Certified Legendary Thread 2017 The Summer of George Trade Period Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't expect us to get 100% right. It is fine. Still, why have we traded Austin?
I reckon he got pissed off at limited opportunities, he wanted to move, we didn't stand in his way. I'm ok with that. We still have the three others we got with those latish picks that year: Palmer, Dougs and Frampton.

I reckon he got pissed off at limited opportunities, he wanted to move, we didn't stand in his way. I'm ok with that. We still have the three others we got with those latish picks that year: Palmer, Dougs and Frampton.

I don’t know how to say this but.....

Palmer was delisted several days ago

Port to rookie Jesse Palmer

#yepconfirmed

images

Are there any bed poopers left after our 2 DFA acquisitions? Doesn’t take much to change sentiment.
I was totally disappointed on the final day of trade period. It seemed as if we lost our nerve and gave away too much for too little and really should've looked at holding Austin to his contract or really putting the heat on Young to stay, as the exodus gained momentum.

Now however I'm happy that it appears the plan was just to do the right thing by the players that wanted to move, based on the belief we could restock the depth players we were losing.

I disagree with the others that our strategy needs to be looked at over multiple years. You only need to look at this year in isolation.

Went into the off season with pick 30 and 48. Nothing picks. Knowing we couldn't get much talent in by the draft we were aggressive at free agency and importantly got what we needed. We then unfortunately had an exodus of our depth, something I'm sure that the list management team would've been disappointed by, but they decided to roll with it. They didn't quite extract the value out of the exodus that we wanted, but they did manage to boost our position in next year's draft. We then have attacked the DFAs trying to fill the holes that losing Young and AhChee created. We were able to successfully bring in a VFL best and fairest and former #2 Pick who should assist Atleys development by taking some of the focus off him. We then got McKenzie another experienced player who will slot into the Magpies well off a half back and hopefully release Bonner to a wing.

Overall we've significantly improved our 22 and we've had some minimal depth losses, whilst boosting our drafting status next year, and removing our reliance on this years poor draft picks and mediocre draft crop.

My main concern now is a key forward. We need a backup key forward. Crameri for me is a no brainer if he is interested in extending his career. We need someone that can sit in the SANFL for a year and take the focus off Marshall, or any other young KP forwards we draft this year. As right now that area is a gaping hole on our depth chart.

Last edited:
What we have done the last 2 years... trades bringing in who we have for the little we have given away.... and if we ace the 2018 draft and maybe find a rough diamond in this draft it will go down as well.... * it lost 4 words on how well I think we have done. * it bring on 2018 onwards....

I was totally disappointed on the final day of trade period. It seemed as if we lost our nerve and gave away too much for too little and really should've looked at holding Austin to his contract or really putting the heat on Young to stay, as the exodus gained momentum.

Now however I'm happy that it appears the plan was just to do the right thing by the players that wanted to move, based on the belief we could restock the depth players we were losing.

I disagree with the others that our strategy needs to be looked at over multiple years. You only need to look at this year in isolation.

Went into the off season with pick 30 and 48. Nothing picks. Knowing we couldn't get much talent in by the draft we were aggressive at free agency and importantly got what we needed. We then unfortunately had an exodus of our depth, something I'm sure that the list management team would've been disappointed by, but they decided to roll with it. They didn't quite extract the value out of the exodus that we wanted, but they did manage to boost our position in next year's draft. We then have attacked the DFAs trying to fill the holes that losing Young and AhChee created. We were able to successfully bring in a VFL best and fairest and former #2 Pick who should assist Atleys development by taking some of the focus off him. We then got McKenzie another experienced player who will slot into the Magpies well off a half back and hopefully release Bonner to a wing.

Overall we've significantly improved our 22 and we've had some minimal depth losses, whilst boosting our drafting status next year, and removing our reliance on this years poor draft picks and mediocre draft crop.

My main concern now is a key forward. We need a backup key forward. Crameri for me is a no brainer if he is interested in extending his career. We need someone that can sit in the SANFL for a year and take the focus off Marshall, or any other young KP forwards we draft this year. As right now that area is a gaping hole on our depth chart.

The exodus seemed part of the plan; even though we would (could?) have liked keeping one or two of those who are gone. After all was done, we even delisted THREE players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The exodus seemed part of the plan; even though we would (could?) have liked keeping one or two of those who are gone. After all was done, we even delisted THREE players.
Palmer being delisted is still a shock to me. There is a plan for sure, guess all will be revealed.
We need some money for Ollie next year. Crows have bigger issues, needing money for Sloane plus triying to lure McGovern away from his home State.

Palmer was so vanilla it's not funny. We gave him a lot of time on the list and he just doesn't have any real defining assets.
He only just turned 21 last month. Would have thought Arch (24 next month) and Young (25 next month) leaving would have been a big opportunity for him to step up.

The club has done it before, ie delisted a player ( eg Poulton ) and later redrafted him, and Palmer could come under the same scenario, but I suspect if it does happen he would be looking at a rookie spot at best.

He only just turned 21 last month. Would have thought Arch (24 next month) and Young (25 next month) leaving would have been a big opportunity for him to step up.

Ah Chee couldn't make the 22 and he had weapons, though. I liked Palmer as a player, he was pretty tough and was consistent but his consistency/effectiveness was at a league quality level, not at an AFL quality level. Palmer is realistically a long way back the order, and the selection of Atley over him this year - and Drew as emergency for some games was probably the writing on the wall from his perspective.

There's no way it would've been part of our long term planning. It would've been something we had to plan around. Toumpas and Hewett are extremely lucky to still be playing AFL and pretty much purely because we couldn't afford to delist them.

There's no way it would've been part of our long term planning. It would've been something we had to plan around. Toumpas and Hewett are extremely lucky to still be playing AFL and pretty much purely because we couldn't afford to delist them.

Plans never go exactly they were designed, but work as guidelines.

I think you underrate Hewett.

I think you overrate anyone who’s ever pulled on a Port Adelaide jumper.

Name one quality of Cameron Hewett’s that makes you think ‘gee this guy is gonna be a good player at AFL level’. Not a great accumulator, not a great user, not a smooth mover, not anything special defensively. He should have been the first guy delisted. I don’t disagree with the club cutting any of Monfries, Krakouer, White, Palmer or Eddy, but I’d rather have any of them on the list next year than Hewett.

I think you overrate anyone who’s ever pulled on a Port Adelaide jumper.

Name one quality of Cameron Hewett’s that makes you think ‘gee this guy is gonna be a good player at AFL level’. Not a great accumulator, not a great user, not a smooth mover, not anything special defensively. He should have been the first guy delisted. I don’t disagree with the club cutting any of Monfries, Krakouer, White, Palmer or Eddy, but I’d rather have any of them on the list next year than Hewett.

I reckon I'd have Hewett to stay on the list ahead of all but Eddy and Palmer. The others were so cooked that realistically, even if the list had fallen apart they would have been unavailable for selection. Agree with the general thoughts on Hewett in any case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back