News 2017 St Kilda in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-04/new-twoyear-deal-for-kiwiborn-saint

New two-year deal for Kiwi-born Saint
Marc McGowan
September 4, 2017 11:30 AM

533297-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Rowan Marshall made his AFL debut in round 18 this season

ST KILDA has rewarded New Zealand-born key-position prospect Rowan Marshall with a two-year contract.

The 21-year-old joined the Saints with pick 10 in last year's NAB AFL Rookie Draft after a striking VFL season for North Ballarat.

Marshall kicked 22 goals in 16 VFL games this season for Sandringham and impressed enough to be elevated to the senior list mid-year and earn an AFL debut against Sydney in round 18.

The 201cm ruck-forward, who has also spent time in defence, won 14 disposals and had five hit-outs that night.
Congrats Rowan!

There's 2 very good articles in us in this mornings theroar.com.au.

One is on list management and trade period/draft analysis.....the other a season review.

The lengthy article on our list management is excellent.

It certainly does give hope for the future.

I personally find the articles on roar much more insightful than other sites.......they usually cut the fluff and go to "the bones" of things.

Great site !
I notice that they invite contributions from readers too, something to think about for those interested in writing.

I was looking forward to Damian Barrett's unbiased assessment! Who would have thought he would give us a fail grade?!?

What surprised me was when discussing Jake Carlisle's 12 months out of the game, Garry Lyon made a reference to it being self-inflicted. WTF???

Garry Lyon finally lost me when he was talking about respect towards women etc after the Murphy incident, I know he was going through some sh*t at the time but he should be the last one speaking about morals etc. So from now on I might purchase in print what he manufactures so I can wipe my backside with it.

I was looking forward to Damian Barrett's unbiased assessment! Who would have thought he would give us a fail grade?!?

What surprised me was when discussing Jake Carlisle's 12 months out of the game, Garry Lyon made a reference to it being self-inflicted. WTF???

They were talking about his "off field" actions 2 years ago.

I really get the impression that they think that guys like Billings, Lonie and Gresh are 26 years old. Surely they won't get any better right?.

Freeman is a liability. Yes we will be much better without him Purple you silly person.
( After finally getting a hamstring injury free season into him ).

AFL greats reveal how clubs are placed to transition from retiring greats to next generation

“YOU can never replace legends but what you can do is learn.”

St Kilda great Danny Frawley has witnessed generational change first hand but believes a club can ensure big shoes are filled quickly.

The Saints are one of several clubs about to find out the true meaning of “the show must go on” as Nick Riewoldt leaves a 336-game, 718-goal hole in the St Kilda forward line.

TRADE FAIL: VICKERY BANNED AS HAWKS PONDER OPTIONS

NEW TALENT: WHO REALLY WON THE 2016 DRAFT?

NO THANKS: TIGERS WANTED SAINT NICK TO PLAY ON

And while Sean Dempster’s early retirement was lessened by the arrival of Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown, Alan Richardson will need to find a replacement for Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna.

Frawley sees parallels with Tony Lockett’s exit in 1994.

“When Tony Lockett left, the club played in a Grand Final three years later,” he told the Herald Sun.

ddbff9ba6d9a31ba6280749f34a4bef1

Leigh Montagna and Nick Riewoldt have hung up the boots.
“Nick Riewoldt won’t be replaced but what you can do is have guys who can combine to fill his shoes.

“We got a few games this year that gave a taste of the future ... young Josh Battle, Hugh Goddard and Josh Bruce can, as a collective fill the void.”

Bruce and Tim Membrey have both kicked more than 30 goals in the past two years and are already established players.

Battle, 18, debuted this season and at 193cm and 89kg is a Riewoldt clone.

The end was far more abrupt for Dempster as concussion stopped his career in its tracks.

However, it allowed Dylan Roberton to have a career year that saw him named in the All-Australian squad, while Brown and Carlisle fitted in seamlessly.

There is no harder task for clubs than finding the “heir to the throne”.

Haven't bothered watching the AFL site's assessment of our season as I don't rate the judges but I would think a C or a D is not a huge shock.

We did a lot right, made headway on our pledge to arrest the pastings and present better interstate. We integrated Carlisle and Steele (and to a lesser extent Stevens) successfully into our best 22, and in Carlisle and Brown solved our backline problem, even if it's short term in the case of Brown. A few of our guys took the next step in Sinclair, Roberton, Billings, Ross, Freeman (yes only at VFL but coming from a long way back). We changed captains for the first time in years, from one of our most popular and celebrated captains in our history. We broke record membership numbers for what it's worth and had a handful of great games. We had a harder draw and only won one less game than last season and last but not least we sent off 3 club legends appropriately.

However, we put in some dreadful efforts when it really counted too, we weren't able to conquer our biggest bête noir all season - kicking for goal. Many of the guys we were looking at to take the club forward took a step backwards or at best stagnated (Newnes, Weller, Bruce, Membrey, Dunstan, Steven, Armitage, McCartin, Lonie, McKenzie, Goddard, plus debatably Webster, Acres, Savage), nor did we get especially great service from our debutants.

Overall in a very even year, we had plenty of opportunities to be in the position of Richmond or Port and we blew it. Those Demons games, the Port game, the Bulldogs game, the Dons game: No sugarcoating it, we could have won them all, and should have made it happen if we really wanted finals, wanted to give Roo & Joey one last crack. We simply failed, or came as close to a fail as you can while technically passing. A disappointing pass = D.

As for Freo, they are a basket case. The fact that they won any games at all and stopped their golden child from leaving gets them a B+ I suppose.

Last edited:
MELBOURNE is the frontrunner to secure the services of Jake Lever, but what if the Crows get a better offer?

The SuperFooty Podcast’s Sam Landsberger and Anthony Hudson believe the gun defender is set to leave Adelaide, but there are several other clubs in the race.

SCROLL DOWN TO LEAVE YOUR TRADE AND FREE AGENCY QUESTIONS FOR JON RALPH TO ANSWER FROM 12.30PM WEDNESDAY

PLAYERS SURVEY: ‘LEAVE OUR GAME ALONE’

BRIGHT FUTURE: HOW ESSENDON GOT ITS GROOVE BACK

5345de283c3b3ddc4d854040db67a8dd

Where will Jake Lever be in 2018? Picture: Sarah Reed
And while the popular belief is Lever wants to get to Melbourne, Hudson believes it should be up to the club.

“It really shouldn’t be up to Jake Lever where he goes, it should be up to Adelaide,” Hudson said.

“If Adelaide play their hand hard and Collingwood or the Bulldogs have a got a better hand... which they will, would Jake Lever really hold them to that and then be prepared to go to Brisbane in the first round of the preseason (draft)?”

CADDYSHACK: HARDWICK’S TOUGHEST DECISION

Landsberger said history says clubs “deal with the player’s destination of choice”.

“Essendon was better equipped to deal for Jaeger O’Meara last year, but it was always Hawthorn, it’s just the way it works out,” Landsberger said.

Hello Darkness My Old Friend
SPONSORED CONTENT

Lauren Wood said clubs had the right to hold their line on contracted players.

b12595b32b5b548f13a3481d9a536a14

Josh Kelly is yet to put pen to paper for the Giants. Picture: AAP
In other trade chatter, Jacob Hopper’s re-signing at GWS was significant, given the discussion around Giants’ superstar Josh Kelly.

“I’ve heard both sides of the argument here ... If Josh was going to go, Hopper was going to go, and if Josh was going to stay, he would stay, the other side is there was more money for Hopper if Josh goes,” Hudson said.

Landsberger believed Kelly was “most likely to stay, but there’s still no pen on paper” and believed clubs would also be interested in out of contract Giant Matt Kennedy.

“We think Lever will go, Dusty (Martin) stayed, (Nat) Fyfe stayed, Kelly and Lever now are the big ones.”

Mark Robinson says the Bulldogs should go after Port Adelaide’s Jackson Trengove, but said they shouldn’t “give up too much for him”.

Landsberger said Hawthorn would “love” to send disappointing former Tiger Ty Vickery to a third club, while Brisbane could swoop on Collingwood’s Canadian big man Mason Cox.

84fc0897915189c6bde2b04162bb672e

Mason Cox could be on the move up north. Picture: AAP
Comments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't bothered watching the AFL site's assessment of our season as I don't rate the judges but I would think a C or a D is not a huge shock.
Great post there austinnn....I reckon you summed up the year very very well.

St Kilda end of season review: How I’d fix the Saints

ST KILDA started the 2017 season brightly, but faded into obscurity and missed the finals again.

They’ve farewelled a couple of legends, but have their eye on a superstar Giant.

LAUREN WOOD runs the rule over what went right and wrong for the Saints and what needs to happen for them to take the next step in 2018

bd4e3d2ba9f505d83f32a49b28301b69

Club champions Leigh Montagna and Nick Riewoldt have played their final matches. Picture: Getty Images
THE SEASON ROUND UP
Finals had been the aim and the Saints only narrowly missed out, ending the season with an 11-11 record, in 11th spot and just one game outside the top eight. But it wasn’t without positives, with rousing wins over Greater Western Sydney and Richmond two of their strongest showings of the year. There had been talk of September, having kicked things off with a 5-3 first eight rounds but things faltered from there with a few costly losses. Veterans Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna were farewelled without a sought-after premiership, the latter following a lengthy hamstring injury.

794e0b820ccbbfe119c23766d4119a90

Paddy McCartin only managed five AFL matches in 2017 as he battled concussion issues. Picture: AAP
THE PROBLEM(S)
The Saints — while stacked with plenty of hard workers in the middle — lacked vital polish and outside run through the midfield. That comes with experience, and Jack Steven led the way as best he could and was assisted in there by the likes of Seb Ross and Luke Dunstan, but the final flourish was often missing. The team was also plagued by inconsistency in front of goal, booting more behinds than goals in a competition-high 12 games this season and failing to get bang for buck. Paddy McCartin’s concussion issues continued to plague him, with the young forward suffering his sixth concussion since 2014 and ruled out indefinitely, having played just five games this season.

9302339a713e8f490dcdcf858ac7f199

New additions to the St Kilda's leadership group L-R. Josh Bruce, Seb Ross and Dylan Roberton. Pic: Michael Klein
THE SOLUTION
Things are already underway as the Saints look to rectify their goalkicking woes — the reality is, they simply must. Veteran defender Sam Gilbert revealed last month that former Swan and Hawk Ben McGlynn has been driving the program, that has seen a more specific emphasis placed on the craft. Having an extra year of experience paid dividends for the likes of Seb Ross and Dylan Roberton, who the Saints will be hoping take another step next year, and Jake Carlisle was finding his groove by season’s end. Time is key.

THE TARGET
There’s one Giant who would go a long way to boosting the Saints. Josh Kelly’s class would be welcomed at Seaford, with the Saints regularly linked to the soon-to-be out-of-contract star midfielder who is maintaining that no decision will be made until the end of the season. He grew up in Melbourne’s bayside area of Sandringham, which St Kilda will be hoping helps their case, while hold picks seven and eight at the draft table which could help in getting the deal done.

a46d2c54d04ebc1458b309e88266fe1e

Josh Kelly would provide some extra polish to the Saints. Picture: Getty Images
THE DREAM/BLUE SKY IDEA
Wouldn’t it be huge for the Saints to land Josh Kelly? On so many levels. Hooking a big fish can pay off for years to come, and his polish and class would rub off on so many others. Paddy McCartin plays every game and fills the gap left by Riewoldt up forward by booting 50 goals, with Riewoldt staying on as an assistant coach and playing a vital part in a finals campaign. Now wouldn’t that be a fairytale.

b5ea693464e271d7b59c62fbc6fdf52a

The Saints Alan Richardson Picture: AAP
THE COACH
Alan Richardson is contracted for next season with Saints chief executive Matt Finnis already expressing a desire to get a contract extension in front of him to ensure that 2018 is not a year with any uncertainty. “It is certainly on our mind and we are very confident Richo is our man for the long term,’’ Finnis said last month. “We know it’s just a matter of what is the right time to have that conversation and what that starts to look like going forward. They are all conversations to have internally and at the right time we will do those.”

BUCKY SAYS
While the Saints have been linked to GWS star Josh Kelly ... (they) should also be talking to Kelly’s teammates Lachie Whitfield and Devon Smith.

760f6ee49f53b120fd4d609cd5a5248a

Giant Lachie Whitfield should also be a target of the Saints. Picture: Phil Hillyard
THE STATS
The Saints were third in the competition for tackle differential and won the clearances by an average of 2.5 a game, ranked third. But they were 12th for points scored and 11th for points against. What is it that sets them apart?

2018 PREDICTION
Between 5th and 8th.

Well that's a pretty balanced article and a pretty positive prediction for 2018......

But why must they choose Paddy McCartin pictures where he looks a bit 'special'?

Nothing in the Barrel or Woods articles that we haven't already discussed, no great insight. The AFL video link I didnt bother watching after the first sight of Garry Lyon's face.
IMG_1041.JPG

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-08/incredibly-elite-dog-could-bolster-saints-engine-room

'Elite' Dog could bolster Saints' engine room
Ryan Davidson September 8, 2017 10:55 AM
531569-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Jake Stringer's future at the Dogs is in doubt

We would be interested in any player that could complement (the recruiting) we've already done
Alan Richardson on Jake Stringer
ST KILDA coach Alan Richardson says the "incredibly elite attributes" of Jake Stringer would make the reportedly disgruntled Western Bulldog a player of interest to the Saints.

Speculation is mounting that Stringer is seeking a fresh start at another club after two inconsistent seasons following All Australian selection in 2015.

Despite being contracted for 2018, the premiership Bulldog looms with out-of-contract Giant Josh Kelly as two of the most sought-after players in next month's NAB Trade Period.

The Saints will hold a strong hand at the trade table, with club possessing two top-10 picks and plenty of salary cap room.

Kelly has been strongly linked to the Saints recently, while AFL.com.au understands Geelong is leading the race to secure Stringer's services if he leaves the Dogs.

When asked about the likelihood of attracting Stringer and Kelly to the club, Richardson said the Saints would be looking to add quality players to their young list.

"We would be interested in any player that could complement (the recruiting) we've already done, and (Jake) has some incredibly elite attributes, so if he is (available), I'm sure as a list management group we'll look at players like that," Richardson told SEN on Friday.

"To be honest, I don't really know where it all sits (with Kelly), but what I know as a footy club (is) we're looking to complement the list, and we like the work we've done.

"It's awkward to talk about, and I apologise to our fans for being generic, but we're after quality players.

"If it is we don't get a player of that sort and quality, we'll go to the draft with pick seven and eight, and that's pretty exciting."

Kelly would add class to Saints' midfield boasting young stars Seb Ross, Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Jack Sinclair, but Stringer's explosiveness would give their engine room a point of difference.

While the 24-year-old has only spent limited time on the ball during his five seasons at Whitten Oval, Richardson says Stringer has the physical capabilities to log more minutes in the midfield.

"(The midfield) is certainly an area where he's done a bit for the Bulldogs," Richardson said.

"I'm not sure about when somebody is incredibly explosive, they don't then have endurance to match, otherwise you end up with a freak like (Chris) Judd.

"There's not many of those (players around) … but he has that capability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back