Training 2017 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

the year 1 to 3 boys went to Tipplers yesterday and I provided a couple of boats to drive them over there, had a good chat to Jack Bowes, lovely kid and had Saady with me too, he was petrified and asked if there was any sharks in the water..........."Adam, your joking right? No, really are there any sharks in here and I said mate there are shitloads", he never said a word the whole trip...picking them up again at 11 today..........they loved the trip over BTW Peter Wright looks like Phar Lap jesus he is a specimen very good gene pool that boy.....................also noticed Ben Ainsworth looks like a young Jarrod Harbrow View attachment 317033 View attachment 317034

That ex Townsville Crocs NBL player Tom Howard signed with Southport Sharks so safe to say we aren't taking him. Hopefully plays as a top up through the year.

Good to see the Suns taking pre-season games to other local grounds on the Gold Coast and not just Southport. The Sharks and Cats are bitter rivals so this just goes to show the Suns are a team for all Gold Coasters. I imagine this also means the Broadbeach ground will receive a small amount of funding from the AFL for an upgrade to reach broadcasting/surface standards.

Broadbeach do seem to be falling behind Labrador, Surfers Paradise and Palm Beach so an upgrade is probably long overdue.

Good to see the Suns taking pre-season games to other local grounds on the Gold Coast and not just Southport. The Sharks and Cats are bitter rivals so this just goes to show the Suns are a team for all Gold Coasters. I imagine this also means the Broadbeach ground will receive a small amount of funding from the AFL for an upgrade to reach broadcasting/surface standards.

Broadbeach do seem to be falling behind Labrador, Surfers Paradise and Palm Beach so an upgrade is probably long overdue.
I would like to see games go regional like the Mackay game.
Makes more sense as it brings ppl that generally wouldnt go to a game come out and watch.
Broadbeach doesnt seem very regional to me lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

co-captains means at least 2 of our stars are less likely to be seeking options near mum and dad
May and Lynch are generational players you can build a Club around, not just a team
They deserve it

Leigh Colbert says hi.:D

Really was the most obvious choice giving it to them both. How can you split them? Yeah Lynch was probably just ahead in everyone's eyes, but May has really come on over the last 24months in terms of his leadership and they are both absolute stand outs. The club has really done a great job grooming the next lot of leaders with these 2 plus Swallow, Touk, Sexton, and even some of the 1st/2nd years as well oozing leadership. I have full confidence that these guys are the right ones to drive the club forward, and we have finally given them the keys to do so.

I would like to see games go regional like the Mackay game.
Makes more sense as it brings ppl that generally wouldnt go to a game come out and watch.
Broadbeach doesnt seem very regional to me lol.
To be fair, the Suns have done a pretty good job lately of playing pre-season games in regional north Queensland but at the end of the day they are also the GOLD COAST Suns so it's important to appease your entire academy zone. Don't forget they also play a home and away match in Cairns every year. Here's a breakdown of their pre-seasons clashes in Queensland over the years:

2011 - Southport (twice - Metricon wasn't available)
2012 - Metricon (twice)
2013 - Metricon, Southport, Townsville
2014 - Metricon (twice), Townsville
2015 - Metricon, Townsville
2016 - Metricon, Moreton Bay (Lions' home game)
2017 - Broadbeach, Mackay, Metricon

So once the 2017 season is complete, the major regional cities of Cairns, Townsville and Mackay will have all hosted Suns' matches. Cairns is the obvious priority as it has a larger Aussie rules following than any of the other north QLD cities and is going to produce more AFL players (see Harbrow, Dixon, Bowes). That's why the club continues to play home and away matches up there. Then you have Townsville which is a completely different kettle of fish because, despite it having the largest population of the north Queensland area, there is a well-established NRL team there to compete with. Townsville is also less Aussie rules inclined than Cairns so it makes sense to regularly play pre-season games there. Mackay is almost the forgotten city of the north which is why it's great to see the AFL taking a pre-season game there. I know the city had previously hosted ANZAC Day NEAFL matches so they're obviously ramping things up in Mackay.

I think Rockhampton is really the only major city that has missed out so far. The Capricornia/Central Queensland area is challenging in its own right so it could be a few years off but I think most supporters would like to see a pre-season game played in Rockhampton one day in the foreseeable future.

apparently Barry Hall was a huge hit with Lynch, May, Wright the guys said he was throwing Lynchy around showing him how to fend off your guy by throwing a palm into their chest prior to leading

Surely pushing off you opponent to create space on the lead is forward class 101, surely the boys already knew this or am I missing something?

Excellent news. A new era is really beginning
Good things to happen this offseason:
  • Picking up Barlow, Hanley, Lyons and Witts
  • Good deals for Prestia and O'Meara
  • A good draw
  • Getting top picks and turning them into players we need (Bowes, Scheer, Brodie, Ainsworth, Scrimshaw)
  • Signing Barry Hall
  • Swallow re-signing
  • Rory Thompson re-signs
  • No injuries
  • Making Lynch, May co-captains
Bad things
  • Garlett leaving (but allowed us to get Barlow)
  • The Ablett drama

Excellent news. A new era is really beginning
Good things to happen this offseason:
  • Picking up Barlow, Hanley, Lyons and Witts
  • Good deals for Prestia and O'Meara
  • A good draw
  • Getting top picks and turning them into players we need (Bowes, Scheer, Brodie, Ainsworth, Scrimshaw)
  • Signing Barry Hall
  • Swallow re-signing
  • Rory Thompson re-signs
  • No injuries
  • Making Lynch, May co-captains
Bad things
  • Garlett leaving (but allowed us to get Barlow)
  • The Ablett drama

And the big one , no injuries pre xmas at this stage barr Rischa.

Surely pushing off you opponent to create space on the lead is forward class 101, surely the boys already knew this or am I missing something?
Don't forget Iva our first 4 years were all about getting games into the kids, and when we hit that magical 50-75 game mark the kids were all going to turn into overnight superstars remember ;)

Congratulations to Lynch and May on their appointments. Who is likely to get vice and deputy roles?

Congratulations to Lynch and May on their appointments. Who is likely to get vice and deputy roles?
Rischa has to be a stone cold certainty along with Harbs.. Swallow needs to get on the park but you would think he is in the running and Touk is just leadership personified, despite his relative youth..

judging by how much our guys lock into wrestling their defenders when the ball is coming into the 50 seems like we only got to lesson 100 so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back