2017 vs 2019

Which was the better win?

Votes: 32 62.7%

Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing them imo just makes you realise how incredible 2017 was, and that I don't think I'll experience anything like that day ever again.
It was just pure emotion from everyone involved in the club and the fans. Seeing Benny, Richo and the boys tear up. Nothing will beat that.

2019 is also amazing in it's own way, but it was more of a satisfaction and confirmation of being the best and overcoming all those injuries this year.

This year is better because 2017 was so surreal and surprising. Having won it though I wanted to feel it again. Blew 2018 (had peaked at the wrong time of the year) and then when the injuries come along you realise again what an opportunity 2018 was and how hard they are to win. Thought we were gone half time during the Geelong match and then to watch Selwood, GAJ, Dangerfield and Scott walk off as losers. To see the heartbreaking Collingwood 2018 grand final and 2019 preliminary final loses. Picking up Lynch as a free agent against fierce competition, the Pickett story, stealing Sydney Stack in the draft and winning the Reserves premiership, which shows that our juniors are the equal of any club in the league and that the dynasty is not ending any time soon. And then to win in a massacre. Yep as good as 2017 was 2019 trumps it for me.

2017. Felt more special because it was the first nothing will ever beat that feeling. We were the underdogs and the game was intense for a while.

2019 I didn't feel nervous at all and we had it won early. As a contest it was boring and it certainly felt different for me.

I felt the joy more in 2017 GF and released that emotion. 2019 was just about the team doing justice for themselves after 2018.

As a fan, nothing will ever likely beat 2017 for me. Maybe if they were further apart, but 2019 is close and I still haven't lost the joy of 2017!

Nothing will ever compare to 2017... It was the most incredible sporting event ever.

2019 was beautiful, and rubber-stamped the beginning of our legacy/dynastic period.

It's actually ridiculous how we just don't let the other team score.

We are arguably too good at footy.

Yesterday was a clinical and ruthless display of our power. I don't know if we would have done it without the agony of 2018 prelim. I rate yesterday more because it confirms us as the super power, both on and off the field. The humility is astounding from players and coaches. The belief could see us back it up in 2020. It was only going to be us. The giants knew it too. So many great individual stories this year - injuries, stack, edwards as capt, grimes and Houli AA, lynch prelim, marlion etc. But the club never seemed affected by the lows or highs. 2019. The year the afl became tigerland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the club's perspective I can see why they would think 2019 is more special. The injuries early, losing our champion Rance, hitting the bye 7 wins 6 losses and then winning 12 in a row to win the flag. It's also a lot harder to win another flag shortly after you have already won one. I get it but from a supporters view nothing will ever take away that feeling of 2017 after such a long period of time being the competitions laughing stock, so many failures, so much emotion, for me it was everything I wanted since I was 7 years old kicking a footy out in the backyard and more.

2017 for me will never be beaten.

Dimma reckons this years flag win was more special than 2017.

2017, we broke a 37 year drought when no one (even us) thought we could.

2019 we overcame adversity after early season injuries and poor form and absolutely annihilated one of the most talented teams in the league.

Thoughts?
Put a poll ND to give us an indication statistically.

From the club's perspective I can see why they would think 2019 is more special. The injuries early, losing our champion Rance, hitting the bye 7 wins 6 losses and then winning 12 in a row to win the flag.

IT'S ALSO A LOT HARDER TO WIN ANOTHER FLAG SHORTLY AFTER YOU HAVE ALREADY WON ONE.

I get it but from a supporters view nothing will ever take away that feeling of 2017 after such a long period of time being the competitions laughing stock, so many failures, so much emotion, for me it was everything I wanted since I was 7 years old kicking a footy out in the backyard and more.

2017 for me will never be beaten.

Apologies for the butcher job on your post but I can’t seem to bold these quotes now.

The separated statement though is a big misnomer in my opinion. Since I was born in late 1966 there have been 21 incidences in 53 seasons of a team winning a flag where they had won at least one in the previous two seasons, which suggests that all being equal if you win a flag you are roughly a $2.50 chance to win another within the next two seasons. There have been 25 instances of a team winning where they had not won within the previous 5 completed seasons. If you extend that to having not won in the previous 10 seasons....it has happened about 18 times. If you go even further and say teams who have won a flag without fielding a player who had won a flag for them before....only about 15 times.

Based on these results it suggests if anything it is more likely you will win a subsequent flag within five seasons than it is you will go without winning a subsequent flag within 5 seasons. Since 2000 there are 7 teams in 20 seasonss who have won a subsequent flag within 2 seasons of their previous flag.

Last edited:
2017 I cried for two days.
2019 I laughed for two days.

Both years we came from nowhere and made ballsy changes that backed new players in and they both came off .

The 2017 side played that rolling scrum manic pressure footy whilst the 2019 was more about preciseness accuracy and class.

Still have to have 2017 as the monkey on our backs after 37years were gone and it rocked the rest of the AFL as the Richmond jokes had ended and envy had set into their worlds.

Last edited:
2017 was just a surprise to me... we hit the finals with incredible form looking like we could win it... I was super nervous at the Geelong final and when we started to get on top in the 3rd quarter I started to believe we could win the whole thing as we were going to the "weaker" side of the finals at the time and faced GWS who looked pedestrian against us that day after a few blazing plays through the corridor... I was not able to get a ticket for the 2017 GF and was at the RFC Live Site which I thoroughly enjoyed high fiving and hugging random strangers nearby throughout the day... didn't even know BigFooty existed to get right into the celebrations as I re-watched my Foxtel recordings at the time... It was more surreal than impressively joyous to me.

2019 rolls around and I've been thoroughly enjoying posting and reading BigFooty. Being unemployed and heavily invested in every analysis of the game I could find, I watched every game throughout the season (minimum highlights) and commented when I could on "Game Day" threads as I find the commentary there very helpful to see parts of the game you can't when you're at the stadium. As the bye passed and we started to trickle back some talent, the joy of winning over the coming weeks was just fantastic to behold... hitting form again at the right time of year and seeing everbody hit the goals and the defense being rock solid... finals time hits and the inevitable seemed to be an RFC flag... first final couldn't go but thoroughly enjoyed bashing the Bears with a different method to the last round and then moving on to the Prelim against the Scats... both games we absorbed a massive punch and then just overran and outskilled both opponents... moved onto the GF and this is the first one in my life I was able to get tickets for and sitting in a full MCG with 90% RFC support is just an unbelieveable experience on face value, let alone the fair dinkum drubbing we gave those plastic campaigners :) euphoria struck half way through the 2nd quarter and I was riding that wave of happiness all day, all evening, all night and all of Sunday :) came down from cloud 9 this morning but still elated at experiencing this premiership :D :D :D :D

2019 more special. The brutality like the Tigers of old (watch the last 4 minutes - we were still smashing in), the Pickett story and the potential now to have an era.
Also the redemption from the 2018 mistimed run, gastro and Martin leg injury.
2017 could have been a flash in the pan if we didn't win this year.

Back