Training 2017 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So Rocket prefers just the one Captain, not a fan of co-captains. My money will go on Lynch, if we go just one, although I'm a big fan of someone at the back overseeing the whole field and operation. So I would prefer Maysie but going with Tom.
Lynch Captain May Vice Captain is just fine by me. Vice Captain is virtually Co Captain anyway.

I'd personally prefer Steve May as captain.

If Lynch ever has a bad year.. and kicks an average amount of goals 1season everyone will be blaming the captaincy

Plus I don't like putting your number1 key forward as captain.
Puts just enough extra pressure on him to kick goals.
which might just tip him over the edge into getting some yips.

I think a few people are now calling for Tex Walker to hand his captains hat on after only 1 year in the job

Where as May can control and scream at everyone in front of him without to much to worry about

I reckon Swallow is a smokey for Captain and have a leadership group with the two boys in it, Rischa etc

If Lynch ever has a bad year.. and kicks an average amount of goals 1season everyone will be blaming the captaincy

I think a few people are now calling for Tex Walker to hand his captains hat on after only 1 year in the job

Where as May can control and scream at everyone in front of him without to much to worry about
Stephen Kernahan, Nick Riewoldt and Matthew Pavlich are some of the most games captained.

I like your post but consider the aggro factor. B.Hall, I am undecided about, could be awesome because he knows what it takes to be an elite goal kicker, also could be a massive friction.

hqdefault.jpg

Love Lynchy & Maysie and they show true leadership quality but both of them can 'lose' it at times, as shown last season. There isn't (or shouldn't) be any pressure on Lynchy to kick goals, he will do well in the Coleman and would be a deserved winner because he is a genuine star but Suns have other options fwd now and that's a good position to be in.

Might let Lynchy do or be, what he wants to be, take a back seat Thor ;)

You know what you're gonna get with Maysie, gives his all, regardless of consequences.

Edit -
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-05/ablett-continuing-to-move-well-and-show-leadership

Barlow fatigued, really..? He comes from similar conditions in the west *shrugs*

Dave Swallow, yet another full session!

Last edited:

I understand what you're saying, but I think Lynch captained the most games after Rischitelli these past 2 years and has been captain a lot. With Barry Hall as a mentor (who was also a former captain) as well as May & Swallow as potential vice-captains and Gary himself, he will have a lot of people to lean on to help. I remember in 2015, Rischitelli captained most of the first half of the year, and when Lynch was made captain his form went up and so did the teams. As far as day to day stuff goes, considering he's been vice-captain for the past 3 seasons, I don't think his off-field duties will increase that much (maybe a bit more media, but he already does a fair amount of that. And it's like Ablett ever did much media). And Lynch is much more respected than the other two (at least from an outsiders perspective and from non suns fans).

Would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him not being able to handle the captaincy well or perform as well as he has, but I feel if he there was to be just one captain, it's most likely gonna be Lynch.

I personally would like to give it to Swallow, but coming off 2 injury riddled seasons, this isn't the time for him (at least not for him to do it alone).

As for May, a lot of opposition players see him as a dirty player. So May would have to deal with the additional hate he would get being captain on top of dealing with the normal aspects of the captaincy. Whether any of us would like to admit it or not, May is not a respected player outside the of suns. As co-captain people wouldn't care as much, but as the single captain he will no doubt cop it.

When you look at everything that's happened the last few years, Lynch is clearly the most ready. Even if Lynch does have as good a year next year, I believe he has what it takes to overcome whatever obstacles the captaincy presents in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your post but consider the aggro factor. B.Hall, I am undecided about, could be awesome because he knows what it takes to be an elite goal kicker, also could be a massive friction.

hqdefault.jpg

Love Lynchy & Maysie and they show true leadership quality but both of them can 'lose' it at times, as shown last season. There isn't (or shouldn't) be any pressure on Lynchy to kick goals, he will do well in the Coleman and would be a deserved winner because he is a genuine star but Suns have other options fwd now and that's a good position to be in.

You know what you're gonna get with Maysie, gives his all, regardless of consequences.

Edit -
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-05/ablett-continuing-to-move-well-and-show-leadership

Barlow fatigued, really..? He comes from similar conditions in the west *shrugs*

I don't know why they don't train at 7am before the sun really starts smashing out extreme UV. Training in that midday heat doesn't make you any fitter or aclimatised. Living daily in those conditions does. All it does is make people loose extreme amounts of weight and water.

hqdefault.jpg

Edit -

Conditions are much different from the West.. I migrated from the West myself and walked around in a puddle of sweat for two years.. I'm used to it now but the Queensland humidity takes a while to get used too.. WA is hotter but very dry.. its tough as well but very different. .

He was starting in the midfield the year he won the bnf when jom and Prestia were fit
Hey guys, how's Swallow looking pre season? Is he on track to play NAB, and if so with the loss of Prestia and JOM does he start in the middle now?

Also, just one thing I've been meaning to say about Ablett. I have no doubt he will get back to his best this year and perhaps be even better next season. I have 5 main reasons for this:

1 - When he first did his shoulder he had keyhole surgery, which was the much less invasive and much less painful surgery. This time around he went with the fully invasive and much more painful Latarjet surgery (which involves moving bone from one part of the shoulder to the front of the joint, to block the shoulder slipping out the socket and dislocating again). So there are no worries of him redoing his shoulder. And also, by all reports he's already got close to full range of movement in his shoulder again, even taking overhead marks.

2 - As Ablett stated in a recent interview, most of his injuries he's had the last couple of years had been contact injuries. It's not like they're soft tissue injuries where his body is breaking down, so it's not his body letting him down. The injuries Ablett had could've happened to anyone.

3 - This is Ablett's first major injury in his 13th (or whatever year he did it) in his career. When it comes to long term injuries, Ablett clearly had no idea what he was doing. As stated before, he made a bad choice taking the easy way out with surgery and then attempted to rush back for round one last year. I don't think he'll ever be making those mistakes again. Also, I'm sure there were plenty of new obstacles he had to overcome, having his first long-term injury.

4 - The club now have better medical staff and will have much better facilities soon. This will do a world of good for all players. With players training in tin sheds and using bins as ice baths, it's no wonder everyone's always injured. At least with proper buildings they have air conditioning. How is anyone meant to recover from injury training in sweltering heat all day. You'd be fatigued all day.

5 - Now with the captaincy gone he can finally focus on himself and all the burden of captaincy is now gone. Also, after 2 years of injury problems, his body will be fresh and he will be hungrier than ever to get out on the field and play well. Also, the team won't be reliant on him as much as they used to, and has some older boys in Barlow, Hanley & Rosa to help him out in the midfield.

When you think about it logically, there's no reason he can't get back to his best (barring major any setbacks or another freak injury).

hqdefault.jpg

Edit -

Pretty sure I've seen Lynch go charging up the field to hit blokes or hit them high on purpose.
Lynch has a nasty streak to it's just he usually misses his target cos his big and a tad awkward or he gets let off because he is a jet

All May needs to do is look at someone and he gets a week

I don't know why they don't train at 7am before the sun really starts smashing out extreme UV. Training in that midday heat doesn't make you any fitter or aclimatised. Living daily in those conditions does. All it does is make people loose extreme amounts of weight and water.
Seriously..? Do any AFL games begin @ 7am o_O

Conditions are much different from the West.. I migrated from the West myself and walked around in a puddle of sweat for two years.. I'm used to it now but the Queensland humidity takes a while to get used too.. WA is hotter but very dry.. its tough as well but very different. .

I'm originally from Vic, the extremes are far more exaggerated but I do give you that it might take a couple of years to become acclimatised. The point is that at his age (and expected outcome), Barlow does not have that luxury.

I'm being extremely tough because I want the best from all on the list in the upcoming season.

Pretty sure I've seen Lynch go charging up the field to hit blokes or hit them high on purpose.
Lynch has a nasty streak to it's just he usually misses his target cos his big and a tad awkward or he gets let off because he is a jet

All May needs to do is look at someone and he gets a week
Ben! Look again @ what I said there, BOTH of them do it and you can also look @ posts I've made. I'll make it easy 4 you ;) -

They are the 2 least likely to need firing up.. :hearts:

Report, seriously..? Watch his (Lynchy's) eyes, his were on the ball not the player, p off with the drama!

1st 1/4 - May, Day, Lynch. loved it. TNic, Touk, Rory, Jesse (bad 'do), Saady, Rosa & Secco among many who put in, looking like a 'team'. That is most important regardless of opps.

Lynchy has grown! Best I've ever seen him physically. We actually seem to be playing without a legit FF but not hurting :D

Yeah, he (Maysie) was saying wtf are you doing getting sucked into their BS! Notice Merrett and Clarke have been on Lynchy's case from the start..? They (Lions) know who the most dangerous player is.

1st 1/4 - All the guys putting in, Touk is getting plenty of attention and rare to see a mistake from Saad but that pass to Matera on 2 talls was costly.

Kolo, Maysie :hearts:

To give a measure of how I rate Lynchy, I feel for him as I do for Sel.

Forgot to mention, Bris need a new team hair stylist.

Ahh I was referring to his "chat" to Lynchy. Have said a few times that Shady is going to b a good player, if Steve didn't tell him what he was doing wrong then he, (Maysie), would not b doing his job as a leader of the backline..?

Rather ironic that Lynchy needed to say the word to Maysie just then. Wake up guys, 4 1/4's just like last week.. and next week ;)

Seriously..? Do any AFL games begin @ 7am o_O

I'm originally from Vic, the extremes are far more exaggerated but I do give you that it might take a couple of years to become acclimatised. The point is that at his age (and expected outcome), Barlow does not have that luxury.

I'm being extremely tough because I want the best from all on the list in the upcoming season.
Well of course he doesn't. You said the conditions were similar in the West, I'm saying they aren't. .. that's all!
Barlow will be fine, he is a professional athlete and its like week 2 of pre-season..

Well of course he doesn't. You said the conditions were similar in the West, I'm saying they aren't. .. that's all!
Barlow will be fine, he is a professional athlete and its like week 2 of pre-season..

Yeah, he'll adjust, just like every other suns player has. He hasn't even been here for a month yet. And the whether won't be as bad once the season starts anyway. Even if he does struggle a bit, the opposition will struggle more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back