to (as displayed in the music video) from a "rock" band that is real "deep".

This Santana rip would be respected if it was credited solely to Rihanna, who keeps up her end of the bargain in elevating mediocre material. Brundon Tiller and DJ Khaled don't contribute anything that anybody else in the business couldn't.

Further down is Kendrick Lamar, whose HUMBLE is as funny and more sincere than The Lonely Island's I'm So Humble, and catchier but not as insightful as OutKast's Humble Mumble.

The bassline of Bad Liar comes from Talking Heads' Psycho Killer, and I think Selena's singing is a Bruce Springsteen State Trooper imitation. Her other song currently getting airtime is Fetish: also good but too conventional, with Gucci Mane supplying a verse. I look forward to her next collaboration with Dior Hommeboi.

I wish Mauboy gave the song a slightly different title though, so too Miley Cyrus with Malibu. Try not to have your form of harmless derivative music so readily invoke a slightly better form of harmless derivative music.

Despacito same monotone thing as usual? you heard the kid sing

Despacito same monotone thing as usual? you heard the kid sing

Total lack of vocal creativity and emotional depth, he couldn't sing the pants off the girl next door without his good looks and great dance moves.

That Mauboy track's instrumental is pretty much a straight copy of one of the songs on Lemonade. Just no horns (which were of course from an OutKast track, which complicates my point a bit, but still...).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about focusing on said music instead of image? Would make a nice change.
Oh sorry, lyrics aren't the music? Themes aren't relative to the music?

As for their music, instrumentally, dime a dozen generi-rock in which their biggest song is focused around a shitty kick drum or something.

Neil Finn is recording his new album "Out of Silence" live on webstream (his site and YT) every Friday through August up till a main recording on Aug 25th. 5pm AEST, just starting.

Oh sorry, lyrics aren't the music? Themes aren't relative to the music?

As for their music, instrumentally, dime a dozen generi-rock in which their biggest song is focused around a shitty kick drum or something.
reckon is this how you feel is a classic of its year. they're a band that plays australian opens and grand prixs and whatever, weird trajectory to follow one perfect single.

They're preaching, that's for sure. Some white chick telling me about how bad everything is in Australia. **** off. Focus on musicality first.
I Agree entirely. I actually have ue Planet eyes and their two previous EP's, so I was looking forward to their new stuff. Then I heard "I know a Girl" and "modern girl" or whatever it's farking called and was incredibly disappointed. Then I looked at their twitter, they have become SJW w***ers and it's incredibly disappointing. It's a shame because I saw them live a couple of years ago, and they put on a great show. Manfredi has gone silly feminist IMO.

Having given a few Preatures tracks a listen, I'm not seeing where the SJW complaints are coming form? Doesn't seem like there's anything that stands out.

Having given a few Preatures tracks a listen, I'm not seeing where the SJW complaints are coming form? Doesn't seem like there's anything that stands out.
I've just given it one spin so far, but seems a decent album. Once I hear the phrase SJW, i generally tune those opinions out. You have to be a pretty insecure man to begrudge a woman discussing issues that affect woman. 'Won't someone talk about men for a change?'

I've just given it one spin so far, but seems a decent album. Once I hear the phrase SJW, i generally tune those opinions out. You have to be a pretty insecure man to begrudge a woman discussing issues that affect woman. 'Won't someone talk about men for a change?'
I am actually a woman, FWIW.

I am actually a woman, FWIW.
Then your concerns make even less sense. I didn't pick up an SJW vibe about the album, a quick search shows most of the tracks are autobiographical. Is it because the current single includes an Aboriginal woman singing in an indigenous voice and she seems to be interested in preserving indigenous languages? Because I would recommend looking harder. Decent album with some standout tracks and not different enough to alienate fans of Blue Planet Eyes, in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back